What's new

Is St. James bay rum worth the price?

I'm going to assume that you're talking about St. John's. I used to be a really big fan of the stuff. I still have a bottle of their long discontinued bay rum balm. To me, it had a warm vanilla quality about it that overcame the clove note that most people found unappealing. The woven palm wrapping around the bottle gave the stuff some nostalgic flair, but the scent never did last very long, at least for me.

Ultimately, the only one to decide if it's "worth it" is you, but I won't be buying any more. They do have an interesting history.... you can check it out at their website, and they DO take care of their customers.

St Johns Fragrance Co | Colognes - Aftershave - Soaps | Shop Online

Don

I have a bottle and I quite like it.
It does have clove forward in the mix, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Overall, I think it's a well-rounded bay-rum, and better than some others, like Taylor.
Bay-rums tend to be highly individual, you have to try a few to find a favourite.
They do sell a sampler of it, and of their other types. Before you invest $50, check out a sampler.
They hire local islanders to weave the straw onto the bottle by hand. They had to stop for a while after the recent hurricane, so you might find "hurricane" bottles on ebay with the straw "painted" on.

I haven’t tried that one, but I would recommend the Royall BayRhum. It’s it in same price category and also has a cool bottle.
I’ll keep the bottle and refill it with Captains Choice. They smell almost identical to me and CC is much cheaper.

I haven’t tried that one, but I would recommend the Royall BayRhum. It’s it in same price category and also has a cool bottle.
I’ll keep the bottle and refill it with Captains Choice. They smell almost identical to me and CC is much cheaper.
Smart! One could probably even buy an empty bottle for a small price to really save. CC is good stuff.

Top Bottom