What's new

Is there REALLY that much difference in blades?

"I tell you those Crystals were like shaving with an angel's wing and I was BBS until midnight the following Tuesday...but those Derbys are simply ghaaastly little beasties, like Norwegian swamp rats gnawing at each individual hair. And don't even get me started on the Feathers...*ecstatic shudder*...why it's like being touched by the Messiah himself and each hair retracts back into it's follicle in holy deference (both bow heads slightly)...compare that to Satan's Own Marmalade Knife, the infernal Astra! (friend raises hand to mouth in horror)...I'd rather be tied down with a strop and force-fed Williams shave pucks than have one of those hellish items so much as brush my damask cheek...."
Thanks for that; I needed a laugh this evening!:lol:

There are certainly differences in blade quality and people can tell the difference between them, especially the low quality blades. However, I'm able to get a decent shave from most blades on the market as many of them are produced to an acceptable standard. In my experience, most of the middle tier blades are quite close in quality and their difference are sometimes exaggerated. In the end, if everything else if fine (e.g. technique, lather, etc...) then you should have a decent shave experience unless the blade is quite bad.

Try a Merkur then try a Feather. There is a very noticable diffence between the two. However I think these two represent opposite ends of the spectrum and most everything else falls in between.

DL

+1
There are differences between blades. Best example out there.

JB

I would say that of all of the components of a shave that you can buy (ie, take out technique and prep), blades have the single largest impact on the quality of the shave.

Words of wisdom indeed!

I would say it's also the one item where YMMV is most blatantly true.

I would say it's also the one item where YMMV is most blatantly true.

The most amazing thing is that there is so much attention for razors, soaps/creams and brushes but for the actual tool doing the job we get all these 'is there any real difference' threads.

Yes there is and yes it is the blade making the real difference.

After you've got the basics right that is.........

The most amazing thing is that there is so much attention for razors, soaps/creams and brushes but for the actual tool doing the job we get all these 'is there any real difference' threads.
I'd agree, the blade does seem to make most of the difference. I'd say after that, the razor makes the most difference, followed by shaving cream.

There is a noticeable difference between the way a Krona Shaves when compared to a Gillette #58--but it is not nearly as much a difference as I notice when I compare a Feather to a Derby.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Yes, it does make a HUGE difference.
Also, it depends on which blade is shave well and is more comfortable to your face.
It is a balancing act.
Regards,

There are certainly differences in blade quality and people can tell the difference between them, especially the low quality blades. However, I'm able to get a decent shave from most blades on the market as many of them are produced to an acceptable standard. In my experience, most of the middle tier blades are quite close in quality and their difference are sometimes exaggerated. In the end, if everything else if fine (e.g. technique, lather, etc...) then you should have a decent shave experience unless the blade is quite bad.

I agree, totally!

Of course some blades are sharper than others, but the real test is blade smoothness followed by how many times you can use them. The worst blades are the ones that are not consistent in the same package. The first Persona blade I tried was fantastic, each blade was progressively worse to the point that I threw the rest of the package of ten away before I was done. Smoothness, durability, and consistency are the real measure of a blade not just sharpness.

Definitely, there are very discernible differences between blades.

For me, it's been night and day when shaving with a Merkur or a Derby vs shaving with KAI or an Iridium (I have some Feathers but haven't used them yet). The KAI and Iridium blades have given me very smooth and close shaves.

Last edited:
I wish I could achieve consistent results with any blade! I have often thought that there can't be much difference in the performance of all these makes. My lited experince tells me there us although I haven't noticed differing blade performance when paired with different razors and I rotate several at every blade change.

I wish I could achieve consistent results with any blade! I have often thought that there can't be much difference in the performance of all these makes. My lited experince tells me there us although I haven't noticed differing blade performance when paired with different razors and I rotate several at every blade change.

You might try and stick to one type of blade in one razor for a longer time till you got the hang of it. When you start rotating too much too soon you'll never know whether it is the gear or your technique causing the trouble.

enter two shavegeeks deep in conversation as they stroll down Jermyn St.:

"I tell you those Crystals were like shaving with an angel's wing and I was BBS until midnight the following Tuesday...but those Derbys are simply ghaaastly little beasties, like Norwegian swamp rats gnawing at each individual hair. And don't even get me started on the Feathers...*ecstatic shudder*...why it's like being touched by the Messiah himself and each hair retracts back into it's follicle in holy deference (both bow heads slightly)...compare that to Satan's Own Marmalade Knife, the infernal Astra! (friend raises hand to mouth in horror)...I'd rather be tied down with a strop and force-fed Williams shave pucks than have one of those hellish items so much as brush my damask cheek...."

This is hilarious!!

Top Bottom