Is it safe to use old, old aftershaves?

Discussion in 'Aftershaves' started by kingfisher, Mar 13, 2019.

Hey, just a question for you aftershave afficionados. I found an old Avon aftershave in a fancy bottle (looks like a dark blue car) at an antique store. I bought it for display, because I love the look of the car. But then I got to thinking.......is it safe to use? It smells pretty good. The bottle is almost completely full. I don't know when these were released, but I'm thinking maybe the 1970s?

So, what say you? Is it safe to give it a go?

1. emwolf

emwolf Contributor

I use a lot of 1970s and earlier aftershaves and colognes. The amount of alcohol in them is a pretty good preservative. I too trawl the aisles of antique and second hand stores for Avon bottles that still have juice left.

2. I wondered the same thing when I bought my first Avon vintage.. since then I've collected nearly a dozen different scents and I use them all. Splash away!!

3. Vintage cologne is a popular item for sale on Ebay.

4. I've used fragrances from the 1930s without issue.

5. malocchio

malocchio Contributor

As long as the scent is still pleasing , and not "off ", you'll be fine..The off scent old stuff is harmless, it just smells funny.

6. Why not??

I prefer many ‘vintage’ scents to the current production (especially Old Spice)!! :a14::a14:

7. Just used Vintage Brut Faberge today! :)

8. ackvil

ackvil Moderator

As others have said, vintage is good. My aunt and uncle would give me Old Spice AS and talc every Christmas starting when I was 18 years old. I found a bottle that dates back at least 30 years when I moved to AZ from FL four years ago. It was never opened and was just fine when I used it.

9. No. Not safe. Send them to me for proper disposal :)

They are fine to use as long as they smell OK, and probably OK if they don't smell OK, but why would you?

10. I have a vintage bottle of English Leather that I would not use. The question is when did it go bad? I would say that it was bad to start with.

11. Bhugo

Bhugo Contributor

Ha, I just went through my vintage English Leather Cologne and aftershave collection last night! One of my wife’s favorites when I wear it.