What's new

Is this common when boared?

I've recently come to really like boar brushes, they produce a thicker, creamier latherer for me. I've been using them about 90% of my shaves and have acquired five since September with one more on the way.

I am now considering selling off my collection of badger brushes. I used to be a diehard badger man.

Has any one else done this? Does this happen with boardom?

I assume my Muhle silvertip fiber works much like a silvertip. :001_tongu

I definitely prefer my boars - I like the facial massage and the backbone. Semogue SOC for me with a B&B Essentials as backup.

It's weird because I thought that I would want the softest brush available. I have found that I prefer a nice massage with soft tips (boar).

I ended up selling off my Rooneys and other 2 band finest about a year after I bought my first Semogue. After the long wait for my 620 to break in, there was no looking back. I picked up a couple more (1250, SOC, and Barbear Classico Cerda) and they give me everything my badger brushes did, but with more backbone. Maybe one day I'll pick up another badger brush, but right now I'm content with boar.

I ended up selling off my Rooneys and other 2 band finest about a year after I bought my first Semogue. After the long wait for my 620 to break in, there was no looking back. I picked up a couple more (1250, SOC, and Barbear Classico Cerda) and they give me everything my badger brushes did, but with more backbone. Maybe one day I'll pick up another badger brush, but right now I'm content with boar.

A Thater and a Shavemac D01 are two of the five badgers I'm planning to sell. A Semogue 620 is one of my five boars. A 610 is the one I'm waiting on.

Last edited:
My Semogue 620 had already bloomed well after soaking it before the first use. The tips were splitting after the second use. I can't imagine how soft it will be in a few weeks.

I experience the same thing...boars definitely build a lather that is denser and much more like thick yoghurt where badger lather is still creamy but definitely "lighter" than boar lather.

This could be due to the difference in mechanisms of how the two hold water. Boar hair absorbes water where badger hair holds it (kind of like a magnet). The "progressive release" of water from a boar is what I feel leads to the thicker, richer lather compared to badger.

Whether this is the mechanism, I don't know as it's just my hypothesis but the reason I think it might be true is because when I don't soak the boar, it steals water from the lather I am building and the lather is quite dry and not as creamy. In any case, there is no doubt the lather is creamier and more "lotion-like" versus badger.

I currently have just one badger which I will never, ever let go of!! (It's a TGN finest knot but the older darker tip one, not the newer gel tips type). My boars are Semogue SOC cherry and the new Barbear Classico Cerda (#90/100)...which is one dense knot with tons of backbone. It'll take a while for this one to break in!!

Top Bottom