What's new

It’s Been a While

I’m more a lurker but since I’ve started using a straight razor I think I’ve really gotten pretty well settled in and read a lot of stuff here.

Wow, my collection of razors has grown lol. I have two beat up blades I found on eBay and was able to restore to great shaving blades. My TI that I love but don’t use much. A Dovo Bismarck that’s spectacular and a Whacker Jungmeister that I had been having problems with. A couple strops too.

But the Whacker is not smooth. The edge wasn’t very refined even though it was supposed to be “shave ready” I tried to hone it but wasn’t sure what was wrong so I quickly set it aside before it touched a stone. Just last week I decided to take a look and finally figured out that the bevel was set using tape. I guess because the spine is decorated nicely. So I taped the spine and set out on a couticle. And then finished it on a 12k Naniwa. Wow. My new favorite for sure. It took very few strokes on either to bring it up. I mean it will cut your eyes just looking at it. I love the larger blade too. The heft. So I went and ordered a Ralf Aust 7/8 Spanish tip and I just cannot wait to try it.

Anyways, what a journey! Though I usually wet shave it’s twice a week or maybe three, I use a straight razor. The hobby is really satisfying. And since uncle Sam says I have to be clean shaven, my morning routine most days is a safety razor but when I have the time, I break out one of the above and take my time.

Plus my wife loves the smooth shave that only a good straight blade can give.

I’m more a lurker but since I’ve started using a straight razor I think I’ve really gotten pretty well settled in and read a lot of stuff here.

Wow, my collection of razors has grown lol. I have two beat up blades I found on eBay and was able to restore to great shaving blades. My TI that I love but don’t use much. A Dovo Bismarck that’s spectacular and a Whacker Jungmeister that I had been having problems with. A couple strops too.

But the Whacker is not smooth. The edge wasn’t very refined even though it was supposed to be “shave ready” I tried to hone it but wasn’t sure what was wrong so I quickly set it aside before it touched a stone. Just last week I decided to take a look and finally figured out that the bevel was set using tape. I guess because the spine is decorated nicely. So I taped the spine and set out on a couticle. And then finished it on a 12k Naniwa. Wow. My new favorite for sure. It took very few strokes on either to bring it up. I mean it will cut your eyes just looking at it. I love the larger blade too. The heft. So I went and ordered a Ralf Aust 7/8 Spanish tip and I just cannot wait to try it.

Anyways, what a journey! Though I usually wet shave it’s twice a week or maybe three, I use a straight razor. The hobby is really satisfying. And since uncle Sam says I have to be clean shaven, my morning routine most days is a safety razor but when I have the time, I break out one of the above and take my time.

Plus my wife loves the smooth shave that only a good straight blade can give.

welcome aboard and thanks for your service.

camo

Top Bottom