What's new

Is aftershave REALLY necessary?

Is Aftershave Necessary?

If you want to date my daughter it is!
Wait i don't have a daughter,,, But same apply's for any of my son's?
Actually i do skip AS from time to time, but i notice people look at me strange when i do.

I find that some kind of aftershave balm to be necessary to moisturize the skin at the end. I do substitute it with shea butter for now but without balms, my skin dries up and flakes.

Reactions: bjm

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I began using a witch hazel facial toner right after shaving and am getting good results. I apply after have splashes like cologne, around collarbone, shoulders, back of neck etc. I like the vintage drugstore scents, but limit what I put on my face. I get decent nourishing properties from the soaps/ creams I use and figure I have a neutral skin type. This system seems to agree with me.

Reactions: bjm
It’s definitely not necessary.
It can actually cause post shave irritation at times. A good cold water rinse can do the job just as well. I use it just because I wanna smell good. And I like the tight feeling it gives to the skin.

To me, the alcohol-based aftershave is the best part of my daily shave. I suspect I wouldn't be inspired to shave every day if I weren't able to look forward to the aftershave, especially Chatillon Lux, Declaration Grooming or Maol Grooming.

I may one the few men that Shave then shower...So after shave would be pointless...I do use an excellent facial moisturizer after the shower.

Nah. Mostly depends on how your face feels after the shave. Some aftershaves have so much “skin food” in them that they do more harm than good for some people.

Aftershave isn't necessary, it's a choice like everything else. However, looking at the original argument you are asking if cold water or an alum block would work, they do, but substituting aftershave for an alum block will still cost money and after each use it degrades and will eventually have to be replaced just like an aftershave.

See, the thing is I don't rinse the alum off. I let it sit there, dry my face and then apply the AS afterwards.
Me too. It is anti-bacterial. Why not leave it on? When you use alum as an underarm deoderant (and you should), you do not rinse it off. You leave it on. That is what makes it effective.

Aftershave gave me nothing but shaving woes. Now it's just a warm water rinse to get the residual soap off followed by a nice cool water refreshing rinse to finish it, no alum either. Pat dry with a soft towel. Done.

My dad has never used aftershave. Shave, shower and done. Not even a cold water rinse or alum.
I would like to try that, but then how could I justify all the aftershave bottles I have bought ?!

Can you clarify what the harm and the good are?
For some people, soaps or aftershaves that contain too many skin goodies to help with healing and adding moisture to the skin can cause their skin to break out or make it super oily. Helpful for people with normal to dry skin not so much for a few that suffer from super oily skin or work in hot humid environment.

Totally unnecessary, it's just that commercials tell you that you need it. Ok some people like the smell or are used to the ritual, so that's probably a reason to use it. If you want to take care of your skin, a few drops of jojoba oil are probably better

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Yes, aftershave is necessary. You shave you do something after. Might be cold water, alum, witch hazel, Aqua Velva, your favourite balm, a Mic drop or any combination of a multitude. But unless your shave is your final act, you're going to perform some sort of aftershave.

Top Bottom