What's new

Is the Safety Razor Fad Over?

Just my subjective opinion; I don’t think it’s over at all. In fact I think it’s growing due to the blades being much cheaper, the shave experience better and less environmental waste.

I absolutely baulked at seeing a pack of 4 Gillette Labs blades for £20! I could buy 200 Nacet blades for that price!

Jason.

I've pointed out the problem a few times here which is, people today don't converse like we did once upon a time on the younger internet. B&B has become like instagram or other sites where someone posts something and then gets a bunch of likes vs. conversational responses. I post likes too but I'm here to talk about shaving, not post photos or fill out templates. Most of the active topics today are, What this or that did you use today? What blade did you toss? It didn't use to be like that. It isn't that there's no conversation, it's just a tiny part of the post count now here (and elsewhere). Some of the other shaving forums that used to be so popular are dead forums walking. B&B, while still the busiest by far is on that path, I fear, unless the membership engages with each other more.
I enjoy the conversations. This is one of the few places where we can still gather from many walks of life and be civil to each other. I think that is quite commendable. I do avoid the "SOTD" style posts.

I will never forget my boss in the early-mid 70s showing off his new Pulsar digital LED watch. Back then they were very new and very pricey (relatively), and not a lot of people owned them. Not long after, they were ubiquitous, and cheap.

I did the watch thing before I did the razor thing, and ended up with 30 watches at one point, of which 25 were mechanical. I probably sold more than that over the years.

I've paired down my collection to about 15, and only have two quartz (and two EcoDrive) - with dead batteries. I used to change the batteries myself, but it's kind of pointless to change the batteries, put them away, and only to get them out to change the batteries once again. Though I do get out my mechanical watches every couple of months to wind em up and keep the oil moving.

Still, I don't wear a watch daily since I've retired, and I most often grab one of my EcoDrive watches because I know they will be running.
I have had 2 automatic wind watches over the past 8 years, only for them to go to watch heaven. Went back to a battery watch for work, and I have an Eco-Drive for casual weekends, and special occasions. Really like the idea of the Eco-Drive, and how it charges itself! Good looking watches! Never got into the digital watch thing-I like analog style watches. Kids today will never know how to tell time with everything that has digital time on it...

I have had 2 automatic wind watches over the past 8 years, only for them to go to watch heaven. Went back to a battery watch for work, and I have an Eco-Drive for casual weekends, and special occasions. Really like the idea of the Eco-Drive, and how it charges itself! Good looking watches! Never got into the digital watch thing-I like analog style watches. Kids today will never know how to tell time with everything that has digital time on it...

One of my two Eco-Drive watches is also atomic, so it is constantly checking the time broadcast from one of the several national timekeeping stations in the US. It updates the time and date automatically, so I never have to adjust it. The only drawback is that I have be be careful where I store it or it won't always pick up the signal. Still, it is one of my daily drivers.

Sadly, you are right about the youngsters. The only "watch" many know is the digital clock on their cellphone.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Jill Snodden passed away two years ago; she was a member of this forum.

Hey, is that "She Shaves With Jill?" I ask, because I didn't know about the channel for the longest time, then I subscribed to her, and began watching her video's. I quickly realized that she hadn't made video's in years however, which I thought was weird. So I began looking through the comments, and then I discovered, that she ended up being one of the many casualties, due to Covid-19.

She apparantly had a pre-existing condition as well, and with her age being elderly as she was, she just didn't make it. Which I think is really sad, because I really like Jill, she seemed like an outgoing person. Although, she did also seem to like poking verbal jabs at the other big name YouTube wet shavers though like, Paul H Films, Kennsurfs, and Sinatra Lennon. But she apparantly loved those guys, so it was just her way of doing things lol.

I am saddened that I didn't get to know her when she was still with us, I would have loved to have left her comments about how much of an inspiration she was. She proved that woman could make wet shaving video's too. She had a sense of bravery about her, that was really quite admirable. I can only hope that she inspires more woman out there to do the same. Jill also had moments where she was really quite funny, and I appreciate a little bit of humor in a wet shaving video too.

