What's new

Is Nothing Sacred?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The times they are a changing. But I'm not. It's my dang house. If you walk in, find one of my guns, touch it without permission, prepare for me to find you if I happen to not be at home when you touched it. I'm old dying of heart disease in peices, and would look sympathetic to a jury, lol.

FarmerTan

No, I don't have a one of the excellent Kuhnhausen books, but have long "gimp-legged" along with NRA's disassembly publications. I've borrowed others' copies. Still need to add Kuhnhausen's books to the library.

I can manage to detail strip the various 20th century Colt "V-Spring models" but don't profess to enjoy doing it.

I gotta take one apart now. Turns out the New Service Model 1909 I purchased years ago from an old gun club friend who got it from the San Antonio Arsenal in 1920 is still full of probably pre-World War I cosmoline. As fastidious as he was about his gun cleaning and maintenance and as OCD as I am about mine, this discovery was surprising. The revolver just sorta froze up when I had it out for exercise recently. Removed the stocks to find a giant glump of cosmoline hanging out the bottom of the action. My usual habit is to detail strip and clean any firearms acquisition and I was surprised that I hadn't done so with this one. Even more surprised that my friend had never cleaned it as I had assumed.

Need some gen-u-whine collector's item cosmoline? Fix ya' right up.
Needs a sun bath? lol

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I won't lie.

I just don't like nannying.

It's becoming more and more a pet peeve of mine.

Don't want to be nannied by anybody or anything. Don't want others' suggestions unsolicited yet delivered, especially when delivered with a condescending, critical, or imperious tone.

Don't want my vehicle, appliances, computer or any other apparatus nannying me, especially to the point that they won't operate unless I comply with pre-programmed nannying. Don't want cars that sound alarms or turn off the audio system until I buckle the seat belt. Don't want voices coming out of the dash warning me the door is ajar. Don't want the microwave to beep at me continuously once its heating cycle is completed. I'll open the door when I'm good and ready and if I want to allow the contents to completely cool off then I'll do it. If I'm too absentminded to get back to it then ... tough! I'll have to deal with cold food. Don't want the washing machine door to lock once the cycle has started for I might want to throw another pair of underwear in. Don't want power tools nannying me. Don't even tell me not to use the hair dryer while in the bathtub or to avoid sniffing fumes on paint and solvents. There are myriad mechanical devices that now nanny us in ways we've come to accept, even rely on. I don't want any of it!

Don't want guns nannying me. No ugly warnings emblazoned on barrels or slides. No trigger locks. No unnecessary safety baggage. No "smart guns".

An aside: "Smart" anything is a runner up among peeves of mine. If anything is prefixed by the word "smart" then I won't have it. Smart guns, smart cars, smart banking, smart watch, smart homes, ... Smart marketing delivering over-priced gimmick-y, yet mundane items to the stupid gullible is what it is.

Don't want food labeling to nanny me. Don't care what "the State of California has determined ..." about anything I consume. Don't want to know what the Food and Drug administration thinks about it. Inform me of the ingredients and allow me to decide whether or not to consume.

Don't accept environmentalism nannying. I don't intend to accept someone else's sad false religion.

Government nannying, the most insidious nannying of all. It's pervasive. We're regulated into the dirt! Bureaucratic regulations bedevil us at every turn, decreed by un-elected nitwits who aren't properly overseen by the nitwits we do elect ... and we live with it, come to expect it! "Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?!" The Five Man Electrical Band got it all wrong. They missed the point with their song "Signs." They aimlessly railed against social norms in 1971 all while our U. S. government was well along in tightening the screws of intrusive nannying on free Americans. And, there are more signs now than ever.

:a14:

For what it is worth, Pasco County Florida, deputy stationed in a school, says his pistol fired while in his holster. It was a Sig. I would think law enforcenent would prefer a safety in case a thug snatches his gun, it may slow the thug down on making the gun go bang. Plus maybe a safety lowers the chance of a discharge while in the holster.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For what it is worth, Pasco County Florida, deputy stationed in a school, says his pistol fired while in his holster.

That sounds a little suspect to me. Trying to cover for a negligent discharge?

"I dunno what happened. It just went off."

A kid could have been messing with him while he wasn't looking though. But that's no excuse.

FarmerTan

That sounds a little suspect to me. Trying to cover for a negligent discharge?

"I dunno what happened. It just went off."

A kid could have been messing with him while he wasn't looking though. But that's no excuse.
Yep. Wasn't it @OkieStubble that alluded to knowing enough to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to squeeze it? Just another reason I'm in love with revolvers. Older the better, lol.

For what it is worth, Pasco County Florida, deputy stationed in a school, says his pistol fired while in his holster. It was a Sig. I would think law enforcenent would prefer a safety in case a thug snatches his gun, it may slow the thug down on making the gun go bang. Plus maybe a safety lowers the chance of a discharge while in the holster.
Pasco County Deputy scrambles to keep his job.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pasco County Deputy scrambles to keep his job.

