What's new

Is Charcoal Goods still relevant?

They're still relevant @alwinvrm and, for me, are the pinnacle of modern brass razors when both form and function are taken into consideration.

I'm not sure that I would say that they are as good as some of the current / recent stainless steel offerings, with the RS-10, Rocnel Elite, Timeless 0.95 SB and H&S No75 being better razors in terms of smoothness of shave, and I think that the Karve offers a better overall package in either the brass or stainless steel option.

My personal experience with CG is that, while it didn't work for me as a tool, it is a very solid company, one worthy of consumers' money. I really like CG as a company, and I wish it continued success.

IMHO CG razors are top tier. I have several in different metals and love them. Also the handles are wonderful and I have non-CG heads on 4 or 5 of them. Like everything else in the world of wet shaving YMMV but I refined without hesitation.

8E69791F-8974-43B8-9189-F02BFE08684F.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would say still relevant, for now... and I would categorize them alongside Timeless and maybe a few others (ATT, Rex, Blackland, Rocnell, Tatara)... High End Attainable...

versus...

Wolfman Razors = High End Virtually Unattainable... Five or six years ago I was really jonesing to get a Wolfman razor but as the price continued to spiral upward and obtaining one became harder and harder I forgot about them. I just went to the website to check them out for the first time in years... $600 plus for a razor and stand... Just silly... That's what in would consider moving toward irrelevant.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I agree, I have no problem with a razor or brush costing many hundreds of pounds as either it is worth it to me or it is not. Either I will pay the asking price or I will not. What I do expect is for a manufacturer to make it easy for me to spend my money. I am not going on a waiting list or staying up until the early hours of the morning for a product drop no matter how desirable the item may appear. No brush or razor is worth that, to me. I wonder at times if the scarcity of items is maintained in order to justify their cost and enhance their reputation. Perhaps this has an artificial effect on their perceived performance and their supposed desirability, at least until the next must have item comes along that is even harder to obtain and therefore even better. To me it simply makes them an irrelevant curiosity.

They're still relevant @alwinvrm and, for me, are the pinnacle of modern brass razors when both form and function are taken into consideration.

I'm not sure that I would say that they are as good as some of the current / recent stainless steel offerings, with the RS-10, Rocnel Elite, Timeless 0.95 SB and H&S No75 being better razors in terms of smoothness of shave, and I think that the Karve offers a better overall package in either the brass or stainless steel option.

This certainly sounds conflicted.....

This certainly sounds conflicted.....

My views are pretty simply laid out in my post:

In terms of form and function the CG is at the top of the Brass razor tree.

The Karve is a much cheaper package with excellent functionality but the artistic form is significantly less aesthetic value than the CG, hence it is not at the top of the tree.

A number of Stainless Steel razors shave better.

In what way are my views conflicted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have one CG razor, a copper lvl 2 with a Bishop variant handle. I had to wait about six months to get the handle. I'd really like to try the SS version, but probably won't since I have four very nice SS razors and no titanium yet. If I saw a CG SS on the used market it would have to be a significant savings over a new one to interest me.

First two shaves with my Charcoal Goods Level 2 copper. Wow, I love a razor that i instantly get along with and get great shaves from. This razor is heavy but is as smooth as a .84 GC or Plate 5 6s. Beautiful hammered copper handle matches my Captains Choice bowl as well once polished.

After a quick 2 pass shave, I am stunned at how efficient and smooth it was, this is undoubtedly one of the best razors (Vintage and Modern) in the 6 years I’ve been wet shaving. Reaching a level of efficiency, blade feel, angle, smoothness and exposure that shaves this well is a treat.
EA96DA4B-3F8D-4465-AA93-817477445406.jpeg
D66C886D-C806-4BFC-9FE0-798910AB5C78.jpeg

And here it is ... thanks again for all your help. Very careful and first impression, it is a very smooth but very effective as well, great combination. Now I am curious about the lvl3 SB
DSCF9129_S.jpg

I had the level 3. It is extremely aggressive. Much more aggressive than the 2. I have a fairly thick stubble, but still the 3 was too much for me. For comparison the Rockwell level 6 was mild IMHO compared to the CG 3. So I wound up getting the CG 2 plate & am very happy with it.

Oh, it's definitely still relevant, and will always be. It's not going to stop shaving how it shaves. And the benchmarks it has set in performance and comfort aren't somehow diminished by the release of newer razors. Unless my face changes pretty significantly as I get old, I can only see it always being one of my favorite razors. I sure hope my face doesn't change too much!

I have two CG razors and love them both. My favorite is the SS LV2 with Bishop handle. My only regret is not picking up a SS stinger handle to match. I'm hoping some day CG will machine another batch of those amazing handles.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Just a newbie question on Charcoal goods. What is the difference between level 1, 2 and 3. I presume this is some kind of gab, but can’t find the info anywhere.
Many thanks,
-Bill

Oh, it's definitely still relevant, and will always be. It's not going to stop shaving how it shaves. And the benchmarks it has set in performance and comfort aren't somehow diminished by the release of newer razors. Unless my face changes pretty significantly as I get old, I can only see it always being one of my favorite razors. I sure hope my face doesn't change too much!
not to mention now that there won't be anymore made there's going to be highly sought after now, so they'll be talked about in this community for a long time I'd wager

Top Bottom