What's new

Is there REALLY that much difference in blades?

OK, I found one that I don't like. It says 7AM on the package.
Is this a knock off of a Gillette 7o'clock?
Anyway, for anyone wanting to say "I told you so"
It's open season on the Wolf!

There are so many variables...your face/beard being one of them. It may be your beard is easily shaved by a variety of them.

I found that a couple of blade work wayyyyy better than others.

As for myself I mostly shave with a straight. When I am feeling lazy, I use my DE. I have a tough beard, but luckily its not sensitive. I cant seem to find blades locally, with the exception of walmart, walgreens, and those types of store brand blades. I'm probably going to be one of the rare person who spits out blasphemy when I say this: The blades I got from the dollar store work fine.

I think there is a huge difference in blades. There are so many factors also. Beard type skin type Razor type soap/cream used pre shave prep.

Simple answer is Yes, there is a noticable difference between just about every blade on the market.
Above applies for me atleast.

Have a look at squires blade reviews over at shavemyface.com He has put a lot under a microscope and many look different. Different angles on the blade and number of hones. When you see that, you can understand the the blades are different and it's easy to not like some, but like others.

I would say that of all of the components of a shave that you can buy (ie, take out technique and prep), blades have the single largest impact on the quality of the shave. Second would be the razor, or perhaps you can group the razor/blade combo as one. Third for me would be the cream/soap. Fourth would be the AS. Fifth would be the use of a scuttle. Dead last would be the brush. Funny - the least expensive component has the biggest impact, and the most expensive has the least.

Of course, YMMV......

OK, I found one that I don't like. It says 7AM on the package.
Is this a knock off of a Gillette 7o'clock?
Anyway, for anyone wanting to say "I told you so"
It's open season on the Wolf!

Oh man, the 7AMs are the worst I've ever tried by a long shot. They were so dull and my beard so thick that it was just pure pain as the blade tugged and yanked out the hair. I've never gotten so much resistance before, it's like the blade wouldn't even move. I threw it out after one shave and I never do that because I like to give it a few days before passing judgement.

To answer the question, yes some blades are better than others, but it's usually relatively small differences...except for 7AM and Feathers in my experience, which were a bit more drastic. I use Astra Platinums daily. They give flawless, close shaves for me. I had it down between these and 7 o'clock yellows.

Last edited:
I suspect that the main differences between blades are the grind angle and the steel makeup. They're all probably pretty close to equally well-honed (how hard can it be, if you have a big, relatively modernautomated factory?)

This is assuming reasonable quality control, that is. That might be a big factor in some brands, but I doubt it's all that big of an issue for the larger Western brands like Gillette or Wilkinson Sword.

The subjective differences in "sharpness" are likely due to a combination of grind angle and razor aggressiveness- in my experience, the shallower grinds (feather, for example) do better in less aggressive razors like my Gillette superspeeds.

Steeper grinds, like say... German Wilkinson Sword blades don't do well in the superspeeds, but are terrific in my Gillette Fat Boy set on 5. I actually tested this- I used the same blade in the superspeed, and it sucked, then switched it into the Fat Boy and it was great the next day.

This is why the general wisdom is to find the combination of razor and blade that works best for you- what you're actually doing is finding the razor blade with the proper grind angle for your particular razor.

There's also the platinum edge treatment, if any, which can affect longevity, and PTFE coating, which helps smoothness.

Part of the fun of this hobby is the ability to experiment with different combinations of razors and blades in order to find the best setup for one's own face and beard.

With a plastic razor, you're stuck with razor and blade all molded in one piece, with no adjustment capability, and can only hope for the best, at an outrageous price.

Yes. In a slant the feather and iridium shave effortlessly. Requires less passes for a close shave.

Other blades take more effort requiring more passes and shorter shelf life. Lower priced blades are also more apt to cause some type of blade irritation.

Have a look at squires blade reviews over at shavemyface.com He has put a lot under a microscope and many look different. Different angles on the blade and number of hones. When you see that, you can understand the the blades are different and it's easy to not like some, but like others.
He has written some excellent reviews. :thumbup1:

yes, there is a big difference for me; performance also varies by razor. however, now that i have been using double edge blades for just about a year, i find that i can get a bbs from almost every type of blade that i have tried, except for red IPs and one really cheap carbon blade (not treet) i tried, which was pretty rough.

As a relative newbie I'll attempt to offer some perspective. I operate a home theater/hi-fi forum and consider it my main hobby. Many people in that hobby would claim that ALL else being equal there is a significant audible difference between two different kinds of speaker wire. I suspect there are many here who would scoff at such a thing.

So while I won't claim that there is no difference between blades, enthusiasts in all hobbies do tend to exaggerate minor differences and tend to take extreme positions in my experience.

As for myself I mostly shave with a straight. When I am feeling lazy, I use my DE. I have a tough beard, but luckily its not sensitive. I cant seem to find blades locally, with the exception of walmart, walgreens, and those types of store brand blades. I'm probably going to be one of the rare person who spits out blasphemy when I say this: The blades I got from the dollar store work fine.

Walgreens sells Personnas under their own label, and charges twice as much as Wal-mart who also sells Personna. Check the manufacturer of the dollar store blades. They're likely something you've heard of under a generic label.

Yes, there is a lot of difference between blades, even from the same manufacturer.

At least to my face there is a difference between a shark stainless and a shark chrome.

Top Bottom