What's new

It's a little late...but who is making a Fruit Cake!

Like I said...time is running short to get one done by Christmas, but if you get going on it this weekend...you will have it in just the nick of time to enjoy with kith and kin.

I plan on getting what I need tomorrow and Saturday doing the baking. I have seen a couple of recipes that I like...but I am interested to see who has their special...maybe even grandma's secret recipe.

So who is making one? And show us the recipe you are using!

My wife has a good recipe and we had a small cake last week. There is still a large bowl of fruit macerating so puddings and cake should be ready well in time for Christmas. If I can persuade her to part with the recipe, I will come back and share it.

My wife has a good recipe and we had a small cake last week. There is still a large bowl of fruit macerating so puddings and cake should be ready well in time for Christmas. If I can persuade her to part with the recipe, I will come back and share it.
Excellent David!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Don:
The Mrs. and I haven't made any in years, but we do like ours 'soaked' in brandy!
proxy.php

Fruit Cake.jpg
"You can't be sad when you're holding a slice of fruit cake"! Author Unknown

I think we still have a fruit cake from a decade ago. Might be a family heirloom :lol1:
Seriously, I love fruit cake and have to find another location for it since I'm usually the only one that eats it.

+1 on sharing some brandy with the fruit cake. All of the fruit cakes I've known have been utter lushes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Fruitcake.

Well, I'll ask 'im, but I don't think 'e'll be very keen-- 'e's already got one, you see?

Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Fruitcake.

Well, I'll ask 'im, but I don't think 'e'll be very keen-- 'e's already got one, you see?
:a14:

Well, I have officially started the process. I went ahead and got berries, raisins, apricots, and figs. Chopped some of them up and left the rest whole. Mixed in Orange and Lemon zest as well as some crystallized ginger. Had some dark rum that really isn't fit for human consumption...in a drink that is...but is perfect for fruit cake...and poured some in.

The only question I have is...do I let them macerate for 24...48...or 72 hours.

Rehydrating Fruit.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve only seen these in stores. No one in our family ever made one, or bought and brought to dinner. One of these days I’d like to try one. I’ll probably like it.

We started a bit late for a good sloshing in rum... However, we have 7 Claxton 1 pounders who will be starting their long decent into alcoholism very shortly indeed! 2018 Holidays should be well past the point where the raw bite of the demon will have mellowed. (In the meantime the 'dry' version is very nice too!)

I’ve only seen these in stores. No one in our family ever made one, or bought and brought to dinner. One of these days I’d like to try one. I’ll probably like it.
Just don't eat one of those store bought ones...I mean I like it...but then again you are talking to a guy that will eat anything...and I mean anything...for breakfast as long as there is an egg on it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not too late yet. I like them. My wife will destroy them . . . picking out the nuts. When I was a kid there used to be brightly coloured dried fruit in Red and Green. I don't see this these days.

My family is making fruit cake! It's tradition for us; my mom always enlists the help of Dad/one of us sons to help her stir that thick batter with a giant wooden spoon. My grandpas both absolutely love her fruit cakes so we make at least three each year--one for each grandpa and one to serve at Christmas dinner.

Not too late yet. I like them. My wife will destroy them . . . picking out the nuts. When I was a kid there used to be brightly coloured dried fruit in Red and Green. I don't see this these days.
Good ol' dyed and candied citron peel! We still use that, the kind that comes in a big tub.
proxy.php

Good ol' dyed and candied citron peel! We still use that, the kind that comes in a big tub.
proxy.php

My mother makes a fruit cake still...though I think she kind of cheats. I believe she uses a mix and certainly doesn't cure. But she still uses the candies fruit also.

Okay...for all you fruitcake aficionados out there...how do you store your fruitcake and how do you keep it from molding. I think ideally I need a cool dry place to store mine and in air tight containers. My big problem is that I live in Louisiana and our temps here fluctuate...a lot! As well as it is definitely not dry here. We are one if the most humip state in the US. I didn't know if room temp is good enough. I also don't think I am supposed to refrigerate. Anyway...tips of your trade are much appreciated!

Made my fruitcakes a couple of days ago. Keeping one to eat immediately, one was frozen as is. And the other was spritzed with Brandy and then sealed. I'll post pics later but the fruitcake as is was delicious.

Top Bottom