What's new

Is there really such a thing?

After well over 16 years in Wetshaving of Razor Acquisition Disorder and going down MANY rabbit holes over and over and over and spending so much money - I am wondering if anyone here has found their "One to Rule Them All", the Holy Grail Magical Unicorn that will make you forget all other razors and only use it for the rest of your days?

I HAVE NOT.

From almost every vintage Gillette and Schick that has ever existed, to every thing new and in between.
From slants to adjustables to single edge GEMS to modern pivot razors like the Oneblade and Leaf.
Zillions of combinations of blades, creams, soaps, and even brush-less shave creams.

A couple of times I even dared to use a shavette. Never again!!!

What is it that makes me think there will always be something better than the best I have found out there?
Therefore I MUST try them all :)
I'm sure my wife is thankful that I'm not this way with girls LOL.

What I have found is some VERY GOOD RAZORS.
Enough to have more than a Top Ten.
But that ONE is still out there...

Attachments

• Minimalist Aesthetic Moodboard Photo Collage .png
    Minimalist Aesthetic Moodboard Photo Collage .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
After well over 16 years in Wetshaving of Razor Acquisition Disorder and going down MANY rabbit holes over and over and over and spending so much money - I am wondering if anyone here has found their "One to Rule Them All", the Holy Grail Magical Unicorn that will make you forget all other razors and only use it for the rest of your days?
Never, and I would be horrified if I ever did!

To me the beauty of it all is to pick up one of my old DE vintage friends depending on my mood and what era I am mentally inhabiting that day, one of my small collection of popular creams/soaps, and get shaving!

Great fun.

Nope.

I seem to get worse as time goes on.

I would probably get better shaves if I could just stick with the same gear and not swap out some variable every couple of shaves, but variety is the spice of life and I enjoy comparing the different shaving experiences that a rotation of razors provides. What a nerd! :biggrin1:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I realised that no one quality razor is significantly better than any other. There are some I much prefer, for reasons often unrelated to shaving performance, but I can get a good shave with pretty much any razor. I have no interest in aquiring more razors, my most recent purchase was a 1944 British Army issue, I bought it purely because I wanted to use it on Remembrance Day. I did not expect it to shave significantly better or worse than any other and it did not disappoint. So, what I found that cured my desire to buy more razors was not a razor at all; maybe it was realisation or maybe I just got bored. That said, I love the razors, brushes, soaps, and aftershaves that I own and I am very lucky to have them.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used just one razor for my first 5+ months of "wet shaving", as I've mentioned many times. I don't have the experience most of you have.. it's just over a year and a half since I started this journey.

As soon as I started branching out into DE razors, it didn't take me long to realize, based on the reading here and my own limited experience, it would be foolhardy for me to look for "the One"... I started trying to assemble a top 5... .then I found some really good razors for me and that has expanded, again, to a Top 10. That looks to be where I'll end up... Ten razors that will all work for me, yet are unique enough so I can tell the difference and they'll provide enough variety for me.

We'll see in a year or two if is where I end up... or if I keep experimenting. I have enough blade choices to try each of them for extended periods to see if I can learn their differences in those razors. So far, the blade choice hasn't seemed to matter, with the exception of the Kai blades that are a bit wider. I can tell a slight difference there, depending on the razor. I didn't choose those blades on my own. I've admitted several times, I just copied the blade preferences of the seasoned veteran/master shavers here.

When it comes to modern razors, the heads are pretty much the same per brand. Take for example Merkur. They offer many different models but basically it’s all the same open or closed comb put on a different handle. I think you should focus more on brands than models.

I wouldn’t call it “the one” but I’m a fan of the basic Merkur 1904 closed comb model.

I have several razors that I could use as my only razor and be quite happy. I like a little variety so I’ll probably never have “just one”.

Having said that, my Ti Blackbird is the closest to “the one” in my den. I have several others that perform almost as well, but I have never found a razor that encompasses the entire shaving experience any better than the Bird.

Top Bottom