What's new

Is aftershave REALLY necessary?

If I didn't use aftershave, I might not shave at all, which would make my mugs/soaps/creams/brushes sad...

Totally unnecessary. I shaved from 15-33 without using it. My skin was no better or worse. But now? Totally addicted to it. It’s the best part of a shave to me. So i’d say if you don’t want to spend $ on it or don’t like it, just skip it.

This describes me almost perfectly. For years I never used aftershave and had no negative effects. In the last few months I've started using aftershave splashes just for the scent and have noticed no changes in the quality of my skin post shave.

So to the op, I would say that aftershave isn't necessary, especially if you have oily skin anyway. The only time I would say an aftershave might be necessary is if you have very dry skin and then you might want to apply a balm of some type. But, you don't have that issue so I say skip the aftershave and save the money.

Necessary? It all depends on who you ask... :biggrin1:

A peer reviewed study on aftershave concluded that regular users:

1. Routinely won the lottery.
2. Had ladies insisting on buying them a drink.
3. Spent most winters on a beach.

View attachment 1143075
I'm sorry to say...

This isn't the post of the week...

It's the post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to answer the OP, aftershave isn't necessary, but it makes the experience more enjoyable. A razor & blades aren't necessary either, just grind a rock to a sharp edge & use that. Or actually, lets get back to our roots - don't shave!

Necessary? No, but can be considered as part of the entire spa treatment.

I've recently decided to take a break from aftershaves except when paired with a matching shaving soap or cream. My current post shave ritual involves a splash made from a mixture of witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and tea tree oil. This is followed by application of the aftershave. When my current bottle is empty (should be this weekend), I plan to switch to balms for the added moisturizing benefits.

I have my Co9T and Aqua Velva blue (Mrs. Rookie really really likes it). I don't do it often. I look at it like using a toll road. I don't need to, but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself. Good scents don't have to be expensive scents and the bottle will last long enough.

I absolutely need aftershave. Without it, my skin tends to get raised bumps. The aftershave helps clean and sanitize my face after a shave.

I skipped AS for years. However, not long ago, I received a bottle of Captain's Choice Nor'Easter. It still isn't a necessity, but it sure is nice. In fact, I will be ordering another bottle soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nothing is “necessary”. You would be just fine with alum or witch hazel or both. Each of the alum, witch hazel, aftershave splash and balm does something different but with some overlap. I use alum to stop weepers and for toning. I use witch hazel for its general healing properties. Aftershave splash gives a bit of moisturizing and the ones with alcohol offer antiseptic properties. And of course you get those amazing scents. And the balm provides much more moisturizing, especially in the winter. Mix and match all or none. It’s all up to what you like.

Nothing is “necessary”. You would be just fine with alum or witch hazel or both. Each of the alum, witch hazel, aftershave splash and balm does something different but with some overlap. I use alum to stop weepers and for toning. I use witch hazel for its general healing properties. Aftershave splash gives a bit of moisturizing and the ones with alcohol offer antiseptic properties. And of course you get those amazing scents. And the balm provides much more moisturizing, especially in the winter. Mix and match all or none. It’s all up to what you like.

YES .... Listen to Frank Zappa, as he is offering great advice.

Top Bottom