What's new

Is There Any Way to Cheat on Lettering Restoration?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I don't want to totally re-do it with gold leaf, it's just some fading letters at the edges. Some type of paint maybe? I see Brownell's gunsmiths catalog has a new paint type product with actual gold in it. Anyone had any success with anything?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would have thought that actually reapplying gold leave would be easier and cheaper.

Permanent marker maybe?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I re-do lettering on old tools, and I have to say that the paint pens work remarkably well.
Patience and a little practice is essential.
Get the paint flowing on a piece of carboard, write off the excess paint from the tip, and then go lightly and carefully with the tip of the paint pen.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Thank you Boonshaft. I took for granted materials would be more expensive and harder to find. On a restore can you just work in small areas? Does original gold need to come off before applying new foil?

“On a restore can you just work in small areas? Does original gold need to come off before applying new foil?”

Wherever you put the powdered glue the new foil will stick, but you can just re-foil all the lettering easily and glue new foil over existing foil so it will all match perfectly. The foil comes in a host of colors and finishes.

Top Bottom