What's new

Is it safe to buy blades from Amazon ?

I like Astra SP and am ready to stock up on them, they seem like a great value and I know I can get a comfortable close shave with them. So even if I gravitate to other blades, I would like to build a small stash - I've been burned in the past when the product I had been using for years suddenly got changed, or discontinued, and Astra SP seems like a solid backup blade for all occasion.

That said, how safe is it to buy them on Amazon ? I know that there's a problem with counterfeit cartridges, what about DE blades ?

This is the posting I've been eyeing

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Platinum-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3R0SLVACAXCKP&keywords=astra+superior+platinum&qid=1553797864&s=gateway&sprefix=astra+superior+pla,aps,296&sr=8-3&th=1

I have bought hundred of blades from the local Amazon, never had a problem. I always pick items sent by Amazon, just in case, because Amazon's replacement policy is very good.

I have bought from Amazon Canada and have been pleased. I often buy from Razor Blades Club and have been very pleased with their selection, price and service. Do some comparison shopping.

I've bought blades from Amazon and Ebay several times without any issues. These seem to be the cheapest places I've found blades so far.

Do read the reviews and all of that but keep in mind that people who don't know how to shave properly will blame the blade. I do have to wonder if the whole counterfeit blade thing is actually real as I have yet to experience any fake blades myself. I mean if you're going to counterfeit something why would you choose something that is difficult to make and yet sells for so little.

I've bought blades from Amazon and Ebay several times without any issues. These seem to be the cheapest places I've found blades so far.

Do read the reviews and all of that but keep in mind that people who don't know how to shave properly will blame the blade. I do have to wonder if the whole counterfeit blade thing is actually real as I have yet to experience any fake blades myself. I mean if you're going to counterfeit something why would you choose something that is difficult to make and yet sells for so little.

Counterfeit cartridges are very real.

Counterfeiting DE blades doesn't necessarily involve making them. There's got to be huge batches of stainless steel blades that were rejected by QC, improperly sharpened, improperly treated, or made by a no-name manufacturer that doesn't have acceptable technological processes. I think that properly sharpening and coating blades is a significant part of production costs, stamping them out of passable grade steel by millions is the most efficient (cheap) part of the process. So if you can get these rejected / no-name blades for pennies on a dollar, stamp them with brand name logo, put them in a brand name cardboard box, and charge brand name premium, you're going to see very nice margins, even if per-blade price for brand name blades is pennies.

As to the reviews - given that I already had a chance to form an opinion on these blades, I don't care about Amazon reviews as long as I am getting the product I paid for. $9 is going to give me about a year worth of shaving.. not a huge expense.

It's nice to see that no one had problems buying from that link. My blades get here tomorrow. Looking forward to the sharp and smooth shave.

Top Bottom