What's new

Is it ok to keep the blade inside your DE after shaving?

To answer the original question, yes, it is OK to leave the blade in the razor. That is what people, like me, who learned to shave before the advent of cartridge razors did. You make sure the razor and blade are tight, you lather, you shave, you rinse the razor and blade and you put it away. There is far too much fuss about handling razors and blades out there.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

I stopped leaving blades in my razor after the blade left some oxide stains on the bottom plate. Now I clean and remove the blade after every use and clean and dry the razor.

Were you using a stainless blade or a carbon steel blade?

How long was the blade in the razor before you observed the staining?

To each his/her own. I solve the problem by using a brand new blade for each shave. Just me. I cared enough about my razors to buy them, I care enough about them to give them the best maintenance possible to keep them new. I do the same for all of my equipment - my stainless P220 for example. I clean the barrel, I don't put it in the holster wet. I probably could, with some staining and rust - probably minimal and wouldn't affect function in the slightest. But I don't like a dirty gun or a rusty gun, or a dirty razor or a rusty razor. And I try to minimize the chances for same. Just me. YMMV.

To each his/her own. I solve the problem by using a brand new blade for each shave. Just me. I cared enough about my razors to buy them, I care enough about them to give them the best maintenance possible to keep them new. I do the same for all of my equipment - my stainless P220 for example. I clean the barrel, I don't put it in the holster wet. I probably could, with some staining and rust - probably minimal and wouldn't affect function in the slightest. But I don't like a dirty gun or a rusty gun, or a dirty razor or a rusty razor. And I try to minimize the chances for same. Just me. YMMV.

If you are using Feather blades, using a new blade for each shave it great. However, many blades do not begin to reach their full potential until the second or third shave. With those blades, you never experience the best they have to offer if you change them out every shave.

If you are using Feather blades, using a new blade for each shave it great. However, many blades do not begin to reach their full potential until the second or third shave. With those blades, you never experience the best they have to offer if you change them out every shave.

Haven't found that to be the case for me - I've just never found that a razor blade gets sharper with use. I've heard various theories proposed that the edge coating wears and exposes the blade, that micro-edge hardening happens, or that microscopic irregularities "smooth out," but no empirical evidence for any of this - all subjective. Many do describe a better shave with a used blade and arguably a duller blade feels better. I'm not sure you could make a successful argument that a duller blade cuts better - the thinnest, keenest edge it will ever have for the user is fresh out of the wrapper. So - for me - a new blade goes in the razor every shave. A minimal expense compared to any other wet shaving costs, and I have enough blades to last the rest of my life shaving daily - probably more, and if I saved .10 a shave every day by reusing, that would still be less than $40 annually - a puck or two of soap. So I don't worry about razor damage, or how many shaves I have left, or pulling hair with a too-used blade, or handling a bare blade more than once. But that's just me. Some other shavers do the same - it's a wonderful world of variety in the wet shaving Universe, and room enough for all! :001_smile

I keep it inside after rinsing,and never had any problems for 4,5 shaves.Maybe after the month sitting in humid environment itll micro corode or whatever.These blades are cheap,so its better not to risk crappy shave.3-5 shaves anyways and is out.

I've been using safety razor for 4 years now and my routine after shaving is to clean my razor and remove the blade...
I've been using a safety razor for more than 30 years, if that is relevant in any way, which I think it isn't. I always clean my razor after I remove the blade. Every day.
...I place the blade inside the paper.
After rinsing and drying, I place the blade on the face cloth or TP sheet, uncovered. It stays there patiently waiting for the next day use. It does that for 4 or 5 days, then it asks to be retired. That's when a new blade volunteers and starts its duties. This cycle has been my routine for a very long time.
...Can the blade get dull more quickly if keeping inside the razor or not?
In my opinion, a blade would not become dull quicker if kept inside the razor. Not in a significant way that would have a major impact on our shaves. I have never read a study regarding this, and my opinion is just that, my opinion. It does reflect my background and education.

My Tech sits with the head off of the handle in between shaves. It keeps the blade flat with no tension on it.

After the shave, I disassemble the Tech, handle carefully the blade by its ends while I blow off the excess water from it my mouth, while still holding the blade in one hand dab dry the cap and base plate on a towel, then place the blade back into the razor head assembly but not screw the handle back on, ready for next use.

The blade cutting surfaces never get physically touched the entire duration of use, other than when it is contact with my face. I have found this to help the blade retain its sharpness for the maximum length of time and uses.

Haven't found that to be the case for me - I've just never found that a razor blade gets sharper with use. I've heard various theories proposed that the edge coating wears and exposes the blade, that micro-edge hardening happens, or that microscopic irregularities "smooth out," but no empirical evidence for any of this - all subjective. Many do describe a better shave with a used blade and arguably a duller blade feels better. I'm not sure you could make a successful argument that a duller blade cuts better - the thinnest, keenest edge it will ever have for the user is fresh out of the wrapper. So - for me - a new blade goes in the razor every shave. A minimal expense compared to any other wet shaving costs, and I have enough blades to last the rest of my life shaving daily - probably more, and if I saved .10 a shave every day by reusing, that would still be less than $40 annually - a puck or two of soap. So I don't worry about razor damage, or how many shaves I have left, or pulling hair with a too-used blade, or handling a bare blade more than once. But that's just me. Some other shavers do the same - it's a wonderful world of variety in the wet shaving Universe, and room enough for all! :001_smile

I have a tough beard. I find that many blades get sharper as their coating wears of.

