What is your favorite sharpness test?

• Treetopping

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • HHT

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
I'm finding that the best edges I get do not make up for what I'm lacking in shave technique. They said it's hard to learn to hone and shave with straights at the same time. The shave test has shot me down a few times. Usually it's a smoothness issue rather than sharp issue. I recently shaved with an edge I had worked through film. So sharp and smooth. Funny that I can't get exactly the same on natural Stone progression . I get close though. I think you just gotta keep at it. Good luck
You would need many stones to duplicate 7 sheets I would guess.

I'm finding that the best edges I get do not make up for what I'm lacking in shave technique. They said it's hard to learn to hone and shave with straights at the same time. The shave test has shot me down a few times. Usually it's a smoothness issue rather than sharp issue. I recently shaved with an edge I had worked through film. So sharp and smooth. Funny that I can't get exactly the same on natural Stone progression . I get close though. I think you just gotta keep at it. Good luck

It's true. You don't need a perfect or pretty edge to get a great shave, but with poor technique even perfect/pretty edges will not produce a desired effect.

I'm glad I started out using a shavette which prevented me from using sharpness as a reason why I was not getting a good shave.

Shaving with a SR is unlike any other shave I have experienced. It's truly a collaboration with the blade and user.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Because of a childhood injury to below my bottom lip, the whiskers stick straight out. I just use a Schick E Type for this area and to set the side burns. Professionals had several tools, why should I limit myself?

No reason to limit yourself unless you decide to go that route. In the end you're the only person whose input matters or whose decision counts, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's true. You don't need a perfect or pretty edge to get a great shave, but with poor technique even perfect/pretty edges will not produce a desired effect.

I'm glad I started out using a shavette which prevented me from using sharpness as a reason why I was not getting a good shave.

Shaving with a SR is unlike any other shave I have experienced. It's truly a collaboration with the blade and user.

I like the Proline blade in my AC razors, but in the Feather barber razor none of the blades I tried felt good to me. They shaved me okay, but the feel was not one I like. With the straight razor I saw right away what people were talking about when they say the SR knows the difference between skin and whiskers whereas the Feather barber razor doesn't.

It was purely a feeling and a comfort thing.

I could try the Feather SS again when I find it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No reason to limit yourself unless you decide to go that route. In the end you're the only person whose input matters or whose decision counts, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes. Back when I was searching for antique razors I would see the barber sets with a variety of tools for cutting different areas.

That said, if I was just shaving on the weekend and not having to dress for work, I just use a straight all the way.

I like the Proline blade in my AC razors, but in the Feather barber razor none of the blades I tried felt good to me. They shaved me okay, but the feel was not one I like. With the straight razor I saw right away what people were talking about when they say the SR knows the difference between skin and whiskers whereas the Feather barber razor doesn't.

It was purely a feeling and a comfort thing.

I could try the Feather SS again when I find it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It might help you understand if it's your technique. You and I are just learning and the more information we can have the better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It might help you understand if it's your technique. You and I are just learning and the more information we can have the better.

Exactly so. However, the SS edge shape is fundamentally different from a SR. The other Feather barber razor (is it called the DX?) doesn't have the SS's lip and is more like a SR. I have two Feather barber razors, the folding and non-folding, but both are the SS model.

Still, exactly so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Exactly so. However, the SS edge shape is fundamentally different from a SR. The other Feather barber razor (is it called the DX?) doesn't have the SS's lip and is more like a SR. I have two Feather barber razors, the folding and non-folding, but both are the SS model.

Still, exactly so.

Happy shaves,

Jim
When I got my Feather I thought the blades were bad because they didn't cut well. We bother know an Artist Club blade is wicked sharp.

Well I got my GD and my Wilbert both passing the HHT and I must say I like that test better because it's easier to reproduce. I can treetop pretty good but it's hard to see what's going on. I can't see not using both though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well I got my GD and my Wilbert both passing the HHT and I must say I like that test better because it's easier to reproduce. I can treetop pretty good but it's hard to see what's going on. I can't see not using both though.

Both is good. Better, in fact.

I think the only test that truly matters is the brick test. If your blade can cut a brick in half then it’s definitely sharp enough to shave. But not if you use milk as a lubricant, that’s cheating. It’s gonna tug and pull hairs during your shave if you trick yourself with milk.

Forearm hair? Bah, who has any remaining? I've only been SR shaving and honing a few months but now forearm hair is scarce commodity.

I think the HHT shares some principles with your treetop test. I noticed that my really sharp edges will lop off a hair at further held lengths on HHT test for ex. held at maybe 10mm, but nearly all my edges will cut the hair when held at say 5mm from the edge. Its a great indicator for me to know how sharp my edges are using the HHT by how far away I can hold my hair from the edge and cut it. I also dont have hairy arms, so its not like I have a choice lol. I think HHT is viable for anyone because not every has hairy enough arms, but anyone can find a single strand of hair, and will be able to calibrate for themselves what an acceptable shaving edge is for them, by the distance they can lop a strand off and by the ease at which it lops off. I wish I could try this arm hair test though. Not gorilla enough though.

Top Bottom