What is your favorite sharpness test?

• Treetopping

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • HHT

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
Okay not to ask silly questions but.....

How much time do you guys spend on the 1k before you can pass these tests ?
Are they even doable on the 1k ?

I haven't been able to pass a HHT yet. I'm not sure if I'm using terrible technique on the hone or if I'm just impatient.
Right now I'm sticking with a 1k/4k pyramid progression and I figure I'll pass an HHT or have a nice toothpick at the end of it.

For the record I'm not certain my razors are sharp enough. I can shave with them but even with very little pressure and angle I seem to get rough shaves. So I've been trying to get the blades as sharp as possible and then go back and work on the shave. But I wonder how much time I should expect to spend before they get this sharp.

I haven't been able to pass a HHT yet. I'm not sure if I'm using terrible technique on the hone or if I'm just impatient.
Right now I'm sticking with a 1k/4k pyramid progression and I figure I'll pass an HHT or have a nice toothpick at the end of it.

For the record I'm not certain my razors are sharp enough. I can shave with them but even with very little pressure and angle I seem to get rough shaves. So I've been trying to get the blades as sharp as possible and then go back and work on the shave. But I wonder how much time I should expect to spend before they get this sharp.
Try a $27 pack of films on a $4 marble tile. I’m thinking most don’t have enough stones to duplicate 8 sheets of film.

I use a 1500 Shapton Pro to set bevel at, and it takes longer than it should maybe. I'm not sure if it's my technique, or something else. But the biggest take away for ME and the system that I use is that when I set the bevel well, it doesn't work at all to use MY hair to check if it's sharp. Also once I get the bevel set, there is significant improvement in HHT as I move up the progression. Like it cuts the hair...but as I said I primarily use the thumb pad test where I can feel a lot better what is going on.

As has previously been stated though, the best test that you can use IS the face test. How does it feel? I only use the thumb pad test so I don't go in blind...or go blind with such a horrible shave :)

I use a 1500 Shapton Pro to set bevel at, and it takes longer than it should maybe. I'm not sure if it's my technique, or something else. But the biggest take away for ME and the system that I use is that when I set the bevel well, it doesn't work at all to use MY hair to check if it's sharp. Also once I get the bevel set, there is significant improvement in HHT as I move up the progression. Like it cuts the hair...but as I said I primarily use the thumb pad test where I can feel a lot better what is going on.

As has previously been stated though, the best test that you can use IS the face test. How does it feel? I only use the thumb pad test so I don't go in blind...or go blind with such a horrible shave :)

Thanks. It's good to know you can't pass the HHT until you move up the progression.
Are you spending time on each stone ? It feels like you spend less time on each as you move up from what I'm reading and watching but I honestly have no idea. I'm doing this by watching and reading and then trying it out myself. lol

It honestly seems that once the bevel is set (the angles meet) it should be super sharp. Then it's a matter of just smoothing that point out so it cuts as easy as possible. Seems simple. And then you try it.....

I use a Chosera 1K for bevel setting if the edge has damage or needs geometry corrections but if the edge needs no corrections I start at the 4K level, I never try cutting hair at the 1K but what I do use is my thumb nail, used to use cherry tomatoes but never seemed to have them on hand all the time so after I used the tomatoes to figure out where the edge needed to be I switched over to using my thumb nail for a comparison and now use that, after bevel setting it’s 4k, 8k, 12 and JNAT but for my razors I can do a 4k and just spend about double the time on a JNAT with a thicker slurry and work it down.

I use a Chosera 1K for bevel setting if the edge has damage or needs geometry corrections but if the edge needs no corrections I start at the 4K level, I never try cutting hair at the 1K but what I do use is my thumb nail, used to use cherry tomatoes but never seemed to have them on hand all the time so after I used the tomatoes to figure out where the edge needed to be I switched over to using my thumb nail for a comparison and now use that, after bevel setting it’s 4k, 8k, 12 and JNAT but for my razors I can do a 4k and just spend about double the time on a JNAT with a thicker slurry and work it down.
Cherry tomatoes at $2.99 a pound? Lol. Tomatoes test is great. But like you I don't always have them. Thumbnail test for me.

Thanks. It's good to know you can't pass the HHT until you move up the progression.
Are you spending time on each stone ? It feels like you spend less time on each as you move up from what I'm reading and watching but I honestly have no idea. I'm doing this by watching and reading and then trying it out myself. lol

It honestly seems that once the bevel is set (the angles meet) it should be super sharp. Then it's a matter of just smoothing that point out so it cuts as easy as possible. Seems simple. And then you try it.....

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but i sharpen on the 1500 shapton pro until it starts to feel different. Sometimes it squeeks, sometimes it feels sticky, sometimes it just feels smoother...then i look at the bevel with a loupe, and check on my thumbnail. When i move up It has been mostly "sharpen until you feel the razor smooth out and sometimes it squeeks. I've only done 11 razors bevel to shave ready, so i'm no authority, but I've done them all within maybe a month. wish i had a good source for cheap razors that needed sharpened! :)

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but i sharpen on the 1500 shapton pro until it starts to feel different. Sometimes it squeeks, sometimes it feels sticky, sometimes it just feels smoother...then i look at the bevel with a loupe, and check on my thumbnail. When i move up It has been mostly "sharpen until you feel the razor smooth out and sometimes it squeeks. I've only done 11 razors bevel to shave ready, so i'm no authority, but I've done them all within maybe a month. wish i had a good source for cheap razors that needed sharpened! :)
Makes sense to me.

