What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

I may have asked about this before. Often when I've used a slingshot, and also with archery sometimes, I feel like I'm over extending my elbow. Any comments?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I may have asked about this before. Often when I've used a slingshot, and also with archery sometimes, I feel like I'm over extending my elbow. Any comments?
You mean the elbow holding the slingshot or bow, not not the pulling arm I assume. You may be one with a little more than average range of motion in the elbow meaning instead of the arm going straight you can actually go a few degrees hyper extended. If this is your case try not to straighten the arm as much as you can. Stop a little sooner.

You mean the elbow holding the slingshot or bow, not not the pulling arm I assume. You may be one with a little more than average range of motion in the elbow meaning instead of the arm going straight you can actually go a few degrees hyper extended. If this is your case try not to straighten the arm as much as you can. Stop a little sooner.
Yes, the subdominant arm holding the bow. I do try holding the bow without locking my elbow, but then it sometimes feels like it snaps to full extension on release. I'm saying bow because it's easier, but the same with a slingshot.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thanks for bringing up worthless animals and nuts!

You reminded me of something my wife showed me on FakeBook today!

Some wackey millennial had posted a selfie of themselves holding a wild 20lb. lookin' 'possum! She "rescued" it! These kids got too much time and money today!

Ya know what we called a 20 pound possum? DINNER!

LOL, I guess I figgered out what she rescued it from!
I could have got this one for you a couple of weeks ago. Get the war dept on that with some taters and carrots. LOL
DSCN1838.JPG

One more before I am able to hopefully get out and shoot. Lots of snow still:

Backyard Oak, shaped and made with hand tools (except lanyard hole), Filed, Rasped, Sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 5-6 coats.

It's got a few curves, forks lined up and even, grain popped quite a bit on this one, some bark left of butt and lightly epoxied to stabilize that area. I tried to dig deep enough into the body to bring out some meat colour.

Backyard Oak, shaped and made with hand tools (except lanyard hole), Filed, Rasped, Sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 5-6 coats.

It's got a few curves, forks lined up and even, grain popped quite a bit on this one, some bark left of butt and lightly epoxied to stabilize that area. I tried to dig deep enough into the body to bring out some meat colour.

Thanks for looking and getting me off my butt to make a few frames:
1647366318624.png

1647366333279.png

1647366342457.png

1647366351452.png

1647366364800.png

1647366374939.png

1647366383905.png

1647366390677.png

1647366399826.png

1647366405971.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
More beautiful work!

In March, crows return here ... frequently raiding nests for baby birds. I don't think I've ever hit a crow with a slingshot marble, but they do consider such a "cease and desist" order!

AA

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Whipped this up over the past couple weeks.

Lilac backyard Natural, hand rasps and files, sanded to 3k, Danish Oil, TBG.

Large surface cacks were stabilized with 2 part epoxy and superglue was used for the finer ones.

A few build pics:

PXL_20221210_194638411~2.jpg

PXL_20221210_213139336.jpg

PXL_20221210_201743937.jpg

Completed:
PXL_20221227_173321165.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221227_173255604.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221227_173436681.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221227_173420910.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221227_173350190.PORTRAIT.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks!

This one had some nice lilac/purple color deep in the meat of the wood.

I was able to bring a bit out, a few spots, without going to skinny on the frame.
Must've been some work with that rasp! I never would have thought of using the "caliper?" thingy. Ingenious.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Slingshots remain a good choice for many things... Eye-hand coordination. Distance estimation. Cheap ammo with dollar store marbles and eBay ball bearings. They are almost silent, and a good thing while hiking. I'd think a carefully placed marble would stop a bear from looting a knocked over trash can. (Not endorsing this of course. But you can't kill one for this offense, and changing their behavior can save the bear's life. Why, I once dissuaded a very large alligator from eating a bobber with a Daisy BB gun).

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ka-Bar slingshot should arrive today. Reviews state the included band is flimsy, but I've got both types of bands on hand.

I see where the super-popular brand is now like $50! That's a lot for a plastic molded slingshot, IMO. Handmade wooden ones have the most soul, for sure, and soul counts with personal gear - Zippos, leather holsters, etc.

AA

Top Bottom