What's new

Is this a Personna red/red IP?

As far as I know, both names in the title are for the same blade right? Is the picture below, one? I didn't like the personna lab, didn't like the med preps and was liking lots of the gillettes, especially the sharper ones but I got two of these guys in the blade exchange so I tried one for 4 days in a row and although they don't seem quite as sharp for whatever reason, they seemed to shave closer for longer and very smoothly. I guess that's why we say "YMMV" as our faces, hair, growth, etc are all different but I was a bit surprised to like them so much. I want to order a 100 of them but I want to make sure they are the right ones but I read a review on the westcoastshaving website that is making me nervous/confused on where to get them. Also, how do these generally compare to the medpreps/labs for others (just curious)?

Here are the pics I took of the one I used:

$IMG_00001808_zps85ce7911.jpg
$IMG_00001809_zpsd822c8f9.jpg

And the westcoast info page, info and then review comment:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Personna-Israeli-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-Blades_p_19.html

Description
New 2013 stock!

Red Personna Israeli double edge razor blades that fit all standard double edge razors. They are a stainless steel blade with a "Platinum Chrome" coating for smooth shaving.

20 packs of 5 blades each (100 blades total).
Clarification on origin and labeling: The labeling states "Product produced, assembled and packaged with blades made by American Safety Razor Company - Since 1875. Staunton VA 24482, USA." The packaging is made and assembled in Mexico. Additionally, it states "Imported and distributed Personna International de Mexico." The blades are made in Israel, imported to Mexico where they do the final packaging.

Customer Reviews

proxy.php
Not what I expected.

I originally purchased a 10 pack of Personna Platinum (Red Pack Personnas)from bullgooseshaving. I loved them. They cut very smooth and close with no irritation. I thought I would try these since they were supposed to be the same thing, only in the original red packaging. These are nothing like the ones from bullgoose. These were very painful to shave with. The first blade cut me up pretty badly and irritated my skin a lot. I thought maybe it was a dud, so I tried others. The next 2 that I tried (from a different pack) were not quite as bad, but not as good as expected. I would get one "tolerable" shave and then the second shave would nick me to death and irritate my skin. I also noticed that one the last two blades I used that they did not cut the same on each side. One side would nick and irritate more than the other. I'll go back to the personnas at bullgoose. I have no idea why they are different, but they most definately are.

Reviewed by: Joshua Collins from Marion, NC. on 10/2/2013

That is a personna red. There are two different personna reds, one is Israeli and the other mexico. WCS told me that they are the exact same blade with the only difference being where they are packaged, so I chose the less expensive version that came in a clear wrap as opposed to the red paper wrap. I've tried both and they feel the same to me. To me these are a nice smooth blade that aren't quite as sharp as the Labs or Meds. I haven't experienced the type of issues the reviewer has. You need to take reviews like this with a grain of salt. I've tried bad blades where they pull like hell. Most blades I can get a good shave from without any issues. Nicks and cuts are due to bad technique or poor prep as opposed to a bad blade. So my read is the review is from an inexperienced shaver with bad technique or bad prep blaming it on the blade. I like them a lot and use them frequently. I'd purchase them with confidence.

So if they have the same packaging then they are the same ones I tried? There isn't two different versions with the same red packaging?

Personna Platinum Chrome blades manufactured in Israel have been packaged in many different packages over the years. Three or four years ago, if you purchased Red Packaged, Israeli Personna blades from any of the major online shaving vendors you received a 5-blade tuck with a red wrapper and a plain white inner wrapper. These blades were manufactured in Israel and packaged in Mexico.

Three months ago, I purchased 100 Red Pack, Israeli blades sold as Personna Platinum Chrome blades from West Coast shaving. They now came in a 10-blade tuck with blades wrapped in a single red wrapper without a liner.

At the same time I purchased a few tucks of Personna Platinum Chrome blades which West Coast identified as being packaged in UK packaging. These blades were also packaged 10 blades to a tuck and came packaged in a plastic container with a blue insert. Inside the blades were wrapped in plain white wrappers.

Side-by-side, the UK blades, also manufactured in Israel, look and shave exactly like the red pack Israeli that came in the same carton and my older Personna Red Packs. IMO, they are all the same blade and shave exactly the same. If these blades were all unwrapped and placed on a table, there would be no way to tell one from another.

These, along with Voskhods, are my favorite blades. I agree that they are not as sharp as the Med Preps or Labs, but they are sharp enough and very smooth (a quality that I value).

I bought a 100-pack of these exact blades and I am very happy with them. These are Israeli-made and packaged in Mexico.

I'm not sure I've got my answer, so all these different variations ARE the same blade no matter what packaging?

