What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

My Wasp Delta Wing frame arrived a few days ago.

proxy.php

A few others I have made since I last posted.....a small bark on natural is in my shop drying at the moment too.

Most are made from oak and maple trees from our yard.

Given away:
IMG_20170508_164649.jpg

Given away:
IMG_20180322_174213.jpg

Given away:
IMG_20180330_133521.jpg

Given away:
IMG_20180516_171616.jpg

I consider this one my peak at making:
IMG_20180519_175904.jpg

Kept:
IMG_20180521_082156.jpg

Kept, one of my favorite to shoot:
IMG_20180526_174614.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A few others I have made since I last posted.....a small bark on natural is in my shop drying at the moment too.

Most are made from oak and maple trees from our yard.

Given away:
View attachment 1366277

Given away:
View attachment 1366280

Given away:
View attachment 1366281

Given away:
View attachment 1366282

I consider this one my peak at making:
View attachment 1366283

Kept:
View attachment 1366284

Kept, one of my favorite to shoot:
View attachment 1366285

You da man!

A little bark on, hardwood (unknown type) shooter I recently finished. This is probably my favorite sized shooter to make. Finished with Danish Oil and banded with 3/4"-5/8" TBG tapers and a SuperSure pouch.

One more in the works but it's not done yet. It'll be a bit more curvy and not as rustic.

PXL_20220123_210308415.jpg
PXL_20220123_210215779.jpg
PXL_20220123_210243399.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll have to look up "Danish oil", as it looks like something that would work out great for a project I never finished, no pun intended.

FarmerTan

I use Tried & True brand from Lee Valley.
Does it actually dry after rubbing it on? I'll take a picture of my cane I made from a piece of a limb of a "Harry Lauder's walking stick tree that was planted by my Father In Law. Crazy looking thing, but so am I. I've got some of Linseed Oil I took before his estate sale. That might work...

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
FYI @FarmerTan et al
Danish oil - not really made from Danes. It's an oil varnish mix. Typically some poly urethane, some boiled linseed and a bit of mineral spirts.

I've used Watco. Works fine. They all do really. Formby's Tung finish is the same as in Minwax antique oil, or tung oil finish, Maloofs - same thing. If you have the supplies (any oil based varnish or poly, any drying oil such as tung, linseed, or walnut, and some mineral spirits to thin it a bit) you can make your own. 1:1:1 of all three is a very useable mix.

You can use pure Tung oil or boiled linseed but they must be used very thin and still take a couple days or more of 70 + degree dry air to properly dry for the next coat. That is why I tend to go with an oil varnish mix like Danish or the others, it might smell a bit, but in 24 hours you have a very dry item. It's easy to use, and won't build a film on top unless you do many coats.

You can go that route or if you want something that works well and builds a bit quicker, use Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil.

You can DM or ask more questions here if you need to.

Does it actually dry after rubbing it on? I'll take a picture of my cane I made from a piece of a limb of a "Harry Lauder's walking stick tree that was planted by my Father In Law. Crazy looking thing, but so am I. I've got some of Linseed Oil I took before his estate sale. That might work...
Yes, it dries. It doesn't give it a clear poly coat like some other finishes. I follow the directions, but it's basically: apply light coat with rag, let sit a while, rub off....repeat until 4-5 times or until it won't accept any more oil. It can be reapplied in the future as needed. It is not a waterproof finish, but is water resistant.

It penetrates the wood. I apply multiple coats. It doesn't change the color of the wood much, just brings out the grain.

As @Chandu said, it's basically a Linseed oil.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes, it dries. It doesn't give it a clear poly coat like some other finishes. I follow the directions, but it's basically: apply light coat with rag, let sit a while, rub off....repeat until 4-5 times or until it won't accept any more oil. It can be reapplied in the future as needed. It is not a waterproof finish, but is water resistant.

It penetrates the wood. I apply multiple coats. It doesn't change the color of the wood much, just brings out the grain.

As @Chandu said, it's basically a Linseed oil.
Oil varnish mixes like this are a very nice way to finish for a couple of reasons in my mind.

