What's new

Is wearing black with brown now fashionably acceptable?

Personally I dislike black suits, and most black clothing in general. Nothing darker than charcoal grey for me, thanks. I only own one pair of black shoes, and one black belt, which are only worn on formal occasions.

IMO, depends on how formal the outfit is. Suits...no.

On the other hand, I'm wearing black chelsea boots with tan khakis and a brown/black/white/blue plaid shirt...:whistling:

If it is a black suit, and you are trying to pull it off with brown shoes or a brown belt, or a brown watch for that matter, then no. No, no! NO! If it is something less formal, like jeans, or even a lighter colored suit, then I suppose it is acceptable. By formal, I mean business meeting, job interview, a big presentation. Black suit, black shoes, NO BROWN.

Is wearing black with brown now fashionably acceptable?

It always has been, as far as I know.

Is wearing black pants with brown shoes now fashionably acceptable?

Never.

Pick which pants you're going to wear, and then choose socks and shoes which match the pants.

I never liked black suits; wore dark blue. grey and/or brown. Black shoes with dark blue and dark grey. Dark brown shoes with some blues, most greys and, of course, brown. Never black shoes with brown clothes. And only real brown, darker not tan.

I have read that a deep burgandy or "cordavan" shoe was acceptable with Black or Brown trousers. What say the forum?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have read that a deep burgandy or "cordavan" shoe was acceptable with Black or Brown trousers. What say the forum?

I'd say fine with brown pants. For me, if my pants are black, so are my shoes.

Top Bottom