What's new

Confessions of a Wet-Shaver Noob

The Rambling, Disjointed Musings of a Rookie on a Learning Curve

Rather than chronicling daily shaves stroke-by-stroke for the past three weeks, I thought I would put together some of my insights into this re-discovered world of traditional shaving. Most of what I have to say will not be news to veteran shavers on this forum, but perhaps some fellow newbies will learn from my mistakes, say "aha! so I am not the only one!" when they recognize something, and have a chuckle or two along the winding stream of my consciousness. Or, in some instances, my semi-consciousness.

How This All Got Started

As I said in my introductory post about three weeks ago, I grew disenchanted with multiple-bladed, latest-trend shaving over the past several months. I have also recognized a growing appreciation for vintage objects and traditional practices as I approach *:glare::001_rolle:laugh:* middle age. Through my fountain pen fascination and The Fountain Pen Network forum, I was led to this site. I was delighted to discover that my mom, bless her never-throw-anything-away-if-it-might-have-some-usefulness-and-or-sentimental-value-to-somebody heart, had kept several safety razors in a box at her house. Among those were a gold Gillette Tech ball-end and a SuperSpeed twist-to-open, both in good shape. A quick stop at the CVS pharmacy on the corner followed, and a new badger brush, a new pack of cheap blades and a new puck of Williams soap were purchased, and I hurried home for my first double-edged safety razor shave in three decades.

My First Shave

... was amazing! I had forgotten how closely one can shave with a safety razor and one blade. Irritation was at a minimum, smoothness was at a premium. I did have two weepers, thanks to my over-enthusiastic whacking at my chubby cheeks, but nothing serious at all. And that minor problem was more than compensated by the closeness and the smoothness of the rest of my face!

I was hooked.

My First Purchases

Being something of an acquisitor and unable to resist the lure of ebay, on the very next day I purchased a Parker 22R Safety Razor and some Shark blades. The vintage razors looked great on my bathroom counter, but I wanted a heavier, longer handle on a razor, since I have bear-paws for hands.

I had also discovered the Ogallala Bay Rum Company. Those old-fashioned glass bottles and Old West labels appealed to my John Wayne aesthetic, so, since I am something of an acquisitor and unable to resist the lure of on-line shopping, another purchase ensued. A few days later, a big box arrived with all kinds of goodies and extras from Nebraska, and once again I was a kid under the Christmas tree. I am ecstatic about the Bay Rum and Sandalwood soap, after-shave lotion and cologne from the Ogallala Bay Rum Company. And, as I expected, the old-timey blue glass bottles look great!

Some First Results and Observations

1. I discovered that cheap CVS blades are good for two shaves at most for me.

2. Shark blades are fantastic!

3. It is really fun to plan which of my three razors to use with which of my two soaps or my one shave cream (Kiss My Face Key Lime, which does NOT appeal to my John Wayne aesthetic, and was thus decanted into a Mason jar!) for my next shave on the morrow.

4. Different razors have different shaving characteristics. My Parker is much more aggressive than my vintage Gillettes, but I was immediately able to sense that against my skin, and thus far, no nicks or cuts with a sharp-edged Shark.

5. Shaving against the grain of my beard is OK! When I tried shaving against the grain with a Mach 3, or whatever that other, five-bladed monster is called, the result was painful irritation under my neck and (double :blush:) chin. I think that feeling must be what flat tires feel like after running over those shark-tooth barriers you see on some entrance ramps on highways and in some parking lots: punctured, scraped, defeated, deflated and dying painfully.

But with one good DE blade, there is no second or third (or fifth) blade to catch and drag while shaving against the grain. Therefore, an even closer and more comfortable shave is possible!

6. KMF Key Lime cream and Williams soap make a GREAT uber-lather!

7. KMF Key Lime cream and OBR Sandalwood soap make a DOUBLE-GREAT uber-lather!

8. Lathering up with a warmed brush and warmed lather is a luxury not to be missed each day.

Some More Recent Purchases

In addition to being something of an acquisitor and unable to resist the lure of online shopping, I am also very susceptible to visual stimulation and suggestion. Thus, the Shave of the Day forum on this site was a cornucopia of temptations, delights and irresistible urges.

I came down with a bad case of Straight Razor Fever.

After all, John Wayne didn't conquer the West with a Gillette FatBoy in his saddle bags, did he?

