What's new

Is less better?

What is your goal?

• Get a big selection of software and hardware

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Get a small selection of software and hardware that you'll use for the rest of your life

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I stuck with one DE razor and one blade brand for 20+ years. I did diversify a little with razor and blades after that, and recently diversified a little in soaps. I've had enough of exploring now though.

I have 4 DE razors, plus a few other traditional types including a couple of straights, and have also found 6 or 7 DE blade brands that I really like.

Soap wise, once I've cleared the ones I've accumulated that won't be replaced, I'll be sticking with using one puck, one shavestick, and then maybe trying the occasional sample if I fancy a change. I use one boar brush at home, and have a synthetic for travel.

I really don't want any more than that. Shaving is simple. Why overcomplicate it?

Variety = inconsistency. I'd rather know I'm going to get a great shave every time.

I have almost 20 soaps and about 6 aftershaves, four brushes, and 3 razors that I regularly use. I may get one or two more razors, but I think I am getting to the point where I have enough. I really like the resident I have and I get great shaves.Though I do like checking it razors and soaps, so it's entirely possible my collection will continue to expand desire the fact that I don't feel like I need anything.
I stuck with one DE razor and one blade brand for 20+ years. I did diversify a little with razor and blades after that, and recently diversified a little in soaps. I've had enough of exploring now though.

I have 4 DE razors, plus a few other traditional types including a couple of straights, and have also found 6 or 7 DE blade brands that I really like.

Soap wise, once I've cleared the ones I've accumulated that won't be replaced, I'll be sticking with using one puck, one shavestick, and then maybe trying the occasional sample if I fancy a change. I use one boar brush at home, and have a synthetic for travel.

I really don't want any more than that. Shaving is simple. Why overcomplicate it?

Variety = inconsistency. I'd rather know I'm going to get a great shave every time.
I agree with you, I like getting consistently good shaves, maybe every now and then get something new just to break up the monotony.

Right now I look forward to my morning shave and I don't want it to become routine and boring again. The only way to avoid that is to change things up.

Right now I look forward to my morning shave and I don't want it to become routine and boring again. The only way to avoid that is to change things up.
I guess you are right, but I at least am a creature of habbit, I don't like mixing things up a lot.

I go through stages: sometimes accumulation phase, other times trying to cull the head!

The main thing is to enjoy the experience!! :a14::a14:

Well, I got (and made) some brushes and have a pile of razors and far too many blades and soaps, then discovered that I like my own home-made shaving soap better than any of the commercial ones I tried, I can shave nearly forever on a blade (average is up to 58.5 shaves per blade at the moment, and will climb), and I never use those brushes.

Looks like it's going to be pretty much my cheapo "AAA pure badger" brush, a FatBoy, a few different blades, and home-made soap from now on out.

I've also found that I don't need much soap for a two pass shave, so I'll only need to make soap every three or four years, too.

This basically how I feel. I sort of got burned out on samples a trying to get them dialed in. So I settled on two brands that gave me a lot of variations on scents but maintain lather and shave quality.

I have 3 different razors I use and am happy with those.

Blades I have settled on a base line blade, but I still try others.

I use a Stirling boar and a Big Bruce for brushes. Might add a silvertip, but I really like what I have so there is no pressing need.

So I am approaching contentment which is nice after a flurry of buying which is nice.

Over 45 years of shaving, of the three razors i've owned bought the last in 2014 and it's the only one i've used since. Own three brushes but most of the time i use the synthetic, Big Bruce. Get zero joy from scented products so only have a couple Proraso soaps from the local pharmacy, the scents of those barely registers after a short period of time so i manage fine. My one extravagance is 3P aftershave balm which i have to order online, i'm just about out & when i order more i'll pad the order with some non-scented soaps i've tried as well as a couple i haven't, enough to get free shipping.

Blades, i have six or seven left but two are Polsilvers and i managed 100 three pass shaves with the last one i used, no rush to buy more blades...

Keeping it simple because, it is simple.
dave

Looking at the results of the poll my conclusion is either the people who have tons of stuff is not checking this thread or there are a bunch of liars on here. Lol. I've seen people post pics of their shave den.

Looking at the results of the poll my conclusion is either the people who have tons of stuff is not checking this thread or there are a bunch of liars on here. Lol. I've seen people post pics of their shave den.
Probably the first, lying on a random pole on the internet is not gonna get you anywhere...I posted the pole just to get an idea, if there's a big or small number sharing some of my opinions and ideas :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

The third option is that most people just don't have a goal. Judging by the majority of posts by the big shoppers, buying enough shaving gear for a small town, wasn't actually a planned event.

I have no more razors now than when I signed up here. That was intentional. I have a heck of a lot more blades now. That was intentional too. Ending up with two years worth of soap that won't be replaced was not intentional, but half that amount was a gift from a family member, so I don't feel too guilty. However, I am blessed with an ability to read about something, without having to buy it :D

The third option is that most people just don't have a goal. Judging by the majority of posts by the big shoppers, buying enough shaving gear for a small town, wasn't actually a planned event.

I have no more razors now than when I signed up here. That was intentional. I have a heck of a lot more blades now. That was intentional too. Ending up with two years worth of soap that won't be replaced was not intentional, but half that amount was a gift from a family member, so I don't feel too guilty. However, I am blessed with an ability to read about something, without having to buy it :D

Yes, neither a goal or strategy which results in hundreds of razors and soaps. My strategy was to experience and connect with the past, which requires more than a few samples of DE, SE, and straights since there are varieties of each type. I am not planning on den clearing.

With soaps it was different. I studied the ingredients I needed. Until recently VDH was then only soap I used, the one with glycerin. Then a friend sent some Palmolive tube soap. This type is enough to change my preference for puck type. He is also sending me a care package of other soap types that he no longer uses.

With brushes, I got an Atomic Rocket to start and later a boar to experience. Then I wanted to experience badger and the small Omega 11047 mixed was the least expensive. All in all, good experiences and different.

Top Bottom