Haven't been on here for awhile. Was never a fad for me, I just have everything I need.
A Parker badger brush in February
100 Voskhod and Parker blades left
I bought the 4 pack of What The Puck shaving soaps and still using the 1st one 8 months later almost kickded, and I shave EVERY DAY
I have the RazoRock .84 GC that's perfect for me.

Other than aftershave balm, I don't need anything for the next 2 years.

Maybe with the beard trend over the past few years, shaving has gotten a little less popular.

Traditional wet shaving is such a niche thing- only two people I know in real life use a safety razor or straight razor - one of them was my granddad when I was little, and another guy was a guy who liked to dress up in dapper 1920's type clothing to go out.

I'm the only guy in my current group of buddies who is probably even aware that safety razors exist!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our youngest son (just had his 42nd birthday in September) got me into wet shaving and he has a beard. He uses his Merkur 38C to trim his upper cheeks and his neck.

So many young men, while sporting a trimmed beard, still shave and lots of them like a tradition DE or SE razor.

It blows my mind how few people it seems actually use traditional DE or SE safety razors. I read some statistics here and elsewhere that illustrate what a niche market it is.

Then I look at the product offerings on the market these days. Lots of “cool” and quirky graphics on soap tubs, not to mention some really creative names. Much of it seems to be targeted to the younger crowd. Seems like a bad marketing strategy to aim for younger buyers if it’s only us “older” 😉 folks using this stuff. There are some very expensive and new razors on the market and selling well.

This style of shaving is sticking around.

It blows my mind how few people it seems actually use traditional DE or SE safety razors. I read some statistics here and elsewhere that illustrate what a niche market it is.

Then I look at the product offerings on the market these days. Lots of “cool” and quirky graphics on soap tubs, not to mention some really creative names. Much of it seems to be targeted to the younger crowd. Seems like a bad marketing strategy to aim for younger buyers if it’s only us “older” 😉 folks using this stuff. There are some very expensive and new razors on the market and selling well.

This style of shaving is sticking around.
I figure 90% of what's on the market today is not looking at my demographic. Most of the soaps/creams/splashes and weird brush handles seem to be marketed to guys in their 20s-30s. But that's the only hope of a future in this form of shaving so it doesn't surprise me, it simply doesn't interest me (which is why I prefer traditional products from traditional manufacturers).

I agree that DE shaving is not a fad, never was. In developed countries it is a niche market that attracts shavers for a variety of reasons such as:
  • Turning a daily chore into a pleasant ritual that provides a brief respite from our day to day activities
  • Pursuit of shaving as a hobby with a wide variety of options in hardware and software that can be tailored to fit almost anyone's personal preferences including ownership of related collectables
  • Achievement of significant savings versus shaving systems via a minimalist approach
  • Return to shaving tools utilized when younger before systems dominated wet shaving
  • Mastering a new challenge (especially for our SE shavers)
  • Pursuit of the nostalgia associated with DE/SE shaving
  • Often a mix of the above that evolves over time
In developing countries DE wet shaving is still a mainstream market with significant share. Fortunate for us or we would not have access to all the blades and basic razors that many of us like at such low cost.

In developed countries the vast majority of shavers use electrics or cartridge systems. I suspect that the reason for the perception of DE/SE wet shaving as a fad was due to all the press in the mainstream media (e.g. GQ, Wall St. Journal, etc.) over the 3-5 years before the pandemic. With all of the recent political upheaval, the pandemic and growing geopolitical challenges around the world our hobby has not received a lot of mainstream press attention over the past few years possibly giving the impression that it is a passing fad. Pandemic disruptions have also been a significant issue.

The fact that manufacturers and retailers have adjusted assortments away for legacy (e.g. used Williams with fathers' Superspeed razor for 50 years) shavers to current hobbyists, including the devotion of significant new shelf space in chains such as Target, is encouraging as they would not expend the effort and resources unless they saw a reasonable level of demand. The growth of a major artisan brand like Stirling is also an indication that this remains a viable niche. For more evidence here at B&B we see members with a wide variety of ages from 20 somethings to those from pre baby boom generations.