1. To use varnish straight away, for best results you need a good badger brush and a dust and insect free environment that has good ventilation. Ventilation and dust free generally don't mix or at least in a low cost way that is available to the average Joe.

1a. Some items you don't want a thick coat on top of so that is something to keep in mind too. It's easy to lose the feel of the wood which I think is nice on a hand held item like a sling shot.

2. The application is so easy, just do what @brucered said and you can't fail.

Linseed oil will bring out the grain in wood more than just about any other oil. I don't care for it on light colored woods, but on something like walnut, it really comes into it's own.

Another point in favor of an oil varnish mix and not building a heavy surface coat is that if you do get a scratch or some damage an you want to fix, it's pretty easy to scuff the item with some 320 grit or a bit higher grit and give it another coat or two.

These are old school finishes that give an easy way for the average person without much cost or specialized knowledge to get good results on woodworking projects they have done.

The pros have moved on to specialized two part lacquers and things I haven't even heard of. My mom used to paint custom rifle stock. (Fiberglass stocks), she painted scenes or patters or whatever a customer could dream up and when she was done, it went into town to the auto body guy and he would spray it with automotive clear coat.

On the other hand, my grandfather used linseed oil and hand rubbed his finishes and checkered them too. My dad did the same starting out and later adopted some of the newer finishes such as Lin-Speed, Gun-Sav'r, Permalyn and Tru-oil, etc prior to the fiberglass stocks taking over.

Made a slim, curvy, backyard oak last weekend and finished oiling this week.

Rasps, files, knives, hand sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 4-5 coats.

Added banding grooves, brass lanyard hole and branded makers mark on butt end.

PXL_20220228_221612713.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_221626848.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_221724308.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_221223095.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_221230663.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_223832131.jpg
PXL_20220228_221210838.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220228_221717319.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220220_203738302~2.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Made a slim, curvy, backyard oak last weekend and finished oiling this week.

Rasps, files, knives, hand sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 4-5 coats.

Added banding grooves, brass lanyard hole and branded makers mark on butt end.

View attachment 1417378View attachment 1417379View attachment 1417381View attachment 1417384View attachment 1417385View attachment 1417386View attachment 1417387View attachment 1417388View attachment 1417390
Very pretty stick you've got there. I have a yard full of oak, I should be on the lookout. Also have a couple of elms, but they are smaller and not into losing branches big enough. I suspect elm would make a nice one too.

As a kid in the late 50s/early 60s, we didn't have the money or know-how for sling-shots. We would cut up an old inner tube, stretch one band over a piece of 1x2 wood, to anchor half a clothespin trigger at the other end, and shoot each other with inner tube bands. They didn't travel as far as a sling shot, but if you stretched them far enough, they still hurt like hell.

FarmerTan

As a kid in the late 50s/early 60s, we didn't have the money or know-how for sling-shots. We would cut up an old inner tube, stretch one band over a piece of 1x2 wood, to anchor half a clothespin trigger at the other end, and shoot each other with inner tube bands. They didn't travel as far as a sling shot, but if you stretched them far enough, they still hurt like hell.
The thrill of hurting your brother is only trumped by the feeling of begging him not to tell mom....

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I grew up with wrist rockets and blackbirds and their nests in pine trees. To heck with marbles and rocks. Dad always wondered why he kept running out of 1/2 inch nuts.

They make a cool sound going through the air.

FarmerTan

I grew up with wrist rockets and blackbirds and their nests in pine trees. To heck with marbles and rocks. Dad always wondered why he kept running out of 1/2 inch nuts.

They make a cool sound going through the air.
Thanks for bringing up worthless animals and nuts!

You reminded me of something my wife showed me on FakeBook today!

Some wackey millennial had posted a selfie of themselves holding a wild 20lb. lookin' 'possum! She "rescued" it! These kids got too much time and money today!

Ya know what we called a 20 pound possum? DINNER!

LOL, I guess I figgered out what she rescued it from!

Top Bottom