What's new

Is the Rocket 500 HD an awesome razor?

I am looking at purchasing one of these. I've kind of fell off the vintage razor train for awhile but wanted to get back on. I currently have a slim, fatboy, Old Type, SC New, 47 Aristocrat, 52 Milord some Canadian techs and a few others. I can't say I'm a fan of the adjustable, never really warmed up to the aristocrat of milord (which I find shave the same), would the HD be any different?

For modern razors, I've used a DE89 (PIF'd to my best friend), RR Hawk (PIF'd to my brother), Merkur 38c, Merkur 39c and a Muhle R41 (2013).

Tell me your thoughts on this razor?

An excellent choice. A mild every day razor.

I have a Parat, regular flare tip and HD500 (as a 59 set). They all shave fairly similarly, but the HD500 is my favourite... just better looking than the others.

I would compare it to the Fatboy on a setting of 3. Definitely more mild than the Aristocrat.

Thank you. I was hoping it would be more aggressive. I love vintage razors but want something a little more aggressive.

I would agree with Mitchell. I have owned two and sold both. They are great razors but I found them too mild. If you are used to Gillette adjustables I would say HDs are in the 3-4 range. The look fantasic and feel great in the hand, too bad they are so mild.

Solid, classic TTO razor but as noted above it is not overly aggressive, especially if you like to feel the blade during your shave. It would probably pair best with a blade regarded for its sharpness such as Feather or Kai.

Top Bottom