What's new

It's the Ink-quisition!

I'd be curious to know what ink(s) people have acquired recently and/or have hanging out in their shopping carts for the next purchase.

My most-recently acquireds are DeAtramentis 'Sherlock Holmes' (mindnight blue) and 'Johann Sebastian Bach' (sort of oxblood-ish). I LOVE the Sherlock Holmes, but mostly bought the JS Bach because I like DeAtramentis bottles so much. After I received it, I realized that the ink itself was largely redundant given my bottles of Diamine Oxblood, Writer's Blood, and Ancient Copper.

My next purchases will be DeAtramentis Archive Ink (quite black), and Blue and Green Document inks.

What say you/y'all/yinz?

-Greg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I am relatively new to fountain pens (only a few years), and have been trying to find my favourites. Unsurprisingly, I have ended up with 20+ colours totalling over half a litre of ink. I have found some favourites along the way, but it will be a very long time before I need to order more.

I'll happily be sticking with Quink for my black, and all my others are Diamine. Sherwood Green, Burnt Sienna, Chocolate Brown and Red Dragon will all be reordered in time. Maybe Oxblood or Burgundy Royale too. I'm not fully settled on blue or purple yet though, but Midnight, Sapphire Blue, Bilberry, and Grape are the current front runners.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is what I call an enabler thread.

1678938662953.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I went nuts awhile back and pretty much covered the spectrum. I’ve got a large box of enough inks to last, well … a long time.
However you did get me interested by mentioning green document ink. What do you have lined up in that department? 🍀🍀🍀

I went nuts awhile back and pretty much covered the spectrum. I’ve got a large box of enough inks to last, well … a long time.
However you did get me interested by mentioning green document ink. What do you have lined up in that department? 🍀🍀🍀
I am pretty well settled on DeAtramentis inks, so my plan was samples of both Document Green and Dark Green, but then I read that all of their Document inks are mixable. So I will just go with a 45ml bottle of Green, and if I find it too bright, I'll just mix in various amounts of Archive Ink until I find my desired shade.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I am pretty well settled on DeAtramentis inks, so my plan was samples of both Document Green and Dark Green, but then I read that all of their Document inks are mixable. So I will just go with a 45ml bottle of Green, and if I find it too bright, I'll just mix in various amounts of Archive Ink until I find my desired shade.
Interested in your review of the document green
Are you at all concerned about using permanent inks - for the pen I mean?

Interested in your review of the document green
Are you at all concerned about using permanent inks - for the pen I mean?
I'll be sure to post a review. Might be a little while yet, they are scheduled in my "next purchase".

To be honest, no, I'm not that concerned relative to the pen(s). I write a good bit, so the ink won't sit for long, and my primary concern is the permanence and long-term integrity of what I write.

I'll be sure to post a review. Might be a little while yet, they are scheduled in my "next purchase".

To be honest, no, I'm not that concerned relative to the pen(s). I write a good bit, so the ink won't sit for long, and my primary concern is the permanence and long-term integrity of what I write.
Another permanent ink to maybe look at is the Rohrer & Klingner sketchINKs. They have a couple of green inks KLARA and EMMA. Have you ever tried any of theirs? I have not tried their sketchINK, but I do like their iron-galls (Salix and Scabiosa, in fact I have scabiosa inked up right now) and Alt-Goldgrun is one of my favorite inks across the board. Great shading! Not sure if any of them are mixable though.
-Boris

Another permanent ink to maybe look at is the Rohrer & Klingner sketchINKs. They have a couple of green inks KLARA and EMMA. Have you ever tried any of theirs? I have not tried their sketchINK, but I do like their iron-galls (Salix and Scabiosa, in fact I have scabiosa inked up right now) and Alt-Goldgrun is one of my favorite inks across the board. Great shading! Not sure if any of them are mixable though.
-Boris
Thanks for the tips, Boris, I'll check them out!

Lately I've been looking for a waterproof ink that's dark but not blue or black, I think I've got it narrowed down to either Noodler's El Lawrence or De Atramentis green grey archival. I'm also looking for an orangish red. Monteverde Giraffe is probably what I'll get.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Lately I've been looking for a waterproof ink that's dark but not blue or black, I think I've got it narrowed down to either Noodler's El Lawrence or De Atramentis green grey archival.

I highly recommend you at least look at Noodler's Kung Te Cheng. Hard to describe the colour ... sort of a blue-y-purple-y look. IMHO a very well performing ink that is 100% waterproof.

Some "waterproof" ink is going to bleed a fair bit when soaked wet (but still remain legible.) Others, like KTC, will not budge at all.

1680294392936.png

Lately I've been looking for a waterproof ink that's dark but not blue or black, I think I've got it narrowed down to either Noodler's El Lawrence or De Atramentis green grey archival. I'm also looking for an orangish red. Monteverde Giraffe is probably what I'll get.
I mentioned it earlier in this thread. Another line of inks to look at is all the Rohrer & Klingner sketchINKs. They are all waterproof as well and they have a fair number of colors. Maybe something will suit there.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I got an assortment of Diamine inks recently, in which I found a few new favourites. I now feel comfortably settled in most areas of the colour spectrum, and it's allowed me to clear out several inks that I wasn't enamoured with.

I did get a lighter blue (Misty Blue) and turquoise (Eau de Nil), which I need to spend more time with, in a few different pens, to know if I have found "my" inks or not. As for the darker blues, purple, brown, green and red, it's feeling very much like mission accomplished.

I have said that I have had enough inks to last a few life times and that is true. However, I recently have pulled my wife with me into the rabbit hole. she bought herself some pens and now she wants some ink so I humbly obliged. Of course I had to add a few bottles for myself in the order as well. Just received the order yesterday. This is what we ended up with.
Diamine Delamere Green
Diamine Prussian Blue
Diamine Saddle Brown
Diamine Sargasso Sea
Diamine Amazing Amethyst
Diamine Marine
Diamine Twilight
Rohrer & Klingner Sepia
Rohrer & Klingner Königsblau
Also got some Blue and Blue/Black Cartridges for my Lamy (for travel use)
Lastly got a 1.5mm Italic nib for my Lamy. I can't wait to try it out. I like my stubs/italic nibs. Can't use them at work though. Too crappy paper. Bleeds through like crazy.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Last ink I bought was with a pen purchase from Seitz-Kreuznach, the chestnut brown from their Colors of Nature line.
They recommended it to go with a Pelikan M200 brown marbled, they added it with no extra shipping to the purchase.
Goes nicely with the pen and flows well, unfortunately I read they have sadly permanently closed since. Oh, the pain.

I have said that I have had enough inks to last a few life times and that is true. However, I recently have pulled my wife with me into the rabbit hole. she bought herself some pens and now she wants some ink so I humbly obliged. Of course I had to add a few bottles for myself in the order as well. Just received the order yesterday. This is what we ended up with.
Diamine Delamere Green
Diamine Prussian Blue
Diamine Saddle Brown
Diamine Sargasso Sea
Diamine Amazing Amethyst
Diamine Marine
Diamine Twilight
Rohrer & Klingner Sepia
Rohrer & Klingner Königsblau
Also got some Blue and Blue/Black Cartridges for my Lamy (for travel use)
Lastly got a 1.5mm Italic nib for my Lamy. I can't wait to try it out. I like my stubs/italic nibs. Can't use them at work though. Too crappy paper. Bleeds through like crazy.

Diamine and Roher & Klingner are really hard to beat considering quality and price. I do have some more expensive inks (Iroshizuku), but Diamine is really up there for a fraction of the cost. Same with Clairefontaine paper

Top Bottom