What's new

Dorco Prime Japanese Stainless Steel (uncoated) Red Box. Anyone tried these?

Anyone tried these made in Vietnam Dorco Prime Japanese Stainless Steel (red box) blades? Lots if of things to like- made with new equipment, Japanese Steel, uncoated (!). Could these be the best factory 1/2 DE blades? The 301 Prime Platinums are very well regarded.

Anyone tried these made in Vietnam Dorco Prime Japanese Stainless Steel (red box) blades? Lots if of things to like- made with new equipment, Japanese Steel, uncoated (!). Could these be the best factory 1/2 DE blades? The 301 Prime Platinums are very well regarded.

They are made in Vietnam, most likely the same as the 301 Prime Platinum blades, just cut in half for use in shavettes, etc.

BTW, every stainless steel DE or SE blade I know of has at least a PTFE (Teflon) coating for smoothness. When the packaging does not call out a coating, this does not mean they are actually uncoated.

They are made in Vietnam, most likely the same as the 301 Prime Platinum blades, just cut in half for use in shavettes, etc.

BTW, every stainless steel DE or SE blade I know of has at least a PTFE (Teflon) coating for smoothness. When the packaging does not call out a coating, this does not mean they are actually uncoated.
Thanks for the comment. Maybe uncoated means no platinum, but here is the blurb from the listing:

The Dorco Prime red shaving blades, born from Dorco’s vast production experience, exclusively use uncoated Japanese steel to achieve such a sharpness that they can perform without difficulty, both perfect shaves and precision finishes thanks to the special Sharp&Round technology that allows the blade to be both sharp and rounded at the same time.

Thanks for the comment. Maybe uncoated means no platinum, but here is the blurb from the listing:

The Dorco Prime red shaving blades, born from Dorco’s vast production experience, exclusively use uncoated Japanese steel to achieve such a sharpness that they can perform without difficulty, both perfect shaves and precision finishes thanks to the special Sharp&Round technology that allows the blade to be both sharp and rounded at the same time.

I saw that, but I think it's just marketing. Hard to know what they actually mean. 💩

I just added a post to our Dorco thread (link below, See post #81) that walks through what we know about these. There are two versions, red and blue box and these are likely split versions of the well regarded Dorco Stainless ST300/301 blades.

I just added a post to our Dorco thread (link below, See post #81) that walks through what we know about these. There are two versions, red and blue box and these are likely split versions of the well regarded Dorco Stainless ST300/301 blades.

The Japanese steel is the attraction for me. It is pretty good on new equipment.

The Japanese steel is the attraction for me. It is pretty good on new equipment.
Dorco DE (and now SE) blades were historically underrated because of years earlier subpar production from their older Korean plant. Once they moved production to a brand new plant in Vietnam they became some of the best blades out there as well as being one of the best values. If I hadn't stocked up on Derby Extra and Astra SP blades earlier Dorcos would be my only blade.

I tried a Dorco Prime in my Leaf this moOhhhrning, for a head shave. Extremely smooth and very efficient. Very nice blades.
Ohhhh. That is very nice. Have you tried the single Permasharps or Deby Ustas as well? I think they may be the best options in single edge, I am curious how the Dorco Prime Reds compare. Japanese steel is great on new equipment.

Ohhhh. That is very nice. Have you tried the single Permasharps or Deby Ustas as well? I think they may be the best options in single edge, I am curious how the Dorco Prime Reds compare. Japanese steel is great on new equipment.
No, I just snap a blade in half if I want a single edge. The single edge packs of blades cost more per blade than a double edge does. Forex, on Amazon Canada, 100 Perma-Sharp DE blades cost $17. That's 200 single edges. By contrast 100 Perma-Sharp single blades cost $14. Much cheaper to buy DEs and snap 'em. I doubt the single edge blades are made differently.

No, I just snap a blade in half if I want a single edge. The single edge packs of blades cost more per blade than a double edge does. Forex, on Amazon Canada, 100 Perma-Sharp DE blades cost $17. That's 200 single edges. By contrast 100 Perma-Sharp single blades cost $14. Much cheaper to buy DEs and snap 'em. I doubt the single edge blades are made differently.
Thank you for clarifying. The bent tabs can be an issue with some razors (and some require them), but these are razor dependent. Often it doesn’t matter.

Top Bottom