So late one night, in a fit of insomnia-induced shopping, I purchased a vintage Howe 5/8 straight (shave-ready, with new micarta scales) on ebay. That was quickly followed by a vintage Tennis , a NOS Wade & Butcher, a vintage Wade & Butcher and a vintage Hartford "Knight of Honor," both of which came in their original boxes. Frankly, the vintage W&B probably is past its last shave, but it is still a cool old razor!

BUT .... unable to resist the lure of trying out my vintage, shave-ready Howe, I lathered up for

My First Straight Razor Shave

Following a hot shower, I lathered up with my uber-lather mixture and took out the Howe. I experimented one last time with grips and how to hold the blade, and then ....

I chickened out and shaved with a safety razor. :blushing:

But, I was manfully ashamed of myself and lathered up again. I took out the Howe once more and carefully drew it down under my right sideburn for just a few light strokes.

IT WAS AMAZING!

Even though I had just shaved, the straight was still cutting whiskers. This was incredible to me, so I continued, very, very carefully, to shave with the straight razor. I discovered that a proper blade angle is imperative to success, and is sometimes difficult to achieve, especially under my (double :blushing:) chin. A light touch produces better results than dragging the blade heavily down my cheeks. And most satisfying to me, at least, I can hear the hollow-ground blade "sing" as it slices through my whiskers! I took a long time to carefully shave, but the result was a phenomenal, baby-bottom-smooth shave!

However, I don't intend to rush headlong into daily straight-razor shaving just yet. In the first place, I need a few items that have been suggested as essential here in B&B, such as a hone and a strop (and since I am something of an acquisitor and unable to resist the lure of online shopping, and since I am also very susceptible to visual stimulation and suggestion, and since I have discovered the Buy-Sell-Trade forum here on B&B, I don't think acquiring those things will be a problem!). And, I need to read up on straight razor shaving and razor care, as well.

But I was quite pleased, to say the least, with my first straight razor experience! :thumbup1:

Some Further Observations

9. My girlfriend loves my face even more than she used to! :thumbup: Admittedly, I have never understood why she loved my face in the first place, but she loves it even more, now that it is smooth and glowing each day!

10. I am rarely tempted to skip shaving in the morning. In fact, it is something I anticipate with eagerness.

11. Shaving while enjoying classical music on the CD player is a quite satisfying experience, as suggested in the Shave of the Day forum. I enjoy all kinds of classical music when I shave now, such as Bach, Beethoven, Brooks and Dunn, George Strait and Willie Nelson. However, Ravel's Bolero can be somewhat distracting, especially if you saw "10" back in the day.

12. An excellent shave will lead to improved overall grooming and appearance decisions. One would not want to appear immaculately shaved but poorly manicured and sloppily dressed, now, would one?:blink:

Latest Acquisitions and Future Purchase Plans

Unable, or at least at this point unwilling, to rein in my online shopping (and since I am something of an acquisitor and unable to resist the lure of online shopping, and since I am also very susceptible to visual stimulation and suggestion, and especially since I have found the BST forum here at B&B), I was fortunate to come across two lots of items advertised as newbie starter sets (thanks, oblio! :thumbup1:). A new, thicker black badger brush, my first scuttle, and various blades, soaps, creams and after-shave samples are on the way to my house! Also, as stated above, I will be looking for a good strop and hone (although I have a good carborundum hone here that I inherited from my uncle's estate; I may have to do some further research and practice with it).

And, I would like to find a good deal on a 1961 Gillette FatBoy, since I am a 1961 Texas fat boy.

So There You Have It.

Dear Reader, if you have read these ramblings thus far, I must say to you that you need something better to do with your time! :001_rolle And, I will say that my experience, as is the shaving experience of every person on this forum, I would imagine, is personal, and may not reflect your actual results.

Please, don't take my word for it. Try it and judge for yourself. (Usual disclaimer: "your mileage may vary.")

But thanks for letting me ramble! I will be looking forward to learning more about the uniquely personal and ultimately gentlemanly art of shaving!

What a fun read. Yes, it duplicates my experiences in many ways but not in others. I actually started back wet shaving after a 35+ year lay off with a straight razor. I shaved with one for about 2 weeks before I decided to try DE. The sight of all that blood concerned me since it was my own, and I just couldn't get comfortable with a straight no matter what I tried.
Like you, I look forward to my morning shave and wonder how I ever survived before without 7 shaving brushes, 9 DE razors, over 400 DE blades, 20+ shaving soaps and 1/2 dozen tubes of shaving cream. Never mind the different holders and shelves that have been added to my shave den and the bottles of AS beginning to collect in the linen closet.
Did anyone get the number of that truck that hit my wallet?

Top Bottom