What's new

New guy

Hello all, I decided to join because everyone here has some really good info and tech on my new hobby. I've already got the RAD and have been on eBay for the last 3 months😆

Anyhow, I've got pretty good results, I own about 10 razors already lol. My blade of choice seems to be a Gillette Silver Blue followed by an Astra SP. I use them (GSB's) in all my razors. Haven't really explored blade wise. These work for me, no irritation or burning from my aggressive razors.

I own some mild razors like old Gillette Techs, SuperSpeed, VDH Target special, Jagger DE 89. I seem to struggle getting close with those without irritation and multiple passes and touch ups. My aggressive razors all perform excellent close shaves, irritation free. Maybe you all could chime in on that.

So far I've got red and green Proraso products, an Omega 48 brush and things are pretty sweet. Thanks for reading, I hope to learn more as time goes on acquire some more razors! Here's some shots of my collection so far! New 30s SC, New 30s LC, 46-47 Aristocrat, 51 SuperSpeed, 55 Tech, 1920s Milady Decollette, VDH tto, EJ DE89, Merkur 38C, and a Parker Semi slant up in the mix this far🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_233840066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200122_233840066_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200122_233815555.jpg
    IMG_20200122_233815555.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200122_233938452.jpg
    IMG_20200122_233938452.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Thanks for the welcome so far guys. Yeah half the fun of this is getting to learn the feel for all of them, trying blades etc. Definitely fun for me. This is seriously getting me through the winter haha

My open comb razors, the 38C and the semi slant I'd say. They all seem to do work very easily. For me, I get instant feedback and a sense of control using the "heavier" ones like that. Those are probably my top choices for a daily driver razor in my bunch. And they never burn me up or stick me. Lol. Idk.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know the NEW SC and LC will both have positive blade exposure, that might be what you're feeling. More blade exposure makes the edge easier to feel so you might be finding the proper angle easier than you would with a razor like a Tech that has neutral to negative blade exposure. Its hard to say.

I can have a closer and more comfortable shave with my Fatip Grande than I can a Gillette Tech, so you're not alone in that regard. My skin doesnt like blade gap and thats a major cause of irritation for me. My Fatip Grande has very little blade gap, much less than a Gillette Tech. Thats why I can have a more comfortable shave with my Grande. The Fatip Grande also has generous positive blade exposure, which leads to far fewer passes needed. Again, more gentle on my skin.

The key point is, you're aware of the differences. Understanding those differences and why they matter is the short road to the perfect shave.

You're off to a great start!

Top Bottom