What's new

Is it ok to keep the blade inside your DE after shaving?

The manufacturers do hone and polish their edges. However, the final steps involve applying some type of coating to the blade. This coating makes the blade smoother, which is an advantage. However, the coating also makes the apex of the blade thicker and somewhat rounded, thus reducing sharpness. The thicker the coating, the smoother and less sharp the edge will be. As you use the blade, the coating starts to wear off exposing the apex in its naked glory. Thus, it becomes less smooth, but sharper.

The Personna Comfort Coated lab blues seem to have a particularly thick coating as implied by the blade description. With those blades, the change to smoothness and sharpness during use is quite noticeable. The Lab Blue blades tug at my beard badly during the 1st shave, but by the second are cutting smoothly.

Your theory predicts the blade will feel smoother with subsequent shaves. With Feather blades, I find the exact opposite. Although they are still sharp on the third shave, the edge becomes so rough on my sensitive skin that I have to change the blade.

Anyone who uses blades "one and done" may not ever detect the change in the blade during their shave, although the improvement in sharpness that occurs during the shave may help with the ATG pass near the end of the shave.

Looks like on the empirical blade tests (which were actually impressive), most blades did increase in sharpness after the first shave. With the exception of the Feather, which actually decreased. And most blades decreased in sharpness after the third shave, but were still sharper than a new blade, again, except for the Feather. So the coating theory just might be right! Alternatively, there may be sort of polishing of the edge occurring with the shave itself, until diminishing returns kicks in. I have several vintage Japanese katanas, and the edge is formed not by "sharpening" but by finer and finer polishing stones, the last no bigger than grain of rice. This could produce an edge geometry of 10 degrees, not far from a straight razor's 7-8 degrees (compared to a sharp kitchen knife at 20). Some strange physics going on....

Leave it in and rinse properly after each use.
Remove it when blade becomes dull and that's about the time I perform cleanup with scrubbing bubbles and toothbrush.

Looks like on the empirical blade tests (which were actually impressive), most blades did increase in sharpness after the first shave. With the exception of the Feather, which actually decreased. And most blades decreased in sharpness after the third shave, but were still sharper than a new blade, again, except for the Feather. So the coating theory just might be right! Alternatively, there may be sort of polishing of the edge occurring with the shave itself, until diminishing returns kicks in. I have several vintage Japanese katanas, and the edge is formed not by "sharpening" but by finer and finer polishing stones, the last no bigger than grain of rice. This could produce an edge geometry of 10 degrees, not far from a straight razor's 7-8 degrees (compared to a sharp kitchen knife at 20). Some strange physics going on....

The procedure used to sharpen katanas is not unlike the process used to sharpen straight razors. You start something around a 1K stone and progress to every finer stones in the 10K to 20K range. Then some polish the blade using sub-micron abrasives in the 20K - 100K range (0.5 - 0.1 micron). Unlike modern DE razors, straight razors do not use coatings to improve smoothness, so you have to achieve smoothness by stropping.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I do both, leave and take out blades.
My Schick injectors I leave the blades in. Schick injectors also have the Hydro-magic feature on some models and I use it. I always blow my injectors off and put in my wooden rack to dry.
My DE and some SE blades come out and are rinsed tap dried and placed in a magnetic holder because that blade is going into other razors the next day because of my large razor rotation.(I doubt I will change this habit)

no empirical evidence for any of this - all subjective.

This guy provides solid evidence that some blades get sharper in the 2nd shave. Why is debatable. That they do is a fact.

He explains the methodology and it's amazing for something that's just up on the Internet. I believe it would hold up to scrutiny for a peer reviewed scientific publication.

He also shows that this doesn't apply to Feather Blades. They start out second to none in sharpness, but it deteriorates rapidly. Already in the second shave they are less sharp than Nacet. If you want to enjoy the benefit of Feather blades, you are right, you better ditch them after the first shave!

This guy provides solid evidence that some blades get sharper in the 2nd shave. Why is debatable. That they do is a fact.

He explains the methodology and it's amazing for something that's just up on the Internet. I believe it would hold up to scrutiny for a peer reviewed scientific publication.

He also shows that this doesn't apply to Feather Blades. They start out second to none in sharpness, but it deteriorates rapidly. Already in the second shave they are less sharp than Nacet. If you want to enjoy the benefit of Feather blades, you are right, you better ditch them after the first shave!

Yep. Posted previously - post #57. It was an interesting study, very well done. Maybe supports the idea that coatings affect sharpness, and wear off with use exposing the blade, or some sort of "shave polishing" is happening....

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I disassemble and clean/dry my three piece razors after every shave. I rinse the blade under water, shake off the excess water and stand it in a shot glass or small dixie cup to dry. Reassemble when it's time for next shave. Just seems more hygienic to me this way.

I rinse my blades wiping the soap off of each side ,with the cutting edge of course, allow them to air dry on a dry cloth and then place them with tweezers in their sequence on the appropriate magnet. The cutting edge is never touched and I am careful to avoid doing anything to dull the edge. I love having multiple options to choose from.

The razors on the topside are new unused blades waiting for their procession in the process.

Blades.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I rinse my blades wiping the soap off of each side ,with the cutting edge of course, allow them to air dry on a dry cloth and then place them with tweezers in their sequence on the appropriate magnet. The cutting edge is never touched and I am careful to avoid doing anything to dull the edge. I love having multiple options to choose from.

The razors on the topside are new unused blades waiting for their procession in the process.

View attachment 1120499
Yeah, this would have my bride calling the divorce lawyer.

But it's a lot SAFER doing this, than my non-method!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
With a 3 piece I take them apart, rinse everything and pat dry with a towel. Put it back together loosely and let air dry up in the razor rack until the next mornings shave. With a TTO I take the blade out rinse everything, towel dry and place it in the razor rack with the doors open and the blade in it to air dry. I don’t use alcohol and I only use the Australian equivalent to Scrubbing Bubbles when I receive a used razor in the mail.

I rinse the razor head thoroughly and give it a good few shakes and that’s it. I’ve been shaving with a DE for 10 years and it’s never been a problem.

View attachment 1120499
I am guessing you don't share the bathroom with other humans?

The only caveat I would place on his testing is that he shaves his face and head with the blade. So if you only shave your face it's possible that you will get two shaves out of a blade before you get to the sharpness increase/decrease he sees on his second shave. It's a great starting point though.

I keep a DE I use for chest/stomach shaving IN the shower with loaded blade...no issiues really. I wouldn't do that for face DE though :) but I do keep a blade in after shaving, I just shake the water out and also never had problems

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1120499
Instead of hanging out the cloths you are just hanging out the razor blades= interesting system to count also :thumbsup: :001_smile

The only caveat I would place on his testing is that he shaves his face and head with the blade. So if you only shave your face it's possible that you will get two shaves out of a blade before you get to the sharpness increase/decrease he sees on his second shave. It's a great starting point though.

That is why I said in my earlier post that some blades do not achieve their maximum potential until the second or third shave. I also depends on whether you do a one pass shave or a four pass shave like I do.

Top Bottom