I just spent maybe 40 minutes going back and forth between 4k and 8k last night. Then I reflattened my hones and did about 200 or so x strokes on the 8k. I finally got some hairs to grab and split. I absolutely noticed a difference when the blade was getting that sharp. More suction for sure and a different feel.

Shave test coming soon.

Do those duplicate 30, 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, .3, and .1 micron films?

I think they do in the right hands. Pressure and slurry concentration and all that. I have no issues with using film, I just happen to have the stones.

So how long does it take you to pass a HHT and at what grit ?

I think they do in the right hands. Pressure and slurry concentration and all that. I have no issues with using film, I just happen to have the stones.

So how long does it take you to pass a HHT and at what grit ?
I just go through each sheet and thumb test . That’s how I determine shave ready.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm with the poster who has a heck of a time figuring it out.

proxy.php

The thumb pad test works okay for me late in the honing progression and seems predictive to a degree of a razor's ability to shave. Off the Chosera 1K the test of slicing into the thumbnail and dragging the razor across the wet thumbnail to feel for smoothness and consistency throughout the edge works for me when combined with other feedback. Still, I have no sure way of knowing short of the shave.

Speaking of which, I'm such a newbie and lousy SR shaver that I'm not 100% sure what the shave is telling me. My chin and lips don't seem to get smooth with any edge - not mine, not those I've purchased honed by johnloc1, not those purchased from other vendor shave-ready, and not just any safety razor edge either.

However, I can sometimes smooth even my lower lip with the E-2 injector and a Schick Chick blade. l can most always get a much better shave with most any safety razor than with any of my SRs.

It's a newbie problem.

Hard makes it great..jpg

That's the problem with learning the SR.

I can't say I like it either. Watching all the videos and reading all the stuff and the practice I've done so far - having a grand total of fewer than 40 SR shaves and having honed only a handful of razors - has taught me a lot.

Mostly this...

yoda-zen-and-sr-jpg.927128

Brother, I feel your pain.

Apparently this is easier for some people than others, but that has nothing to do with the end game.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

The thumb pad test works okay for me late in the honing progression and seems predictive to a degree of a razor's ability to shave. Off the Chosera 1K the test of slicing into the thumbnail and dragging the razor across the wet thumbnail to feel for smoothness and consistency throughout the edge works for me when combined with other feedback. Still, I have no sure way of knowing short of the shave.

Speaking of which, I'm such a newbie and lousy SR shaver that I'm not 100% sure what the shave is telling me. My chin and lips don't seem to get smooth with any edge - not mine, not those I've purchased honed by johnloc1, not those purchased from other vendor shave-ready, and not just any safety razor edge either.

However, I can sometimes smooth even my lower lip with the E-2 injector and a Schick Chick blade. l can most always get a much better shave with most any safety razor than with any of my SRs.

It's a newbie problem.

View attachment 930406

I can't say I like it either. Watching all the videos and reading all the stuff and the practice I've done so far - having a grand total of fewer than 40 SR shaves and having honed only a handful of razors - has taught me a lot.

Mostly this...

Apparently this is easier for some people than others, but that has nothing to do with the end game.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Don't know if this will make sense, but when you strop you roll the jigs with your fingers. I use this same idea rolling the blade over my chin. Like a slow motion roll for three passes and some cleanup if needed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't know if this will make sense, but when you strop you roll the jigs with your fingers. I use this same idea rolling the blade over my chin. Like a slow motion roll for three passes and some cleanup if needed.

I think it makes sense.

I'm not just talking the bottom of my chin/top of my neck point/angle. My lip and chin whiskers are universally a problem, but some areas are more easily approached (with the SR) than others. I also would benefit form ATG but it doesn't seem to want to happen (the razor won't do it).

I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem (well, I have faith it's not).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shaved this morning and it was definitely okay. Much smoother than I've been getting. I took it back to the hone on the 12k and it's now passing the HHT. Yippee !!! LOL

I can't say it's silently popping off arm hair at 1/4 inch but it is tree topping.
I did a Dr Matt under the faucet hone to finish off and it's resting until later in the week.

It's a cheap GD so maybe the shoulder throws it off but it did take a couple of hours of work.
I have an old Wilbert of Chicago that is in pretty good shape already. I'll give that a try next.

proxy.php

It's a newbie problem.

View attachment 930406

Mostly this...

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't mind being a newbie. I'm enjoying the learning process.
It's funny you mention the chin. That's starting to become easier for me lately. But it's just a matter of me shaving over my face so many times I'm getting used to it. I don't try anything different intentionally.
Before I'd use the DE. LOL
The chin straight up scared me.

I think it makes sense.

I'm not just talking the bottom of my chin/top of my neck point/angle. My lip and chin whiskers are universally a problem, but some areas are more easily approached (with the SR) than others. I also would benefit form ATG but it doesn't seem to want to happen (the razor won't do it).

I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem (well, I have faith it's not).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Because of a childhood injury to below my bottom lip, the whisker stick straight out. I just use a Schick E Type for this area and to set the side burns. Professionals had several tools, why should I limit myself?

I'm finding that the best edges I get do not make up for what I'm lacking in shave technique. They said it's hard to learn to hone and shave with straights at the same time. The shave test has shot me down a few times. Usually it's a smoothness issue rather than sharp issue. I recently shaved with an edge I had worked through film. So sharp and smooth. Funny that I can't get exactly the same on natural Stone progression . I get close though. I think you just gotta keep at it. Good luck

Top Bottom