What's new

New guy

I know the NEW SC and LC will both have positive blade exposure, that might be what you're feeling. More blade exposure makes the edge easier to feel so you might be finding the proper angle easier than you would with a razor like a Tech that has neutral to negative blade exposure. Its hard to say.

I can have a closer and more comfortable shave with my Fatip Grande than I can a Gillette Tech, so you're not alone in that regard. My skin doesnt like blade gap and thats a major cause of irritation for me. My Fatip Grande has very little blade gap, much less than a Gillette Tech. Thats why I can have a more comfortable shave with my Grande. The Fatip Grande also has generous positive blade exposure, which leads to far fewer passes needed. Again, more gentle on my skin.

The key point is, you're aware of the differences. Understanding those differences and why they matter is the short road to the perfect shave.

You're off to a great start!

That explains a lot. I could also see why someone would say not to be quick to discount said Techs or razors with more blade exposure until my technique gets better. Thanks for that! I also feel I may be in your boat as well. My skin doesn't seem to like larger blade gaps either.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That explains a lot. I could also see why someone would say not to be quick to discount said Techs or razors with more blade exposure until my technique gets better. Thanks for that! I also feel I may be in your boat as well. My skin doesn't seem to like larger blade gaps either.

There are, as I see it, two schools of thought on developing a solid technique. One is using a mild and forgiving razor like a Tech. They are capable of giving a great shave without causing any blood loss. Virtually anyone can have a good shave with a Tech, its difficult not too.

The other, is using a more unforgiving razor like a Gillette Old Type, R41, Fatip ect. If you make a mistake you pay in blood. Lessons are learned very quickly.

I personally feel theres an advantage to learning with unforgiving razors. Once you can have a really great shave with a Fatip or R41, most other razors become especially easy to use and have an even better shave with because you've become more aware of what matters most.

Learning my post war Tech taught me a lot. Learning my Fatip Grande taught me a lot more. Learning my GEM MMOC taught me all I wanted to know lol.

My best shaves of the last two years have been with razors that offer minimal blade gap and generous blade exposure of a well supported (rigid) blade. All the rest falls on me. As long as my technique is solid and I keep to the right angle of use for the area being shaved, I have a great shave.

By "area being shaved" I mean that I shave different areas of my face and neck with differing angles, from extremely shallow to extremely steep, all with the same razor. The angle I use in any specific part of my shave is dictated by direction of growth. When done right with my top razors, Fatip Grande and MMOC, I feel nothing and have zero irritation, even at 48 and up to 100 hours growth with a single buffing pass ATG.

The key to that is learning what works for you and understanding why. Then you start having the best shaves of your life, which in my case being 53 years old now, has been a long time coming but I'm finally there. Every bit of it, all I've learned on this forum and from its members has paid off.

There are, as I see it, two schools of thought on developing a solid technique. One is using a mild and forgiving razor like a Tech. They are capable of giving a great shave without causing any blood loss. Virtually anyone can have a good shave with a Tech, its difficult not too.

The other, is using a more unforgiving razor like a Gillette Old Type, R41, Fatip ect. If you make a mistake you pay in blood. Lessons are learned very quickly.

I personally feel theres an advantage to learning with unforgiving razors. Once you can have a really great shave with a Fatip or R41, most other razors become especially easy to use and have an even better shave with because you've become more aware of what matters most.

Learning my post war Tech taught me a lot. Learning my Fatip Grande taught me a lot more. Learning my GEM MMOC taught me all I wanted to know lol.

My best shaves of the last two years have been with razors that offer minimal blade gap and generous blade exposure of a well supported (rigid) blade. All the rest falls on me. As long as my technique is solid and I keep to the right angle of use for the area being shaved, I have a great shave.

By "area being shaved" I mean that I shave different areas of my face and neck with differing angles, from extremely shallow to extremely steep, all with the same razor. The angle I use in any specific part of my shave is dictated by direction of growth. When done right with my top razors, Fatip Grande and MMOC, I feel nothing and have zero irritation, even at 48 and up to 100 hours growth with a single buffing pass ATG.

The key to that is learning what works for you and understanding why. Then you start having the best shaves of your life, which in my case being 53 years old now, has been a long time coming but I'm finally there. Every bit of it, all I've learned on this forum and from its members has paid off.

This is why I always shut up and listen to my elders as my own have taught me: There's a lot to be learned, and fewer people as the years go on that are willing to pass that knowledge of experience onto the younger generation to keep those traditions alive.

I'm huge on that whole thing: I work on cars for a living; no such thing as knowing it all. Some things can't be taught like technique and finesse or what blade works best, etc. All goes by experience and sometimes luckily enough, somebody that's already been there before you to help make it easier and more forgiving. Well said sir!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is why I always shut up and listen to my elders as my own have taught me: There's a lot to be learned, and fewer people as the years go on that are willing to pass that knowledge of experience onto the younger generation to keep those traditions alive.

I'm huge on that whole thing: I work on cars for a living; no such thing as knowing it all. Some things can't be taught like technique and finesse or what blade works best, etc. All goes by experience and sometimes luckily enough, somebody that's already been there before you to help make it easier and more forgiving. Well said sir!

Well, thanks!

I'm also a car guy but dont have the patients to work full time as a mechanic haha. As a mechanic you understand that there are little tricks of the trade that can make a job go much smoother than not knowing them. Shaving might be a similar concept and there are similar tricks, but the kicker is, we're all individuals and must be treated as such. Therefore, there arent many tricks that will help everyone. There are some that will help most but no one else can say what they might be. Read between the lines and apply the information learned to yourself and you'll be ahead of the curve.

Every member of this forum, at one time or another, has been exactly where you are. All of us. The membership of this forum never ceases to amaze me with how eager they all are to help anyone that asks.

There are no silly questions. If you're unsure of anything, ask. You'll get enough information from the members to apply to yourself and make a very good educated guess.

The best advice I can give to shaving is, make comfort your #1 priority. If comfort is lacking ask yourself why. If you cant figure it out, ask. Thats why we're here.

Top Bottom