What's new

Master bay rum alternative

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I want to make some Bootleggers bay rum but Masters bay rum is no longer available. Any recommendations for a substitute?

Gabel’s or Stephan’s should work well as a replacement as far as scent goes. But Master had quite a bit more glycerin in it then the above two.

This extra glycerin not only helps cut the extra alcohol in Superior 70, but it also helps the Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum with it’s longevity and moisturizing.

If Stephan’s or Gabel’s is substituted in place of Master, and an extra 1-2 drops pf vegetable glycerin per ounce might be considered. :)

OkieStubble

Thanks for your replies, I have Stephan's
Bay rum, so I'll order the other ingredients, including the glycerin, and I'll mix some up!

I think you will find Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum to not only be an classic Bay Rum with excellent scent, longevity and face feel, but also very economical to make once the initial costs of obtaining the separate ingredients.

While obtaining the various other bottles of aftershave costs money, when you actually sit down and compare how much Bootlegger’s you can make by mixing those other aftershave’s, you will see how really cheap an excellent Bay Rum can be.

One can make over 40 ounces of Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum which is easily a lifetime supply? :).

When doing the math; and the cost of those 40 ounces are divided on a calculator by the ounce? You will see a lifetime supply of Bootlegger’s will only cost around a dollar and some change per ounce. Now compare that to any other, quality, name brand Bay Rum?

Considering there are popular Bay Rums that are going for well over $20-$30 for a 4 ounce bottle? Break that down per ounce and some are $4-$6 per ounce. Compared to a buck something per ounce, for a 40 ounce lifetime supply? Can’t be mad at the math. :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong if one already prefers another, quality, Bay Rum that is more expensive if they enjoy it. Don’t fix what ain’t broken I like to say if you can afford it. But if you are economically minded and like to pinch pennies as I do, but still want to experience the joy of having a quality Bay Rum that doesn’t smell or feel cheap? And while all Bay Rums are fleeting in scent by their very nature, yes, even the expensive ones. Bootlegger’s Bay Rum will and can compete with the best of them for the money you paid.

To be perfectly clear, there is no such thing as ‘The Best Bay Rum’. It isn’t possible with any brand. Only individual perceptions & opinions of what is best; and I can vouch for the truth that there are plenty of those. ;)

So while I never will say Bootlegger’s is the best; or even better than any other brand of Bay Rum, I do say; and stand behind the statement that it will and can compete against any other brand of Bay Rum. So, while it isn’t the very best a $100 dollars can buy, it isn’t a cheap, thin, dull, bland $8 Bay Rum either.

Did I happen to mention you can mix up a whopping 40 ounces of this stuff? That’s 1.183 Liters of the stuff! That’s 2.5 pounds of an excellent quality Bay Rum!

:)

Last edited:
I mixed up a batch today, I substituted Stephens bay rum for the Masters. I used 1 drop of vegetable glycerin per ounce of Masters.
I now see what all the fuss is about. This bay rum is very well balanced, it smells and feels great. Highly recommended!

I mixed up a batch today, I substituted Stephens bay rum for the Masters. I used 1 drop of vegetable glycerin per ounce of Masters.
I now see what all the fuss is about. This bay rum is very well balanced, it smells and feels great. Highly recommended!
I’ve noticed that the Stephan’s is less “spicy” than the Gabel’s. Both are very good but I prefer the Stephan’s version more

I’ve noticed that the Stephan’s is less “spicy” than the Gabel’s. Both are very good but I prefer the Stephan’s version more

A 50/50 mixture of Gabel's with Stephan Bay Rum works pretty well. I like Gabel's (same as Suavecito, AFAIK) but it does not have any conditioning ingredients except the bay tree oil. Very old school.

OkieStubble

I’m glad you like it! :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Yeah, there’s enough spice in PVIBR to go around without adding more. I can see where the Stephan’s would help tone the PVIBR down and smooth out the mix much in the same way as Master has always done.
Your testing of the Stephan’s and Gabel’s has been very valuable and appreciated sir!

Yeah, there’s enough spice in PVIBR to go around without adding more. I can see where the Stephan’s would help tone the PVIBR down and smooth out the mix much in the same way as Master has always done.
Your testing of the Stephan’s and Gabel’s has been very valuable and appreciated sir!

Thank you for that. I agree that VIBR is spice heavy. There’s also a sweetness to VIBR that I’m not a fan of and therefore I don’t use it on its own because of that. Once it’s mixed with the other ingredients everything balances out nicely and becomes a thing of beauty

Gabel’s or Stephan’s should work well as a replacement as far as scent goes. But Master had quite a bit more glycerin in it then the above two.

This extra glycerin not only helps cut the extra alcohol in Superior 70, but it also helps the Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum with it’s longevity and moisturizing.

If Stephan’s or Gabel’s is substituted in place of Master, and an extra 1-2 drops pf vegetable glycerin per ounce might be considered. :)
It’s funny that you mention the glycerin, reminded me of a conversation from an old thread about Master bay rum. My bottle doesn’t have glycerin listed in the ingredients list, but it definitely has that feeling of a high glycerin content. It always made me wonder if my bottle was mislabeled or if it was the bay leaf oil in the ingredients list that I was/am feeling.

IMG_1468.jpeg

OkieStubble

It’s funny that you mention the glycerin, reminded me of a conversation from an old thread about Master bay rum. My bottle doesn’t have glycerin listed in the ingredients list, but it definitely has that feeling of a high glycerin content. It always made me wonder if my bottle was mislabeled or if it was the bay leaf oil in the ingredients list that I was/am feeling.

View attachment 1805570

The older bottles of Master had glycerin in their ingredients list in the past for quite sometime, but the FDA had ruled here not to long back in the recent past that it didn’t require companies to list glycerin but kept it as an option.

So once Master updated the looks of their bottles, they decided to opt out of listing glycerin. Why? I don’t know, but once they did many in these forums began discussing that Master was no longer using glycerin in their Bay Rum, even though many here swore they could still tell all that glycerin they liked to use was still there.

Several members here, including myself emailed Master Well Comb asking them; and their response was, “Master Bay Rum has not had a reformulation And glycerin is still apart of it’s ingredients.”

But they gave no answers or explanations as to why they decided to not print it in their ingredients list.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Thank you for that. I agree that VIBR is spice heavy. There’s also a sweetness to VIBR that I’m not a fan of and therefore I don’t use it on its own because of that. Once it’s mixed with the other ingredients everything balances out nicely and becomes a thing of beauty

In all the years since the creation of the Bootlegger’s Series, I don’t use most of the Pinaud’s alone anymore, except for the great American classic of Clubman.

I much prefer Green Freeze over Skin Bracer or Osage Rub alone?

I much prefer EL Dorado over Special Reserve, Classic Vanilla or modern English Leather by a long shot! :)

I could go down the list of the series and state a preference over any of the individual components. This in a nutshell, has been what has purposed the creation of the Bootlegger’s brand from the beginning and defining its mission statement of ‘Synergy’.

Synergy- Where the whole is greater than the sum of it’s individual parts.

I heard one definition many years ago, which I really liked;

“the combined power of a group of things; when they are working together, that is greater than the total power achieved by each working separately.” :)

Top Bottom