What's new

Is less better?

What is your goal?

• Get a big selection of software and hardware

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Get a small selection of software and hardware that you'll use for the rest of your life

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
The third option is that most people just don't have a goal. Judging by the majority of posts by the big shoppers, buying enough shaving gear for a small town, wasn't actually a planned event...

Perhaps, but I'd wager most were throwing money at other endeavors before as well.

Personally i don’t see much of a reason to have more things than you can use. If you enjoy using a different razor/soap/aftershave everyday you should buy enough to satisfy that want. The problems come in when you buy things that sit forever. That’s the definition of the AD’s. More than you’ll use. So if you have simple routine stay simple. If you like variety buy until you get enough to keep you constantly engaged. But if you finding yourself having more product than you can enjoy, stop.

For me, it's more about technique than technology. How well can I shave with whatever happens to be in my hand at the time? There are plenty of demos to be seen -- made to demonstrate prowess in sharpening, mainly-- of men shaving with an axe, or a soup spoon, or some such. Before I can make meaningful comparisons, I must develop a baseline of skill/expertise/experience -- a yardstick against which to measure the new things, and for me that's easier starting with less. I have a razor that does what it's supposed to do: hold the blade securely, offering a safe and comfortable hold in the hand. I have found a brand of blade that is unquestionably sound. What kind of shave I get from them is up to me. Working on that is where my pleasure in this sport comes from.

For me, sure, less is better, but my goal has never been to acquire a bunch of stuff, I just want great shaves. I want to acquire what I need; anything more than that is just clutter. YMMV.

I don't "want" a big collection of software and hardware - it just happens! I'm trying to thin out, and have PIF'd several razors and some software. Also sold a few razors to finance a new one - the Karve. I think I'm just looking for that setup that really works for me. Comfort, less to no irritation and of course it must be a pleasure to use.

I have some stuff; not like a lot of you guys, but a bunch for a noob.

Buddy has been doing this for a long time and hooked me up with a lot just so I could get an idea of what I liked; I’ve made some purchases based on his input as well.

I have two razors I use regularly, and a stack of soaps made by manufacturers whose bases/scents I really enjoy. I’ll make more purchases based on that criteria and not feel bad about it.

It’s soap and aftershave, buying a set or two a month isn’t going to break me or my family, and I feel good helping to support the artisans that bring me this much joy concerning a necessary chore that I used to straight up hate.

I've acquired to learn what I like. I've accumulated quite a few razors, brushes, soaps, & other accessories along the way. I'm now in the stage where I'm about to pare down my den. I've found my razors, I'm dialing in my brushes, & I've found a soap maker I like.

But the accumulating & trying out is the only way to learn what you like & why you like it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have some stuff; not like a lot of you guys, but a bunch for a noob.

Buddy has been doing this for a long time and hooked me up with a lot just so I could get an idea of what I liked; I’ve made some purchases based on his input as well.

I have two razors I use regularly, and a stack of soaps made by manufacturers whose bases/scents I really enjoy. I’ll make more purchases based on that criteria and not feel bad about it.

It’s soap and aftershave, buying a set or two a month isn’t going to break me or my family, and I feel good helping to support the artisans that bring me this much joy concerning a necessary chore that I used to straight up hate.
+1

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I've acquired to learn what I like. I've accumulated quite a few razors, brushes, soaps, & other accessories along the way. I'm now in the stage where I'm about to pare down my den. I've found my razors, I'm dialing in my brushes, & I've found a soap maker I like.

But the accumulating & trying out is the only way to learn what you like & why you like it.
+1

I was content with two razors and brushless shave cream until I found Barber and Blade. Now I've got 60 soaps, 70 razors, loads of aftershave and more. I blame BnB, but I'm happy with where I am with shaving

I think having a smaller selection of things you love is the way to go.

However, I think you have to go through an experimentation phase and try different things. I feel I'm coming out of the experimentation and will only re-buy what I love. Out of about 40 soaps, Tabac is the only re-buy thus far, B&M Cool will be too, but the re-buy list is likely 5 out of the 40. I would like to get down to 4-5 of what I love then rotate 2-3 fun ones.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever makes you happy. Favorites make me happy. Early on I tried just about everything. In the natural selection process I eliminated some very good products that just didn't please me as much as others. I found that I rarely used a product that was not one of my favorites (I actually had to "force" myself to use the "lesser" item).

Eventually it just seemed silly to fill the den with things I really didn't want to use. Now I use one razor, two soaps and (most days) one of 3 brushes.

Some people don't have favorites. They rotate 20 razors. That's fine, too. YMMV.

The internet is a double edged sword. We can learn about and gain access to just about anything these days, but this can lead to excess if we are not careful.

You can get a head start by watching videos and reading fora like B&B, but you will still have to find out for yourself what really works for you.

I try things and sell them if they don't work out for me. I have about 15 razors now, and plenty enough soaps and blades to last for a lifetime.

Enjoy the process and the acquisition of knowledge in and of itself!

I started with one razor, one soap, one brush, and one after shave. None of these items are currently used. I then began accumulating vintage razors, new brushes and a few soaps. I never had more than a dozen razors but currently use only one for 90% of the time I’m not traveling (Timeless Titanium 0.68). I use five brushes rotating daily. My preference is for soft tip badgers with backbone. The brushes add some variety and also consistency because I use them in rotation and when all five have been used, I switch to a new soap. Aftershaves vary but I now mostly use my two favorites (Floid Vigoroso and Fine American Blend) but occasionally switch.

The lesson that I have learned with soaps is that performance is more important than scent for me. B&M Seville was a soap that I so wanted to like because of its scent but never performed well for me and now that the puck was finished will not be purchased again. Old standbys like MWF, Haslinger, and Tabac work well for me and will continue to be purchased. While I liked Cella, after just finishing the tub, I have purchased Vito’s as a similar style but different soap. I am now of the mind that a new soap will get 10 to 20 chances but no more if I’m not satisfied.

Blades are another rabbit hole and I currently have a multi-year supply with Nacets and GSBs on the top of my list, but not unhappy with any of the St. Petersburg blades.

Truly YMMV, but have fun exploring and possibly but not necessarily settling down to a very few items.

Top Bottom