What's new

Is one pressure cooker better than another?

I'm looking to buy a pressure cooker, I know this is like asking which is the best truck to buy, and maybe the better question would be are there any pressure cookers to stay away from. I'm just need some of the master cooks here to give advise. So with hopes this doesn't start the pressure cooker war of 2013. Your thoughts are appreciated, Thanks .........JR:blink:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well it so happens I've been looking for my next. Currently I'm using a very very inexpensive aluminum Miro. I want a bit better.

1) Stainless steel vs. aluminum taste with tomato based products and even though I don't buy the hype I've a niggling about the aluminum related health issues. Also aluminum discolors when washed in a dishwasher.
2) Well . . . dishwasher safe. Maybe I could put up with hand washing the lid considering I'm hand washing the one I'm using now from top to bottom
3) Popular and long lived brand . . . I want to be able to find a replacement gasket in x years when it gives out (probably early since I'm using a dishwasher)
4) I like the idea of more than one pressure. Must be my inner geek.
5) I hate reports of blowing up.
6) Speed is important.

What do you cook? How big do you need it? I'm just suggesting criteria here. Hoping folk can add and suggest.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had my Fagor for years now and the silicone seal seems indestructible. My last one had a rubber gasket and it leaked after a couple of years.

Stain less sounds good to me. Yes being able to get a new seal in x years is important. Actually I may buy and extra one when I buy it, and hope like hell I can find it in x years when I need it. I was kind of hoping there might be a suggestion as to what would be a good size. I plan to pressure cook things like chicken and pork before I put them on my grill. and I'm a big fan of hamhocks and beans, green or navy. I have never heard of a Fagor will look it up on the net. Thanks for your input..........JR

+1 for finding spare parts.

I have a stainless Aeternum (Italian) brand pressure cooker and while there is one website for finding parts, it's a dark art to locate the vendor. I end up buying gaskets in Italy when I'm there. I wouldn't want an aluminum model, the stainless steel cleans up effortlessly.

As for size, I have a 10 quart model and I am able to do a 5 lb chuck roast with room for six huge onions, no problem. I''ve never put a chicken in there--I prefer to roast--but I have no doubt the pot could handle it. What's nice is that I can do small volumes with no problem, so the large size is really a winner.

It's a thin-bottommed pot and can burn food easily if left on a high flame for long but if you know what you're doing it's manageable. Make sure you have enough liquid and turn the flame to low once the pot comes up to pressure.

Go to a store to try the open and close mechanism, if possible. Some of the models seem like they might feel awkward to handle and you want to be confident in closing and opening the unit.

I'm sure you'll love whatever you get since you're doing a bit of research. Enjoy!

+1 for finding spare parts.

I have a stainless Aeternum (Italian) brand pressure cooker and while there is one website for finding parts, it's a dark art to locate the vendor. I end up buying gaskets in Italy when I'm there. I wouldn't want an aluminum model, the stainless steel cleans up effortlessly.

As for size, I have a 10 quart model and I am able to do a 5 lb chuck roast with room for six huge onions, no problem. I''ve never put a chicken in there--I prefer to roast--but I have no doubt the pot could handle it. What's nice is that I can do small volumes with no problem, so the large size is really a winner.

It's a thin-bottommed pot and can burn food easily if left on a high flame for long but if you know what you're doing it's manageable. Make sure you have enough liquid and turn the flame to low once the pot comes up to pressure.

Go to a store to try the open and close mechanism, if possible. Some of the models seem like they might feel awkward to handle and you want to be confident in closing and opening the unit.

I'm sure you'll love whatever you get since you're doing a bit of research. Enjoy!

Thanks ever so much, all your advice I have taken to heart. I ws wondering if you could use a bigger cooker for small jobs.

I have 3 Fagor pressure cookers, one 10 Qt, and and two 6 quarts. One of the 6 quart Fagor cookers replaced a very old Presto 6 quart pressure cooker. I sometimes cook early in the morning and wanted to try a modern, low-noise pressure cooker that used a pressure release valve rathern than a rocking weight.

Pressure Cookers should last for decades of regular use, so keep in mind that any extra money that you spend will be averaged out over time.

