What's new

Is it just me, or our beards more popular now than ever?

Well, I don't too much business in this particular category as I have never had a beard and probably won't have one for a long time, though it is something I have secretly wanted to do.

Anyway, I think beards are more popular than ever. THere are a lot of beards seen on TV, in commercials, shows, music videos, etc. One look I see a lot of is short hair (on head) with a beard.

SO my question is: are beards actually seeing a wave of increased popularity, or is this just my imagination?

Don't know. Maybe it's a case of seeing more of what you're looking for. I'm sure I'll notice a lot more after reading this.:bored:

Not beards, just no shaving. I think it's a bit of laziness. A "real" beard requires attention. Stubble does not.

Went into an Art of Shaving store this summer and the young guy running the store had one of the nicest beards I've seen in a long time. Not a 2-3 day growth, a real beard. It wasn't too long and was very nearly trimmed. THAT was a beard, not the stubble these guys have today.

Lots of Van Dykes at the office. Maybe 25% of the male employees. It seems to be the same for the general populous.

I didn't shave for 12 years. Did not even trim my beard. When I had my barber cut it off, it was down to my belt line.

It got to the point that people would move to the other side of the street when they saw me approaching (yea it was scarey looking)

Haven's seen more than a day's whiskers since removing it 4 years ago :nonod:

I wear a Van Dyke and have for a couple of years. Before that I had a full beard but it's gotten too gray and makes me look way older than I am. The look I don't like is a shaved head with a full beard, that seems pretty popular on the college campus where I attend classes. Like you I think they have become more popular lately.

I grow a full beard in the winter as I work outside and hunt. Ive noticed recently a lot of younger guys (Im 29) attempting to grow beards. Patchy and spotty. Then theres the "no shave November" crowd who believe trimming and shaving of the neck isnt an option.

I grow mine seasonally for practicality. I trim my moustache. Shape my beard. Use Honest Amish beard balm, and comb/brush it out multiple times a day. I get a lot of comments on it.

I do think beards are a lot more popular albeit not for the better IMHO. If youre gonna do it. Do it right and seperate yourself from the people described above

I think there is a general throwback culture boom going on in a America. My brother sent me a video of some show called Portlandia and they were joking that people are reverting back to the 1890s. He was making fun of me because of my mustache and shaving habits (along with smoking a pipe).

It would make for an interesting sociological survey. My theory is that people are so overwhelmed by the rapid advances in technology that things like growing a beard, wet shaving, and other traditional practices give a sense of individualism. There is something comforting knowing that the way things were done yesteryear can still be not only applied, but enjoyed as well.

I think there is a general throwback culture boom going on in a America. My brother sent me a video of some show called Portlandia and they were joking that people are reverting back to the 1890s. He was making fun of me because of my mustache and shaving habits (along with smoking a pipe).

It would make for an interesting sociological survey. My theory is that people are so overwhelmed by the rapid advances in technology that things like growing a beard, wet shaving, and other traditional practices give a sense of individualism. There is something comforting knowing that the way things were done yesteryear can still be not only applied, but enjoyed as well.

I think it's cyclic goes around every few decades. I personally agree with the throw back to the simplier times. Of course I have had a beard in one form or another since I was 19 and am now 41. I currently wear a handlebar and goatee.

I also heard somewhere that the economy has a part in what people do with their facial hair. I don't remember the specifics but they say they go hand in hand.

Last edited:
I decided to grow a beard a few years back and haven't looked back since. I am noticed more and more men with beards nowadays.

I grew a beard out of laziness initially. The wife commented on me not shaving for several days (after my daughter was born). Then she said "I wonder what you'd look like with a beard", and that was that. I do probably need to trim it more than I do though.

Yes popularity for beards has grown. I've had a beard for years, and years before the upward trend. Folks would make jokes at me about it, and now I see those same folks sporting beards.... kind of ironic. It's become so trendy I'm tempted to shave it off just because.

I think that clearly Beards are more popular these days. They were not big in the 80s and 90s, but they have come on in the 2000s, especially in the 2010s

I've had a mustache and goatee since I was 14. I've only shaved it off twice. Once for a job, and once for court. I look like a man baby without facial hair. I come from a long line of bearded men, but I'm not sure I could grow a full beard. I can't connect my mustache and goatee. The most I've let my facial hair go is about a week, because the itching starts making me crazy.

I will say, then trend is real. And the women are on board for the most part too. At least the ones around my age - 27. I've been debating on trying and seeing what I can grow. But I'm also a head shaver, so I'd be "that guy" too.

I am seeing way more facial hair from HS boys on up to the 50 year old crowd. And it is folks who did not have one before.

Top Bottom