What's new

Is there really such a thing?

When it comes to modern razors, the heads are pretty much the same per brand. Take for example Merkur. They offer many different models but basically it’s all the same open or closed comb put on a different handle. I think you should focus more on brands than models.

I wouldn’t call it “the one” but I’m a fan of the basic Merkur 1904 closed comb model.
Merkur Progress and Futur are very different from the standard Merkur open comb and solid bar models. Also the Futur and the Progress differ very much if compared to each other in both design and shaving properties.

I'm starting to think the other way. As long as there is good blade rigidity (shame on you Twig with your unsupported corners), I am finding I can get great shaves with all my razor. Even plastic ones and various carts. There are some differences, but I guess that is the fun of it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I quickly grew tired of buying new razors, only for them to fail to match up to the shaves from my Edwin Jagger DE3D14. Although it wasn't so much the razor, necessarily, as my familiarity with it.

Then in February this year I was gifted a Game Changer 68. After a month of using it, it still wasn't as good as the Jagger, but this time I decided to stick at it. After 14.1/2 weeks of using it, I finally started getting shaves that were as good as the Jagger.

As good. Not better.

However, I also knew that having spent over three months calibrating to a new razor, it would now take me ages to fully calibrate back to the Jagger again. That's a heck of a long time to be going without the calibre of shave that I most enjoy. As such, I have kept using the Game Changer.

So for me, "The One" is whichever I am most competent with in that moment. I currently have three that "could" be that razor if I dedicated myself to it. The Jagger, the Game Changer and a Merkur open comb. I can one get my finest shaves with one at a time though, and have no desire to spend another few months switching It, to merely get back to exactly the same calibre shave as I was getting before.

I'm close. The Parker 78r does everything I want in a shaving device and does it well, comfortably and gives me a great shave everytime. I really could be happy with just this one.
The Parker 78r is one of my favorite razors. I treated like a vintage razor and collected 3 copies. Just a great shave. I too think I could be happy with that one.
I want to thank poppi and Asland408! I have now tried the Parker 78r ,which seems to give a reliably pleasurable shave. The balance, feel of this razor is sublime at a cost of $26!

I could have and likely should have stopped at the Overlander. But of course I didn’t.

Fortunately my RAD has mostly died off. I’ve only picked up one razor in the last 8 months. We’ll see if it lasts.

I could have and likely should have stopped at the Overlander. But of course I didn’t.

Fortunately my RAD has mostly died off. I’ve only picked up one razor in the last 8 months. We’ll see if it lasts.
Every so often I get a good setup with blade, razor, and use them only for months at a time.
And then I get back on the forums or watch one of my favorite YouTubers with a new product.
RAD begins again lol

For Razors ... haven't arrived there yet.
Soap and brush though .... I have been on Italian croaps, and a smaller natural bristle boar, for a very long time, and don't think this will change any time soon (e.g. Cella and Vitos, Omega 10066 and such like). There's a load of higher end badgers sitting on the shelf and wondering what is going on ...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've used straight razors exclusively for the past five years but found what was my very favorite DE ever, a Gillette New LC in excellent condition, on eBay a couple of weeks ago and got it. It is as good as I remember and will remain my only DE. It shaves beautifully.

It’s a hobby for me…..turned a daily bore chore into a world of fun, frolics and occasional bloodshed.
I did the classic “gave up expensive cartridges for cheap DE blades” and promptly spaffed many lifetime’s worth of cartridge money on all kinds of shaving malarkey.
Should have stuck with the cartridges with hindsight but it was done …..I loved the pursuit of a DFS and Pandora’s soap, blades and brush box had been well and truly opened.
Technically you can play golf with just a putter but it’s nice to have options .Same with shaving. Adjustable, slants, vintage, SE, DE, Ti, stainless. Scarface was more restrained than I.
However…….my latest acquisition has made me start to question all of this and it’s actually annoyed me slightly. A ridiculously good run of super shaves has had me reaching for this razor time and time again……the Henson+++!! Modern, efficient, easy, bit boring. I’ve become like a brainwashed zombie. I don’t want just one (non) bloody razor but currently this could be it.
Hopefully I’ll get over it.

Top Bottom