What's new

Is this set up right for me?

Some background: grew up in a smoking household. Dad has smoked all my life, mom quit when i was 12. I smoked from age ~14-24 and am 28 now. Still have a pipe and 2 hookah's that i go to on occasion and enjoy the occasional cigar. I like to wind down after work with a drink and smoke but hate cleaning up the hookah and don't like having smoke smell on me at work since i work in a pharmacy.

This is where i stumble across vaping.. I am a pharmacy manager at a high volume store and have a decent bit of stress which used to be my go to for smoking, having been clean for 4 years this thanksgiving I don't want to start back up. I have been looking at picking up a little mod kit to keep my cravings satisfied. After a few days of internet research I have found that some of the best advice has been that not everyone has the same needs so I would like some opinions on a starter kit.

What I know: I am technically inclined and love to tinker, but since this is mostly an after work thing I am fine using off the shelf equipment (for now) and don't need to start out with some DIY level stuff. I am fine buying heads and liquid and using a unit as-is.

I have looked at enough reviews in the last week to make my head spin but keep coming back to one setup..

Kangertech K-box
Kanger subtank plus

Looking for advice from someone who may have similar usage needs to mine or who has experience with these or other similar products. Ask any questions i have not covered if it helps guide me for my first purchase.

Thanks,
~Moe

*edit. looking to keep this reasonably priced, under $100 including some starter juice.*

Last edited:
Do you want something that chucks clouds or more like a cigarette. Regardless the kit you stated above is not the one I'd recommend.

I dont need huge clouds, but will not turn down the ability to do some smoke tricks.

Any particular reason for advising against that setup? (still educating myself on all this stuff)

I dont need huge clouds, but will not turn down the ability to do some smoke tricks.

Any particular reason for advising against that setup? (still educating myself on all this stuff)

The original Kbox is incredibly outdated at this point, and you can get much better setups for a similar price. Also you need a battery charger as there is no internal charging.
Subtank Plus is alright, just incredibly big for what it does.

Right one more question, do you want a removable battery or an in-built one?

I am fine with buying batteries and a charger, will not include this in my budget if i do go that route.

As far as my choice in tank, i would be fine with a smaller one but do like the easy ability to switch the ohm (including subohm) of the head by screwing in a different one and it seemed to have decent reviews from a couple places.

I'd go for a mini nautilus honestly but if you are focused on getting a Kanger Subtank get the Mini V2. I would personally stick it on the new Coolfire 4 with temp control

Thanks! Mini Nautilus looks a little smaller than i was thinking but the subtank mini does look like a better size than the ultra. The coolfire 4 looks exactly up my alley though. I will have to sleep on it and keep looking but come Friday I may end up ordering the coolfire 4 and subtank mini if I havent found anything that looks better to suit me by then.

Thanks for the input and I do welcome any other input as well!

Thanks! Mini Nautilus looks a little smaller than i was thinking but the subtank mini does look like a better size than the ultra. The coolfire 4 looks exactly up my alley though. I will have to sleep on it and keep looking but come Friday I may end up ordering the coolfire 4 and subtank mini if I havent found anything that looks better to suit me by then.

Thanks for the input and I do welcome any other input as well!

If you go for a Coolfire go for the Coolfire IV Plus 70w :thumbup1:

I'd go for a mini nautilus honestly but if you are focused on getting a Kanger Subtank get the Mini V2. I would personally stick it on the new Coolfire 4 with temp control

I have a Nautilus mini and really like it, however is anyone making a rebuildable coil for it?

I have a Nautilus mini and really like it, however is anyone making a rebuildable coil for it?
Not that I have seen, however for someone starting out I wouldn't go rebuildable right away anyways. That being said the Subtank Mini and Plus both have a rebuildable deck that you can use if you don't want to buy a coil.

Any thoughts on the isub tank? looks easy to use and little cleanup. also comes included with the coolfire 4 plus..

Any thoughts on the isub tank? looks easy to use and little cleanup. also comes included with the coolfire 4 plus..
Its so, so, good cheap tank but Subtank is better. I think you might like the Sense Herakles Hydra as well. Nice bit of vapour, and above 1ohm resistance.

I have a Subtank mini on a VTC mini that I really like and it only cost me $70 with a box of coils. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate to go the route of Subtank on TC mod. I'm not very experienced yet, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom