What's new

Is there really such a thing?

Hi,

Yes. Just One razor and Just One blade.

The blade I decided on long ago when no other blades were available. One either used Personna Med Prep or Lab Blue blades from a surgical supply shop or gave up on DE razors all together. The late 1980s.

The razor took a lot longer. Had to wait for eBay to show up, and then my showing up on B&B and then trying all sorts of razors.

The Fasan Red Dot DoubleSlant.

Bought the all plastic one first. Then, changed the handle:

That was back in the 3rd quarter of 2013.

Then I found where they made one with a metal top cap:

And, again, I changed the handle. This time I loaded a small amount of lead shot into the hollow handle to balance the weight of the metal top cap:

And this has been my daily driver ever since. The first one is a spare. They can take some time to locate these days.

What makes this work better than anything else I tried (dozens) is the helix it sports.

Stan

I guess for me I could say it’s more of a unicorn era and brand. It would be a 1946 Gillette contract tech (with a postwar head), 1947-50 NDC Gillette tech and a 1948-50 Gillette aristocrat TTO. For me these three are absolute perfection
I just recently got into collecting aristocrats. Do you find your 48-50 to be somewhat aggressive? I didn't expect the one I got to be as aggressive as it was. Still a good shave. Probably better that I didn't get the 46-47.

I just recently got into collecting aristocrats. Do you find your 48-50 to be somewhat aggressive? I didn't expect the one I got to be as aggressive as it was. Still a good shave. Probably better that I didn't get the 46-47.
I personally don’t think the 1948-50 aristocrat is all that aggressive. I do think that I get better shaves with than I do with the techs. From my understanding the only difference between a 1946-47 and a 1948-50 aristocrat is the center bar. On the 1946-47 version the center bar is unnotched and on the 1948-50 it is notched

I personally don’t think the 1948-50 aristocrat is all that aggressive. I do think that I get better shaves with than I do with the techs. From my understanding the only difference between a 1946-47 and a 1948-50 aristocrat is the center bar. On the 1946-47 version the center bar is unnotched and on the 1948-50 it is notched
Thanks for clearing that up!
Not sure why I thought the 46-47 was the more aggressive of the two.
I'm working on trying to get British Aristocrats now, but that is tricky/expensive.
I can say though that I'm simply loving the British Rocket HD500!

When I lived abroad, it's by force, but I was fine with my Gillette Slim Adjustable, Astra SPs and Arko. That's all I used for probably around 7-8 years. I lived abroad for 9 years, but I had some other soaps I used for a year or so, then only Arko, mixed with a little bit of Williams someone gave me the last year lol.

I'm close. The Parker 78r does everything I want in a shaving device and does it well, comfortably and gives me a great shave everytime. I really could be happy with just this one.
The Parker 78r is one of my favorite razors. I treated like a vintage razor and collected 3 copies. Just a great shave. I too think I could be happy with that one.

Never, and I would be horrified if I ever did!

To me the beauty of it all is to pick up one of my old DE vintage friends depending on my mood and what era I am mentally inhabiting that day, one of my small collection of popular creams/soaps, and get shaving!

Great fun.
Totally agree. To me, it's fun to wake up in the morning and figure out which razor/blade/soap/cream/brush I want to use that day. It's mildly amusing and pleasing to me and, hey, we can all use some amusement and pleasure anymore. 😂

I have 3 razors , had 4 and pif to someone in my church. Going to give a 48-50 gillette aristocrat to another friend to try out and keep if he likes it. That will leave me with a Lupo.72 and a GC .74 oc with a .68 plate. Don't see anymore razors in my future. Been de shaving about 18 months.

I've come to the conclusion that the one razor, is the one that I'm shaving with that day.
Very True, funny thou for so many years/decades now I may utilize two razors when I shave. Say I have a few days growth. I will do one pass with one of my slants. Following with a non-slant for the second pass and minor touch up if needed. Why, why not ..I have the tools, why be limited and it adds to the fun. My dad (retired for so many years now) was an incredible craftsman. He had many tools and would carefully selected the right tools for job/application. Even changing when required. Quality, efficiency, ease of use, and thought / smart thinking. That was mapped to me. So all I am saying is sometimes try thinking outside the box. Your Shave, Your Fun, Your Tools..... Cheers BFX

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Right now I am deciding which "one more" I should buy next. Vector SS Polished is on my list, postponed due to price and shipping and customs on top of that.
AliExpress and that means Yaqi and DSCosmetic has a sale, too.

If I don't buy a razor, I will either get a flashlight or a Hoka Stinson 7. 🙈

Top Bottom