Minimally you should be looking for at least one emergency pressure release system. Choose stainless steel over aluminum as it's non-reactive meaning that it won't affect the flavor of highly acidic foods such as tomatoes. Keep in mind that you should never fill your cooker more than 2/3 full and if cooking legumes, never more than 1/2 full.

Regarding using a bigger cooker for small jobs, the answer is yes. The sole downside is that their is more interior volume to pressurise meaning that it will take a few minutes longer to come to full pressure compared to a smaller PC.

Thanks ever so much, all your advice I have taken to heart. I ws wondering if you could use a bigger cooker for small jobs.

I've had a 7-qt. Fagor for about 10 years and it makes excellent results. It's a wonderful old company based in Spain.
Several years ago, Fagor began outsourcing some of their products to China. Just make sure yours says Made in Spain on the bottom of the pot.

I've had a 7-qt. Fagor for about 10 years and it makes excellent results. It's a wonderful old company based in Spain.
Several years ago, Fagor began outsourcing some of their products to China. Just make sure yours says Made in Spain on the bottom of the pot.
Will do, seems the fagor is popular.................JR

Some PC have a single pressure release, but some have a pressure release which have 3 pressures, 5,10 and 15 lbs. Is that something to take into consideration? Or will I be useing just 1 of the pressures all the time?......JR

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The standard for pressure is 15 PSI. Options pressure wise are a "nice to have" and appeal to my inner geek. I think for my own search I've narrowed it down to Kuhn Rikon or Fagor. It turns out some other options can't actually achieve the 15 PSI so you would have to somehow adjust recipes Clearly Fagor is less expensive and the parts are very available. I may go high end this time though.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are into making soups that require lots of bones and vegetables a larger pot is better. When I make some oxtail soup Hawaiian style I run out of space really quickly.

Once again thank you gentleman for all your valued opinons. I first started to just wanting to precook some meat for the grill, but now you guys have me thinking about veggies and soup. Thanks for sure......................JR

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Once again thank you gentleman for all your valued opinons. I first started to just wanting to precook some meat for the grill, but now you guys have me thinking about veggies and soup. Thanks for sure......................JR

The beauty of the pressure cooker is the soup that used to have to simmer for 5 hours can now be made in 2 hours or so.

Well it so happens I've been looking for my next. Currently I'm using a very very inexpensive aluminum Miro. I want a bit better.

1) Stainless steel vs. aluminum taste with tomato based products and even though I don't buy the hype I've a niggling about the aluminum related health issues. Also aluminum discolors when washed in a dishwasher.
2) Well . . . dishwasher safe. Maybe I could put up with hand washing the lid considering I'm hand washing the one I'm using now from top to bottom
3) Popular and long lived brand . . . I want to be able to find a replacement gasket in x years when it gives out (probably early since I'm using a dishwasher)
4) I like the idea of more than one pressure. Must be my inner geek.
5) I hate reports of blowing up.
6) Speed is important.

What do you cook? How big do you need it? I'm just suggesting criteria here. Hoping folk can add and suggest.

I'd recommend if it's a removable gasket (I've never seen one that isn't) do NOT put the gasket in the dishwasher! It shouldn't really get anything on it during the cooking process, even if it does, a hand washing in warm water should cover it!

I have a Miro stainless steel from the ... 60s I think. Never rusted & works great! My only complaints? It's a bit small and over the (many) years the model number imprinted on the bottom has worn, so finding the right replacement gasket has turned into a minor pain in the butt. AFAIK however, they still make all the gaskets they've ever made, so once I zero in on that, it's fine.

I don't plan on canning and what little I've read you can't or shouldn't use canners as cookers.I'm ordering a Fagor as my first cooker, 6 quart, although the one from switzerland is impressive...............JR

I don't plan on canning and what little I've read you can't or shouldn't use canners as cookers.I'm ordering a Fagor as my first cooker, 6 quart, although the one from switzerland is impressive...............JR
It's actually the other way around, that you can't use a cooker as a canner. The small 16 quart canners are decent cookers if you are cooking in quantity such as large roasts or lots of stock.

Top Bottom