What's new

Issues finding soaps.

I've been quite sad lately because i've given up on finding good soaps and creams at good prices.

-G F Trumper costs 55$ w/bowl at a local store, 35$ w/o bowl
-Same for Dr. Harris
-Same for Truefitt and Hill
-Tabac on Ebay is 45$ shipped and that's for the refill only (57$ w/bowl).

The only good one locally that's affordable is the proraso lineup.
If I was making 5billion$/year, then buying these expensive items would be less of an issue, just a bit less.

I would be glad to have a local source anywhere near me, but those prices are high. Have you not checked Fendrihan or Rasage Poulin for come Canadian online goodness?

I would be glad to have a local source anywhere near me, but those prices are high. Have you not checked Fendrihan or Rasage Poulin for come Canadian online goodness?

Really, I just took a look at Rassage Poulin and they have Tabac refills for $15

Look at their website;

http://www.rasagepoulin.com/shaving-soap/

Also take a look at the B&B Vendors list to see if anyone else is local to you;

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Supporting_Vendors

I should've checked these websites and vendors before writing this thread.

thanks guys

not be in the arsenal. No doubt the high end products work very well. But personally, I will not pay $50.00 for a BAR OF SOAP. However if you have the resources, flaunt it baby, flaunt it! Let me assure you I get on very well with my Marvy Shave mug, a Simpson Beaufort B2 brush and Arko shave stick. I also like Booster Iced Lime AS and Master Comb Well Bay Rum. All we are talking about here is soap you put on your face to scrape off whiskers. There are very fine products that you don't have to open a vein for. Good luck!:biggrin1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
not be in the arsenal. No doubt the high end products work very well. But personally, I will not pay $50.00 for a BAR OF SOAP. However if you have the resources, flaunt it baby, flaunt it! Let me assure you I get on very well with my Marvy Shave mug, a Simpson Beaufort B2 brush and Arko shave stick. I also like Booster Iced Lime AS and Master Comb Well Bay Rum. All we are talking about here is soap you put on your face to scrape off whiskers. There are very fine products that you don't have to open a vein for. Good luck!:biggrin1:

That's the beauty of YMMV!
There are products to suit every mans taste and budget from the bargain basement to the sky's the limit.

If you like to try new things (and you have the patience to wait for a deal:001_smile), keep your eye on the Shopping and Deals page. Just last month, Crabtree & Evelyn had a $10 online coupon that, when used to purchase one of their 100g refill pucks, brought the shipped total to $5.50.

http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/sundries.php

These folks sell Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap refills for L 4.20 (British pounds) and the ceramic mug with the shaving soap for L 14.25, plus shipping.

I just re-ordered from them. Service was good and you really cannot beat MWF as a shaving soap; take a look at the reviews. This is not the fancy smelling stuff, but it is the real quality stuff and it is nowhere near as expensive as what the OP quoted.

i'm also from Canada (Ottawa) and i was pleased to find 2 shaving soaps at my walmart, there is a wilkinson sword for about $3.50 at 125g and a williams shave soap for about $1.60 at 50g, i think the scent of the williams is sandlewood.. i'm new to wetshaving and i could be wrong about the scent

i'm also from Canada (Ottawa) and i was pleased to find 2 shaving soaps at my walmart, there is a wilkinson sword for about $3.50 at 125g and a williams shave soap for about $1.60 at 50g, i think the scent of the williams is sandlewood.. i'm new to wetshaving and i could be wrong about the scent

I hate to break it to you, but williams is not sandal wood scented.
I have both williams and wilkinson and they really are cheap quality soaps: hard to make and maintian lather, and not enough glide. They both have that "clean" smell.

Williams is certainly not a prestige soap, but given the proper technique, the right brush and, I suspect, soft enough water, it will yield a satisfying lather that will provide great shaves. As an added bonus, once you learn to master Williams, everything else is a snap to use in comparison! :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like you yearn for for the champagne experience on a beer budget, and brother, I know that feeling.

Some reasonably priced, high performance stuff...

1. Arko!
  2. Cella
  3. Tabac
  4. Palmolive stick
  5. Vintage Williams (really!)

These will all perform like champs. If you want the sublime scents that come with the three T's or AoS, then the only way to save a buck is to watch the sales (Shopping and Deals forum) or haunt the BST.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of folks find men difficult to shop for when it comes to birthdays, Christmas, etc. Let it be known that you would dearly love a puck of AoS Sandalwood and they are likely to breathe a sigh of relief.

I agree that there are many good shave soaps in all price ranges. Keep your eye on the BST where there are often nice prices on soaps and creams.

I know that some vendors offer discounts for B&B members and I think that Barclay Crocker offers nice first time B&B discount. Bullgoose shaving and West Coast shaving offer good values as well.

Happy shaving,

Doug

I agree soaps are overpriced.

But, they sure last a long time. Especially a triple milled puck. An AOS puck lasted me 7 months of daily use.

Barclay Crocker has trumpers in the wood bowl for $28.50. She also offers a nice B&B first time discount.

Doug

I must agree that I was looking for champagne at beer prices! :blush:
Thanks for listing some vendors, folks.

I guess i will treat myself every now and then since good price + expensive shipping = bad price.

Yet even if it seems costly, soaps like tabac most probably last a long time.
So its not a bad deal really.

cheers folks

I used a Van Der Hagen drugstore brush and VDH deluxe soap. Many fine shaves. It's important to give nearly as much weight to technique as well as to the materials used. It's a learning process, go with it.

Just wanted to put a plug in for SRD soaps as well as Mama Bears soaps. I am fairly new to the traditional shaving world, and I have not actually tried Trumpers, Harris, TOBS, etc, but with these I have never felt the need to. Both of them make glycerine based soaps, but my skin is as sensitive as a teenage girl's temperament, and they work wonderfully for me! I'm over in Maine, so I don;t know what shipping would be for you.

SRD soaps are around 9-20 USD (20 is really high end)
Mama Bear is usually around 9-15 USD, and I believe she is having a sale right now.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had meant to mention it earlier, but you should also look into Gentlemens Best "Signature Series" Shaving Soap.
Simply amazing stuff.

Top Bottom