What's new

Is Nothing Sacred?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I found the foolproof solution to someone taking my weapon and using it against me. I carry an empty gun.

proxy.php

Hunting is different because the gun is usually unholstered. The trigger could be pressed by something other than a finger, such as a tree limb. Situationally when hunting, I often cover one side of my trigger gaurd with my finger, I cannot cover both sides. In all cases my finger is off the trigger until getting ready to fire. I think a hunting gun should have a saftey button of some sort. Edit. Or a long heavy pull.

A handgun holster should protect the trigger from activation. The link I put up earlier alleges that a certain gun (Sig) in a certain holster has been known to fire in the holster.

Apparently I hold the minority preference for guns with either a trigger block safety or a long heavy trigger pull. One must decide for himself what one wants.

People who have exposure to guns from hunting mostly are used to checking safeties constantly. The idea that the safety would be not putting your finger on the trigger is only inherent to people who train with pistols.

Umm... don't know where I learned not keeping your finger on the trigger, but always rest my finger on the trigger guard. Even with an H&K single shot .410 where the safety was you didn't **** it, I don't recall having my finger on the trigger until I was ready to shoot.

Umm... don't know where I learned not keeping your finger on the trigger, but always rest my finger on the trigger guard. Even with an H&K single shot .410 where the safety was you didn't **** it, I don't recall having my finger on the trigger until I was ready to shoot.
Read rest of my post. I also mentioned that I learned that you kept your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot as well. Not having the safety was the part that was a bit odd for me a long gun hunter and a pistol newbie years ago.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
ah, we went around all the time in the 1970s with our fingers right on the triggers ... nobody got shot; hardly ever had accidental discharges ... that one time the camper's stove got shot with a .22 doesn't count. :letterk1: And the air conditioner closet; that one was on purpose. :letterk1: By shotgun accident. Also that time that boy at the range got a .45 ACP to the foot. :letterk1: Wait. Disregard this message; somebody did get shot.

AA :ohmy:

ah, we went around all the time in the 1970s with our fingers right on the triggers ... nobody got shot; hardly ever had accidental discharges ... that one time the camper's stove got shot with a .22 doesn't count. :letterk1: And the air conditioner closet; that one was on purpose. :letterk1: By shotgun accident. Also that time that boy at the range got a .45 ACP to the foot. :letterk1: Wait. Disregard this message; somebody did get shot.

AA :ohmy:
Yes, not pointing guns at things you don’t want to shoot and keeping fingers off triggers are definitely the first rules I was taught by my father. He gave me an old book too with my first bbgun. I forgot the name....

Yum jar!
I don't need to imagine.

Colt Army Special that was the predecessor of Barney's Official Police.
proxy.php

Yum Jar! Cool beans, the Army Special. Looks great too!

Two Army Specials live here and an Official Police like Barney's, all in various stages of degradation, but all still keen old shooters.

Love shooting the 4-inch 1925 vintage .41 Long Colt chambered Army Special here.

This 1915 vintage 6-inch Army Special in .38 Special was purchased for something like $70 to use as a "learner" to see if I could repair it. It wasn't safe and, of course, looks hideous. I did learn on it, Works great now. Still looks hideous.

Before with "gen-u-whine electrical tape wrapped Colt grip bits."

Every primer pierced!

The reason for the above. Homemade firing pin arrangement so loose and flollop-y that it wallowed out the frame on either side.
Ugleeee...!!!

All better. Shown at the top of a photograph of a group of E-Frame Colt revolvers made with side plates removed to show the lock work.

This was an NYPD Official Police .38 Special from 1953. Great shooter and useful handgun. The .38 Special is so much more than a paltry snub nose revolver round.

With a typical NYPD JayPee holster.

I think y'all completely missed the boat on this one.

After having the p320 on the market for 3 years it came out that the government contract guns for the army were going to have a manual safety. (See that lack of training thing mentioned) They then said they were gong to do a limited run of M17s for the civilian market. Apparently they sold like crazy because they made it a regular item.

Somebody at Sig says "hmmm, if it sold that well on the p320..."

My Dad loves his p365. It's his daily carry. When he heard they were dropping a manual safety version he said he wished he'd known. Previously a lifelong 1911 guy.

I see this mainly as a marketing thing to attract the old guys. It may also get them into some of the stupid states like Mass and California. Not that there's not a ridiculous amount of government nannying out there, I just don't think this is an example.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think y'all completely missed the boat on this one.

After having the p320 on the market for 3 years it came out that the government contract guns for the army were going to have a manual safety. (See that lack of training thing mentioned) They then said they were gong to do a limited run of M17s for the civilian market. Apparently they sold like crazy because they made it a regular item.

Somebody at Sig says "hmmm, if it sold that well on the p320..."

My Dad loves his p365. It's his daily carry. When he heard they were dropping a manual safety version he said he wished he'd known. Previously a lifelong 1911 guy.

I see this mainly as a marketing thing to attract the old guys. It may also get them into some of the stupid states like Mass and California. Not that there's not a ridiculous amount of government nannying out there, I just don't think this is an example.

Sounds right to me.

This old guy (born in 1951) has no love for a manual safety on any striker fired pistol. 1911s, Hi Powers, etc., that’s a different story.

I hear you. The p365 is his first striker fired pistol. I don't think he's interested enough to trade it in, more of an idle observation.

Top Bottom