What's new

Is there REALLY that much difference in blades?

My beard is probably not as tough as some, I can get away with shaving every other day if I want, so maybe I'm not the best judge of blades.
So far, I've used a KAI and a BIC in a Gillette SS, a Derby Stainless in a Gillette Tech, and a Gem Personna stainless in a Gem Featherweight.

They have all given me pretty good shaves.
Is there really that much difference in the blades?

depends on handle type/blade combo and yer hands

try a stainless steel gem in yer gem handle..I enjoy them alot and I have sensetive and coarse skin type

Try a Merkur then try a Feather. There is a very noticable diffence between the two. However I think these two represent opposite ends of the spectrum and most everything else falls in between. As fas as the two DE razors that you mentioned, those blades will feel very similiar in those razors.

DL

Is there really that much difference in the blades?

Yes sir there is, though maybe more for some. DE shaving is by far the best way for me to get rid of my whiskers but there are only a handfull (maybe two) of the 50+ blades I tried that give me and a close shave and a happy skin.
As always YMMV but it is not just that blades vary a lot, there is also that one man's heaven can be another man's hell.

It might be different when your skin is as tough as leather and your stubble soft as down but if not blades can be truly horrible.

Try a Merkur then try a Feather. There is a very noticable diffence between the two. However I think these two represent opposite ends of the spectrum and most everything else falls in between. As fas as the two DE razors that you mentioned, those blades will feel very similiar in those razors.

DL

+ 1.

I love my Merkur 39 C slant, but only with a fresh Feather in it. That combination gives me THE closest shave.

IMO, yes! Some of the cheaper blades are like shaving with broken glass and I would avoid them like the plague.

+1 One mans meat is anothers gravy etc. Feathers are great imho but lousy first shave great second shave and trashed on the third shave so not economical to use. Others have 10+ shaves from them. :001_rolle

If you can use any blade and get good, comfortable shaves then GOOD FOR YOU. There was a post recently where someone said when you try a new blade and say WOW, that was a great shave, well that is the blade for you.

Wise advice on here so far!

You mentioned you had tried a BIC blade.

Good. Certainly not the worst around by a long shot. I use them often!!

I agree with others that Merkur and a lot of "unknown" brands can be horrid. Zorrick come immediately to mind....

PS

Although Merkur blades are generally below par, the Dovo Shavettes are really good. Same basic brand (Dovo is Merkur's parent) but the blades may come from a different plant. The Shavette blades are manufactured for Dovo disposable straights, but can be used in DE razors with no problem, and they just seem to be streets ahead of the Merkur ones.

For someone with a light beard i don't think the difference would be as noticeable.
Someone with a heavy thick beard that needs slicing power would probably notice the difference more.

I think there is quite a difference between blades, even though I can effectively use quite a few blades in many different razors.

For example, the Lord Super Stainless, when used with the exact same setup as other blades consistently gives me more weepers. This is not a technique issue, as I can use other blades, and have a totally nick free shave. :tongue_sm

As long as you're using the same razor, yes. Treet carbon steel blades work for me, Derbys do not. I can use Iridiums, Polsilvers, and 7o'clock yellows, but they're sharper than I care to use on a daily basis. Shark Super Stainless blades for me are better than other Lord brands, and are the longest lasting blade I've tried. Dorco ST-301 blades work for me, but not for everyone. They are definitely a better blade than the ST-300.

And so on, and so forth.

Now, if you try the same blade in different razors, you may notice a difference too.

As always with blades, YMMV.

I'm going to go against the crowd here a bit and say that while there are certainly differences, they aren't as massive as some people make them out to be. I too have gotten great shaves from a huge variety of blades and only come across one or two that I really didn't care for. As with most hobbies when the geekery reaches a certain threshold the passion and hyperbole often run wild. :001_rolle

enter two shavegeeks deep in conversation as they stroll down Jermyn St.:

"I tell you those Crystals were like shaving with an angel's wing and I was BBS until midnight the following Tuesday...but those Derbys are simply ghaaastly little beasties, like Norwegian swamp rats gnawing at each individual hair. And don't even get me started on the Feathers...*ecstatic shudder*...why it's like being touched by the Messiah himself and each hair retracts back into it's follicle in holy deference (both bow heads slightly)...compare that to Satan's Own Marmalade Knife, the infernal Astra! (friend raises hand to mouth in horror)...I'd rather be tied down with a strop and force-fed Williams shave pucks than have one of those hellish items so much as brush my damask cheek...."

Thanks, Gents. There's always some good information here at B&B!
I have a few more blades to try , then I'll get some test packs of some others
and keep looking until I find something that seems to stand out from all the rest!

Top Bottom