What's new

Is my Gillette Super Adjustable damaged?

Hello! I have this 1975 Super Adjustable that I got very cheap and in almost excellent condition, seems like it was never used
but there is something wrong, the blade gap is uneven on both sides.
Could it be the safety bars or what else?
20200203_222706.jpg
20200203_222728.jpg

20200203_225135.jpg
20200203_225145.jpg

Can I fix it?

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The T-bar is almost always the culprit when it looks like that. It needs to a perfect 90* and will easily get knocked out of square if dropped on its head (unlike the sturdy safety bars).

Yes it can be fixed. There are a few threads dealing with this issue.

Just don't stick a screwdriver in the slots of the baseplate and start tweaking.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Try to recreate the blow in reverse. Have the doors closed but not tight and I like to push up from underneath on the bottom of the center bar, and at the same time, down on the opposite (the high side) from the top. Sometimes I use a sawed off bamboo chopstick and tap up on the low side from underneath using a hammer. You need three hands ...

It takes a fair amount of force sometimes.

Lucky for you it looks like it got dropped after it was originally purchased and was put in the medicine cabinet. Plating looks just like my 1973 NOS Super 84.

I have fixed Slims but yours looks like a special case and was dropped hard. Definitely fixable, but might be a little tricky based on your pictures. I’d see if Cap can squeeze you in. He’ll make it good as new.

I think I fixed it. It looks even to me but my eyes could be deceiving me.
What do you think?

20200209_233612.jpg
20200209_233729.jpg

This is what it looked like before:

20200203_222728.jpg

Thank you guys for your help!

I'm no expert, in fact I'm very new to wet shaving, but I'd say that looks pretty even. What did you use to make the adjustments?
Hey thanks for stopping by! I just wrapped some cloth around a screwdriver and with the doors open I applied some force on the even side to make it as even as possible.

I've got one that has a bit of a lazy door thing going on. The bars on the side look pretty straight, though. Maybe off by a just a hair. I've been thinking about tinkering with it, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. The blade exposure and gap all look the same.

I've got one that has a bit of a lazy door thing going on. The bars on the side look pretty straight, though. Maybe off by a just a hair. I've been thinking about tinkering with it, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. The blade exposure and gap all look the same.
Search for "how to fix safety razor lazy doors" by Razor Emporium on YouTube

I actually watched those this weekend. I am waiting until I get my first order of decent blades in tomorrow before I try making any adjustments. I only had the ones that came with the Wal-Mart special I bought at first. Best I can tell, it just affects the opening of the doors in my case. Everyone else is lined up.

I actually watched those this weekend. I am waiting until I get my first order of decent blades in tomorrow before I try making any adjustments. I only had the ones that came with the Wal-Mart special I bought at first. Best I can tell, it just affects the opening of the doors in my case. Everyone else is lined up.
Which blades did you order?
Also, do they open fine or you feel you need to force them?

I got some Gillette Silver Blue, Astra Superior Platinum, and Voshkod. I'm not sure if it's my technique, my lather, or the van der hagen blades, but I always get some irritation on the second pass. I did notice a difference in the feel when I tried the blades in the vintage Gillette SS I got in the other day, but still got a little irritation the second time.

I don't feel like I'm having to use extra force to open or close the doors. I do need to get some mineral oil, though. I can tell it feels a little dry.
Which blades did you order?
Also, do they open fine or you feel you need to force them?

I got some Gillette Silver Blue, Astra Superior Platinum, and Voshkod. I'm not sure if it's my technique, my lather, or the van der hagen blades, but I always get some irritation on the second pass. I did notice a difference in the feel when I tried the blades in the vintage Gillette SS I got in the other day, but still got a little irritation the second time.

I don't feel like I'm having to use extra force to open or close the doors. I do need to get some mineral oil, though. I can tell it feels a little dry.
I use a Rocket and I don't get irritation from the second past. The Rocket and the SS are very mild razors, so It could be the blades or the lather.
Make sure you always wet your face with warm water and then apply the cream/soap with a brush. Don't shave zones that don't have any cream on it or you'll get irritation. And remember, very little pressure.

Top Bottom