What's new

Is less better?

What is your goal?

• Get a big selection of software and hardware

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Get a small selection of software and hardware that you'll use for the rest of your life

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
Hello,

When I first started wetshaving, I was fascinated by the variety of scents of aftershaves and soaps, the great selection of razors and brushes...I wanted them all! That was three months ago. As I continued shaving a different idea started forming in my head:"I know I'm not gonna get all I want, maybe I should focus on something else...". And I did.

At the beginning, I wanted volume, now I want comfort. Instead of starting a quest to get everything I see and like, I'm focusing on finding the one razor I would love to use for my whole life, the one brush I would be comfortable with, maybe 3 sets of soaps/aftershave (to break the monotony)...you get the idea.

I've seen people (mostly on YouTube) that have all these brushes and razors and software, and I wanted to be like them. I think that's what we call "The Rabbithole". Maybe it's way too soon to know if I'm gonna fall down that hole. I will probably keep expanding my collection of software every now and then but nothing major.

I think I like this somewhat minimalistic mentality. Some time less is better, for me at least.
I'd love to know what's your opinion on the subject, and I'm sure people have brough it up in the past.

My ultimate goal:
Razor: Timor G&F 1321
Brush: Haven't found it yet
Soaps/Aftershaves:
Razorock Blue Barbershop
Cella
Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore
Tabac
Blades: Derby Premium

-Cheers :)

When I first started shaving years ago I kept it simple. I had one brush, one soap, and one cream. I did have a few razors, however, Then I joined B&B and my supplies multiplied. I had numerous razors, brushes, creams, soaps, etc. In the past few years, I have started to downsize a bit. I have sold or PIFed some razors. However, I still have over 30 brushes.

My collection of everything wet shaving is a living thing that breathes like all things that live. Sometimes it inhales and I have plenty. Other times it exhales.

I think most people go through the ups and downs of wet shaving. First, I started off thinking that one razor/soap/balm would be enough. Then, once I joined forums, my eyes opened up to millions of products.

Months later, my den was filling up more quickly than I can imagine. More soaps/razors/brushes every week.

Now, I have a good idea of what I like. 7-10 items that I rotate through. I do not like complex scents so I stick to simple notes for soaps. I like all kinds of brushes so I have 10-12 that I rotate through.

I'm mostly satisfied with what I have but I don't mind trying out couple new stuff. My rotation is pretty set but I'll make changes here and there. Currently, I'm trying out couple bakelite razors for the fun of it.

I am hoping to just get a nice rotation with just a few items. Use up one soap or AS, before buying a new one. Wish me luck.

I struggled with ingrown hairs and irritation for the entirety of my cartridge/electric shaving career. When I started DE/wet shaving, I had one goal: achieve clear skin. I went through a manic acquisition phase before I joined B&B and destroyed my face in the process. I have since settled on 1 razor, 2 blades (Blade A gets 95%+ of my shaves), 2 brands of soap (but 3 flavors each), 1 cream (for the gym), and two brushes (one for home, one for the gym). My shaves and complexion are finally excellent. Aside from the occasional flirtation with my maiden brush, the Proraso Omega Boar, I have no interest in deviating from my modest set-up.

The fellowship of this group lifted me from my pit of despair, and I have since modified my singular goal: maintain clear skin.

Software is being pared down as of this point. I like the tobacco scents and Rose/Lavender too. So, those will be what continues to be restocked as needed. All else will be traded, used, or otherwise disposed of before year's end.

Blades will take a bit longer to narrow down, but it will be . . . to three types, as I have three different razors that I use (and a Wolfman will make four, should I hit the lotto) and want to have some choice for each.

Razors, as noted, will be three or four at most.

Eventually, this will all winnow down to one of each as I get older and grumpier.

You left out one possible answer:

Have gotten a large amount of hardware and software, but now am satiated and pretty much immune to more.

You fell down the rabbithole when you bought your first kit. It's a slippery slope after that, wetshaving is cheaper they said... But to answer your question, I just want to buy a premium adjustable razor (Rockwell 6S) and then just experiment with soaps. Heck there are so many nice scents out there why limit yourself to 3. Find the perfect razor and play around with different scents. Inevitably you will have to try plenty of razors to get the ONE, or just get an adjustable, it virtually has every setting you will ever need...virtually.

I have almost 20 soaps and about 6 aftershaves, four brushes, and 3 razors that I regularly use. I may get one or two more razors, but I think I am getting to the point where I have enough. I really like the resident I have and I get great shaves.Though I do like checking it razors and soaps, so it's entirely possible my collection will continue to expand desire the fact that I don't feel like I need anything.

You fell down the rabbithole when you bought your first kit. It's a slippery slope after that, wetshaving is cheaper they said... But to answer your question, I just want to buy a premium adjustable razor (Rockwell 6S) and then just experiment with soaps. Heck there are so many nice scents out there why limit yourself to 3. Find the perfect razor and play around with different scents. Inevitably you will have to try plenty of razors to get the ONE, or just get an adjustable, it virtually has every setting you will ever need...virtually.

I tried several DE razors and straight razors. Believe or not I settled with a EJ D89.
Now what I enjoy is trying out new scents in soaps and aftershaves. I find that more enjoyable. Add to that the fact that many online stores sell samples packs. So for less than $20 you can try a lot of stuff.

First of all, i think i have found my perfect razor, it's the timor butterfly. Second of all, i said im not going crazy with buying new stuff like soaps, afters and harware. Occasionally I will add some new stuff just so I don't get bored, but not much. Not a whole arsenal of razors and brushes etc.. That's too much for me.
But this is the fun of this whole hobby you know, some people like simple scents, only a few soaps/afters and others like to collect a lot of those things, experiement with new stuff almost every day, but in the end we all share this hobby, the experience of wet shaving and I wouldn't change that for anything...(ok maybe I could trade it for world peace or smth like that...)

There are just so many things to try, that is the problem. I just have to get through this phase and I will probably move on to something else for a while.

Top Bottom