The ones I got in the blade exchange where in a red wrapper, no white inside wrapper and I only got two so i don't know what the blades actually came in. but based on that, where would i go to order those?

I kind of want to order the exact same ones just to be sure, who sells the ones with the red wrapper and no inner white wrapper.

Last edited:
Redraco's answer above cleared it up. They've changed the packaging and you will get blades wrapped in clear paper. If you want the red paper you will have to find someone with old stock. If you choose either of the Personna Reds from WCS you will get the exact same blade. I'd choose the cheaper option as we all have tried both and they are the same. WCS told me they are the same as well.

I'm not sure I've got my answer, so all these different variations ARE the same blade no matter what packaging?

The ones I got in the blade exchange where in a red wrapper, no white inside wrapper and I only got two so i don't know what the blades actually came in. but based on that, where would i go to order those?

I kind of want to order the exact same ones just to be sure, who sells the ones with the red wrapper and no inner white wrapper.

IMO they are all the same blades, just wrapped in different packages. Some of this has to do with marketing the blade in different parts of the world. Indeed if you lived in the UK, you could buy "Viking" blades or "Tesco" (British version of CVS or Walgreens) brand blades that are the same blade.

As to the blade packaged in the red wrapper and no liner. I believe that West Coast has these as their current offering. Razor, Blades and More offers these as "New Red Pack Personna Double Edge Blades 2013". You could email other vendors and see if they have what you're looking for.

And to be clearer - someone said there are Reds from Israel and Reds from Mexico. Yes, but the ones "from Mexico" are only packaged in Mexico, not made there. They are made in Israel.

I don't know why personna doesn't just stay consistant with their packaging.

To clarify you can buy these for $12.00 for 100
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red...r-Blades--UK-Packaging-100-blades_p_1268.html

or these for $19.99 for 100
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Personna-Israeli-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-Blades_p_19.html

A short time ago I emailed WCS when I was looking for the ones in the red paper packaging that I tried in my sampler and WCS told me that they are all the same blade. I bought the ones for $12 and compared them to the ones in the red wrapper that I had left in my blade sampler and agree that they are the same.

Here's a quote from the email response I rec'd from WCS... "As for the Personna, they are the same blades that are packaged in two different locations and we pass along the cost difference to our customers."

Now, I don't know if they will come wrapped in white or red paper, but you can be confident that they are both the same actual blade that you used and liked.

Thanks for the clarification and info everyone. I don't know what it is about these blades, they don't seem all that sharp but for some reason they seem to cut closer and leave my stubble free for a couple extra hours. I also don't seem to miss many hairs.

Thanks for the clarification and info everyone. I don't know what it is about these blades, they don't seem all that sharp but for some reason they seem to cut closer and leave my stubble free for a couple extra hours. I also don't seem to miss many hairs.

I've noticed this also. The way I figure it is that there's a spectrum of sharpness and a spectrum of smoothness. Add to that the variable characteristics of particular razors...

For me a Personna Platinum Chrome blade, in all it's iterations, in a Cadet Open Comb is as good as it gets.

While not the sharpest, PPC are one of the smoothest blades out there. Cheap & good for 4 great shaves. Super in a DE89.

Personna Platinum Chrome blades manufactured in Israel have been packaged in many different packages over the years. Three or four years ago, if you purchased Red Packaged, Israeli Personna blades from any of the major online shaving vendors you received a 5-blade tuck with a red wrapper and a plain white inner wrapper. These blades were manufactured in Israel and packaged in Mexico.

Three months ago, I purchased 100 Red Pack, Israeli blades sold as Personna Platinum Chrome blades from West Coast shaving. They now came in a 10-blade tuck with blades wrapped in a single red wrapper without a liner.

At the same time I purchased a few tucks of Personna Platinum Chrome blades which West Coast identified as being packaged in UK packaging. These blades were also packaged 10 blades to a tuck and came packaged in a plastic container with a blue insert. Inside the blades were wrapped in plain white wrappers.

Side-by-side, the UK blades, also manufactured in Israel, look and shave exactly like the red pack Israeli that came in the same carton and my older Personna Red Packs. IMO, they are all the same blade and shave exactly the same. If these blades were all unwrapped and placed on a table, there would be no way to tell one from another.

These, along with Voskhods, are my favorite blades. I agree that they are not as sharp as the Med Preps or Labs, but they are sharp enough and very smooth (a quality that I value).

Good review and well-stated.

Been using Red Packs for years....my only blade as I don't like to experiment with blades...Derbys chew me up and Feathers? Not a chance. Used swedes for awhile but now they're like finding the holy grail

Top Bottom