What's new

Interim Low-cost Briefcase

I have found myself with a bit of a quandry, and need a touch of guidance from the experienced. The nylon laptop bag that I've been using is almost completely shot. Normally this would be cause to celebrate, because it means an upgrade. The problem is, I am almost done with college and can fulfill my promise to myself. I made a vow that I would wait until graduation to get a Saddleback briefcase as a reward to myself. I have kept it going even when I had the money, and I am almost done. 1 or 2 more classes remain depending on what math I test into.
So do I cheap out for now on a lower-quality bag, or do I sink another chunk of money into something that will be replaced by the end of the year? I somehow destroy nylon and neoprene so I was looking at canvas, but good ones tend to start at around the $150 mark.

Many moons ago I was looking for a "cheap" stopgap briefcase when I was an over the road truck driver. I found a decent one at The Salvation Army Goodwill for a couple of bucks and it got me through a month or two and probably could have lasted much longer. It was an old school square traditional case in black.

Last edited:
Many vintage leather attaches on the bay. I have been watching a few lawyer and/or doctor styles lately. Not sure what low-cost means to you, but many have lots of life in them and are $50 or less. Good luck with your search, and getting rid of the nylon! And congrats on finishing school.

If you can afford the Saddleback and are confident in your ability to complete classwork I would go ahead and purchase it. I feel that would be most practical and not break the spirit of your promise. Particularly if you don't ratchet up things and use that as an excuse to get yourself a second graduation present. ;-) On the other hand you could probably find a short term nylon bag for less than $20 at a big box store.

Save the purchase for your original intention. Go with a cheap bag or even a messenger bag that you can use for other purposes down the road.

Buy yourself a messenger bag. It will do the job short term of carrying a laptop and papers until you get through school. Afterwards, it is always handy to have as a backup or for when you want something less formal and noticeable to carry.

Treat yourself to the real deal when you are ready.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you can afford the Saddleback and are confident in your ability to complete classwork I would go ahead and purchase it. I feel that would be most practical and not break the spirit of your promise. Particularly if you don't ratchet up things and use that as an excuse to get yourself a second graduation present. ;-) On the other hand you could probably find a short term nylon bag for less than $20 at ...

... a Salvation Army thrift store.

proxy.php

5.00 Max at a thrift store for a decent bag/pack. Look for YKK zippers. Check every pocket/nook cranny. Make sure it passes the smell test.

i like Filson, they last forever (well, almost). I carry a medium field bad for the past 5 years, no significant signs of wear yet..
A bit spendy but you get what you pay for...

Hmm well it appears that a new factor has entered the mix. I got a $50 gift card to LL Bean from a quarterly rewards program at work. That puts the basic canvas messenger bag at about a $30 cost to me with free shipping. Or I can go up a model :)

Get a cheap one from LL Bean or ebags. Have you seen a saddleback briefcase, do you realize how heavy they are?
Yes. My brother carries a Saddleback bag. He had a classic originally, but swapped it for a thin. I haven't decided whether I want to just get the classic and deal with the weight, or land in-between and get a front-pocket thin.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes. My brother carries a Saddleback bag. He had a classic originally, but swapped it for a thin. I haven't decided whether I want to just get the classic and deal with the weight, or land in-between and get a front-pocket thin.

Thin.

I have both. I make this recommendation not based on weight, but on design. The thin is designed to be carried as a rectangle (albeit a thin rectangle.) You carry it empty or loaded to max, it always carries and hangs from the hand the same (proper) way.

The original, however, is designed to be carried as a triangle. Look at it from the end, when empty ... a triangle! You can kind of see it here:

proxy.php

Carry it empty, and the handle is perfectly situated at the apex of the triangle so the bag hangs down straight. Toss in a few smaller items, and no change. Load it up as much as you'd load up the "slim" and no real change either. But then, as you get closer and closer to loading it up to it's apparent "max capacity", the geometry of the bag changes from triangle to rectangle ... but with the handle at the same spot on the top flap, it moves from the centre of the bag towards the back ... this photo of an Amazon knock-off sort of shows this problem ...

proxy.php

The result being: the bag does not hang down properly from the handle, but at an angle (with the bottom edge of the bag hanging in towards you and digging into your leg as you carry the bag.)

Top Bottom