Then there is the possibility of skewed news reports. I don't know how many times I've seen articles in the paper on a crime and said "That's not what happened. Hell, I was there."

The school probably has surveillance cameras. An internal investigation should find out what really happened.

FarmerTan

Then there is the possibility of skewed news reports. I don't know how many times I've seen articles in the paper on a crime and said "That's not what happened. Hell, I was there."

The school probably has surveillance cameras. An internal investigation should find out what really happened.
Exactly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes, I do agree that someone should be responsible for keeping their weapons secure. And you are entirely correct about the era where guns were kept in a glass front gun cabinet, or even just hung on a wall in an open gun rack, is gone now. I used go have a rack in the back window of my truck that held a .30-30 and a 20 gauge and never had a problem. They would be stolen in a heartbeat now days. Now I have a good safe...except for the ones that are kept handy for carry and home defense. But there are no young kids around now and the only visitors are familiar with firearms.

:biggrin1:

I made a post about a year or two ago about stickers that are on every one of the windows at Mom's house. It said:

WARNING! OPEN WINDOWS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
Use caution when around an open window.

And the windows are on a single story house...if you fell out it would be just falling down from a standing position. Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers. I'm waiting for warning labels on butter knives.
you may have seen the mazda commercial where the girl flies away holding a single red balloon?
As she floats up a warning appears at the bottom of the screen alerting the viewer that this is a dramatization do not try this.
Seriously.
This made me change my view that it was the "lawyers"
I think it is society.

FarmerTan

you may have seen the mazda commercial where the girl flies away holding a single red balloon?
As she floats up a warning appears at the bottom of the screen alerting the viewer that this is a dramatization do not try this.
Seriously.
This made me change my view that it was the "lawyers"
I think it is society.
I'm old and crotchety, but I think it's time some folks did "try this at home" so we can thin the herd. Ugh.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm old and crotchety, but I think it's time some folks did "try this at home" so we can thin the herd. Ugh.
I think that sometimes too
But floating from a standing position into the sky holding a single balloon by a string?
Yes i double dare someone to try that at home.

I suppose the warning applies to the persistent one who decides to step off the rim of the grand canyon to get some lift!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps guns with light trigger pulls should have trigger blocks.
?? My shotguns and rifles have safeties.

Perhaps people should be properly trained. Making guns harder to shoot doesn't make them idiot proof. The idiots will try harder!

>>Making guns harder to shoot doesn't make them idiot proof.
I agree with the statement above, but I still want a trigger block type safety on my guns (or a long hard trigger pull).
I would think (and apparently I would be wrong) that law enforcement would want a gun that the thug cannot fire until he figures out the safety - which could give the officer time to take action before the thug shoots. It is certainly a possibility that a thug can grab an officer's gun, I suspect it happens and I do remember the details of one case.

I will speculate on what happened (likely a combination of things): Something got into the holster near the trigger, or the gun got jarred, or the gun got torqued somehow as he leaned against the wall (perhaps driving the gun into the wall and moving it in the holder). The gun/holster combo could be a factor. The gun already had one recall on it. I doubt the officer pulled the gun out of the holster at the school he worked at, if that were the case I think it would have come out by now.

Here is a link to something similar:
Officer safety. RE: Equipment. Accidental discharge on a traffic stop. : ProtectAndServe

The worst trigger I wish to feel under my right index finger is a well worn Smith & Wesson K-Frame double-action trigger. I don't want to use any guns with triggers having designed-in impediments to good shooting. I don't have cruddy, long, hard triggers on my rifles or even my shotguns. I don't want them on any handgun either.

Just a personal thing.

A long time ago on a planet far, far away....well actually Ft.Pierce Fla....
An old school police Captain was demonstrating to a class of recruits how he carried his duty weapon (on duty)..a 4” Colt Diamondback.
****NB**** I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS METHOD OF CARRYING A FIREARM. I THINK IT BORDERS ON RECKLESS!!!!
But for the sake of telling the story....
This police Captain suggested staging the cylinder so that the first trigger pull rotated the cylinder to an empty chamber. Hence, if some desperado snagged your weapon, the first shot was a “click”. The legit shooter had to condition her/himself to initially pull the trigger TWICE to discharge the first shot. Let’s hope some gaggle of lawyers don’t see this......

I have a small safety on my SR9. I purchased it when they first came out and was pleased too have it. I was a newbie to semi auto pistols. Over the years I have started to deactivate it at all times. My second semi auto was a Kahr that didn’t have a safety. I was raised to keep my finger off the trigger until it’s time to shoot hunting so I slowly got used to it.

Whoever designed the safety on the SR9 must have known it would be carried deactivated. It’s tiny and quite hard to activate or deactivate. It’s rounded over to make sure it won’t snag on clothing. I did think it was a good addition when I bought it.... People who have exposure to guns from hunting mostly are used to checking safeties constantly. The idea that the safety would be not putting your finger on the trigger is only inherent to people who train with pistols. You guys are all experts. It took me a while to become comfortable with that idea.

Top Bottom