I'm optimistic that our niche hobby will continue to do well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I accidently found out about traditional wet shaving when looking for better knife sharpening tools from ideas on You-tube.
I used cartridge razors for over 35 years mostly Gillette excellent products!
My main objective was to save some money instead of spending money on cartridge razors and thought why not buy one and some soap + a boar brush and experiment, the forum's are full of folks with experiences and with different levels of disposable money so it reaches large audiences around the world with the internet.
I knew that saving some money would be minimal at first because you have to spend money to save money and then there are those distractions that can get a fellow going down those rabbit holes and then I found it fascinating that it offers historical features of grooming to these modern razor systems from cutting hair to shaving needs.
Yes you can save money but you must discipline yourself from buying products all over the world and just buy a good product you have researched and just learn & enjoy it until you master it.(all razors can be mastered over time.) So saving money will be always around for folks who just want a decent shave or hair cut. Where I saved most of my money was just trimming my own hair and that also is a very rewarding experience just like shaving.
Traditional shaving with safety razors will be around for ever and it must go through cycles and maybe it will be a small roller coaster ride but barbershops need products always and even a person who wants to just use cartridge razors he or she might want brushes, soaps and skin products.
My shaving needs have paid for themselves mostly and have enough products for years of use for the future, but I still like to try different products every once in a while.
I know my skill level has benefited a lot and can use any safety razor made now and from the past and enjoy my shave.

Last edited:
I figure 90% of what's on the market today is not looking at my demographic. Most of the soaps/creams/splashes and weird brush handles seem to be marketed to guys in their 20s-30s. But that's the only hope of a future in this form of shaving so it doesn't surprise me, it simply doesn't interest me (which is why I prefer traditional products from traditional manufacturers).
I agree completely, don’t get me wrong. I have a very small rotation of traditional soaps and old school aftershave splashes. I’m not about being trendy in shaving or anything else. My point was that seeing these companies targeting younger buyers is encouraging!

I agree completely, don’t get me wrong. I have a very small rotation of traditional soaps and old school aftershave splashes. I’m not about being trendy in shaving or anything else. My point was that seeing these companies targeting younger buyers is encouraging!
I don't disagree. They simply are not targeting people like me.

I found out after I started shaving with a DE razor that both my boys (mid and late 30s) already did so. The younger (the Engineer) because he also shaves his head and found that a DE does that well for him. The older (the Sailor) because, like his Dad, every other way causes discomfort, and he can fit his 3 piece razor and several months worth of blades in a large prescription pill bottle. I don't think it's a fad at all, it's people learning that the old timers had it all figured out.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Jill Snodden passed away two years ago; she was a member of this forum.
It's really, really sad news that you mentioned it to me, no wonder her channel hasn't been updated for so long.
The conception of the Women's Shave Channel is interesting and appreciate her unhurried style.

Haven't been on here for awhile. Was never a fad for me, I just have everything I need.
A Parker badger brush in February
100 Voskhod and Parker blades left
I bought the 4 pack of What The Puck shaving soaps and still using the 1st one 8 months later almost kickded, and I shave EVERY DAY
I have the RazoRock .84 GC that's perfect for me.

Other than aftershave balm, I don't need anything for the next 2 years.
I went through that too recently, except I have enough stuff to last the rest of my life at this point :) I even make my own soap and continued to try other soaps for my own learning. All of a sudden I thought, "remember when this was fun and not just a routine"? First thing I did was come back here and do a little searching on familiar terms, e.g. boar brush, razorock, jaws, efficient (you get the point). And just like that, I was back. A fad wanes only to be revived by people who have no idea what the reality was but think they do. A hobby ebs and flows and to be 100% in all the time is unrealistic. I think a lifestyle is a combination of those two things only longer: sometimes never returning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom