What's new

Is there really such a thing?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It appears, at this time, I have thinned down my herd to a top 9... with a tenth being my Claymore Evolution I use around my nose every shave. I only have one razor on my radar at the moment... though I'm waiting until it's been out in the shaving world for 6 month or so to get a feel for it and if it really would fit into my select group.

Shane is too humble to say it. I’ll say it for him: the Titanium Blackbird belongs in Mordor.
View attachment 1686274

View attachment 1686276
The Blackbird Ti is a special, elite razor more than worthy of its elevated status but the titanium Wolfman WR2 1.15 takes a backseat to no one; effortlessly devouring all other razors that came into my den to challenge its supremacy. The WR2 1.15 satin titanium’s comfortable, smooth with just the right touch of efficiency and no frills maintenance cured my RAD…I proudly and honorably stand with @BigJ in the minority on this site having found the one, desert island razor that when I shave I feel ultimate pleasure.

Now that bubblegum Wald on the other hand is causing major feelings of BAD that are getting more difficult to suppress 😍

IMG_7336.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
After I settled on straight razor shaving I basically lost interest in pursuing DE razors. Part of that equation was discovering the Super Speed, which for my preferences provided a most excellent shave. For the record, I enjoy the differences in straights and that in itself keeps me trying out various grinds and styles.

After I settled on straight razor shaving I basically lost interest in pursuing DE razors. Part of that equation was discovering the Super Speed, which for my preferences provided a most excellent shave. For the record, I enjoy the differences in straights and that in itself keeps me trying out various grinds and styles.
Curious which Super Speed?
40s non date code?
Red/Blue Flare tips?
Etc etc lol

After well over 16 years in Wetshaving of Razor Acquisition Disorder and going down MANY rabbit holes over and over and over and spending so much money - I am wondering if anyone here has found their "One to Rule Them All", the Holy Grail Magical Unicorn that will make you forget all other razors and only use it for the rest of your days?

I HAVE NOT.

From almost every vintage Gillette and Schick that has ever existed, to every thing new and in between.
From slants to adjustables to single edge GEMS to modern pivot razors like the Oneblade and Leaf.
Zillions of combinations of blades, creams, soaps, and even brush-less shave creams.

A couple of times I even dared to use a shavette. Never again!!!

What is it that makes me think there will always be something better than the best I have found out there?
Therefore I MUST try them all :)
I'm sure my wife is thankful that I'm not this way with girls LOL.

What I have found is some VERY GOOD RAZORS.
Enough to have more than a Top Ten.
But that ONE is still out there...
Like you, over the past 20 years I have used a large number of razors from vintage to the present offerings, went through the love and then the hate process by using them and experimenting with different blades and soaps etc. However, about 6 years ago I decided to purchase the Muhle R41, at first i thought i made another mistake but i quickly found the error of my way of shaving thinking it was just another safety razor, but after 2 weeks of trial and error it has become my only razor and now i own all of the 4 models Muhle manufactures. If you combine this razor with the right blade and the right soap with the right technique it simply gives you the best shave one can hope for. So yes, i have forgotten all of the other razors and have exclusivity used the R41 for the past 5 years. For me it's the ultimate razor :001_smile

Like you, over the past 20 years I have used a large number of razors from vintage to the present offerings, went through the love and then the hate process by using them and experimenting with different blades and soaps etc. However, about 6 years ago I decided to purchase the Muhle R41, at first i thought i made another mistake but i quickly found the error of my way of shaving thinking it was just another safety razor, but after 2 weeks of trial and error it has become my only razor and now i own all of the 4 models Muhle manufactures. If you combine this razor with the right blade and the right soap with the right technique it simply gives you the best shave one can hope for. So yes, i have forgotten all of the other razors and have exclusivity used the R41 for the past 5 years. For me it's the ultimate razor :001_smile
I bought the R41 ONLY because it was considered the world's most aggressive razor and I wanted a curiosity shave with an ambulance on standby lol.
Didn't even nick myself with it.
Might have to pull it back out tomorrow.

I could happily use a Timeless .68 oc for the rest of my shaving days. There may be a better razor (for me) out there, but the Timeless is so close to perfect that I don't spend much time considering other razors. The law of diminishing returns certainly applies in this case.

The interesting part of finding the best razor is that one person's best razor may not work at all for someone else. It's very much an individual search.

I'm gearing up to purchase a Blackbird and I am just praying to the shaving gods that it will cure my RAD for at least a week or two!

Truly though, I've learned that I'm a sucker for blade feel so that thins the options a bit but man... I don't know if I'll ever find the one.

I'm gearing up to purchase a Blackbird and I am just praying to the shaving gods that it will cure my RAD for at least a week or two!

Truly though, I've learned that I'm a sucker for blade feel so that thins the options a bit but man... I don't know if I'll ever find the one.
The Blackbird cured me since last Fall, nearly a year. And it presently rules the roost. But recently have been window shopping…so I feel a RAD relapse coming on!

Top Bottom