BIC Chrome Platinum are very sharp out of the wrapper, but become super sharp by the second shave.
7 O'Clock Platinum black are similar, sharp out of the wrapper and super sharp on the second shave.
Personna lab blues with their comfort coating tug like crazy on the first shave, but become quite sharp once the coating starts to wear off.
Wilkinson Sword Classic made in Germany are mid sharp on the first shave and then become super sharp.

Then there are other blades that are fairly consistent from the 1st shave to the next.

However, that is my experience with a tough beard. Your experience may well be different.

I have a tough beard. I find that many blades get sharper as their coating wears of.

BIC Chrome Platinum are very sharp out of the wrapper, but become super sharp by the second shave.
7 O'Clock Platinum black are similar, sharp out of the wrapper and super sharp on the second shave.
Personna lab blues with their comfort coating tug like crazy on the first shave, but become quite sharp once the coating starts to wear off.
Wilkinson Sword Classic made in Germany are mid sharp on the first shave and then become super sharp.

Then there are other blades that are fairly consistent from the 1st shave to the next.

However, that is my experience with a tough beard. Your experience may well be different.

Could be onto something:

Interestingly, there has been some research:

But I have a developing theory. The blade manufacturers (most) try to ensure that a blade comes from the factory pre-honed and polished, as sharp and smooth as it gets, and frequently with microscopic quality checks. I shave with zero pressure on the razor - and I mean literally zero. I don't always achieve that, and my shave lets me know, but as close to zero as possible. I know that's the ideal, but I believe some, or most, of us don't achieve that. So shaving with a used blade - even a single use - I can tell almost immediately. If you apply pressure during your shave - any pressure - a sharper blade is more likely to remove layers of epidermis along with the beard, even a little. Providing a less comfy shave. As the blade edge wears, you are less likely to trim skin - even a little - with beard, with a less sharp blade. That could account for the "smoother" feel experienced by some with subsequent shaves. Technique specific. Just a theory, but I like it. Or not. Or could very much be blade-specific, as you point out. Would be interesting to hear if other single-use shavers experience the same thing. :001_smile

Last edited:
Lately I've been rotating so many blades that I take them out and stick em back in the wrapper.
Re-wrapping of the blade is part of my routine, too, since I change blade brands/switch my razors regularly. Never encountered any issues with the blades if carefully(!) put back into the wrapper. I always let the blade dry on a magnet beforehand.

Could be onto something:

Interestingly, there has been some research:

But I have a developing theory. The blade manufacturers (most) try to ensure that a blade comes from the factory pre-honed and polished, as sharp and smooth as it gets, and frequently with microscopic quality checks. I shave with zero pressure on the razor - and I mean literally zero. I don't always achieve that, and my shave lets me know, but as close to zero as possible. I know that's the ideal, but I believe some, or most, of us don't achieve that. So shaving with a used blade - even a single use - I can tell almost immediately. If you apply pressure during your shave - any pressure - a sharper blade is more likely to remove layers of epidermis along with the beard, even a little. Providing a less comfy shave. As the blade edge wears, you are less likely to trim skin - even a little - with beard, with a less sharp blade. That could account for the "smoother" feel experienced by some with subsequent shaves. Technique specific. Just a theory, but I like it. Or not. Or could very much be blade-specific, as you point out. Would be interesting to hear if other single-use shavers experience the same thing. :001_smile

The manufacturers do hone and polish their edges. However, the final steps involve applying some type of coating to the blade. This coating makes the blade smoother, which is an advantage. However, the coating also makes the apex of the blade thicker and somewhat rounded, thus reducing sharpness. The thicker the coating, the smoother and less sharp the edge will be. As you use the blade, the coating starts to wear off exposing the apex in its naked glory. Thus, it becomes less smooth, but sharper.

The Personna Comfort Coated lab blues seem to have a particularly thick coating as implied by the blade description. With those blades, the change to smoothness and sharpness during use is quite noticeable. The Lab Blue blades tug at my beard badly during the 1st shave, but by the second are cutting smoothly.

Your theory predicts the blade will feel smoother with subsequent shaves. With Feather blades, I find the exact opposite. Although they are still sharp on the third shave, the edge becomes so rough on my sensitive skin that I have to change the blade.

Anyone who uses blades "one and done" may not ever detect the change in the blade during their shave, although the improvement in sharpness that occurs during the shave may help with the ATG pass near the end of the shave.

Most leave the blade in the razor.

But it depends on the blade. If you're using a Silver Blue, I rinse the blade after a shave. If you're using an Astra - well, the first shave will be spectacular, but I'd toss the blade afterwards.

In fact, there are a bunch of blades I'd jettison after a single use.

Top Bottom