What's new

Insomnia Anyone?

Anyone else on here have insomnia? I have had it for years and it seems to be worse at different times. Any cures? I know that as I age I don't need as much sleep as when I was younger, but still...can be frustrating at times. Now when I can't sleep I just read until I feel like sleeping again.

I've had sleep onset insomnia for about 20 years, but manage 4-6 hours on weeknights. Weekends I get to catch up a bit. Luckily I sleep great once I am asleep.

I highly recommend reading "Insomnia" by Stephen King, just because he definitely gets what it feels like - the protagonist tries just about home remedy you can think of (spoiler, none of them work) and his waking hours feel very familiar :001_smile

Advice wise, I find that just not caring is the best way. I don't go to bed until I'm tired, regardless of what time that means; I don't have a visible clock anywhere near me in the bedroom; I don't bargain ("If I get to sleep by 3am, I can still get 4 hours"); and if I'm starting to toss and turn or fidget, I get up and read for a bit.

There's also the method of first and second sleep, if your schedule allows it. Our ancestors didn't get a steady 8 hours sleep per night. They would sleep for 4 hours in one portion of the day and then 4 more at a later time in the day. Career based society has created the mandatory 8 hour resting period that we all know and stress about getting today.

I had same issue. Went to doc and now I take half a trazodone pill before bed each night. Works great.

Advice wise, I find that just not caring is the best way. I don't go to bed until I'm tired, regardless of what time that means; I don't have a visible clock anywhere near me in the bedroom; I don't bargain ("If I get to sleep by 3am, I can still get 4 hours"); and if I'm starting to toss and turn or fidget, I get up and read for a bit.
I agree. I don't worry about it too much either. I just try to go with the flow. As long as I get a few hours I am fine. Reading is a good solution, it helps pass the time but it wakes my wife. I have one of those clip on LED lights that I attach to my book. Or I surf B&B on my i-pad...either way it works fine.

Last edited:
I sleep for about 3 hours, wake for a couple, either read or get on B&B. Back to sleep for another 3-4 hours before work. Really annoying, but I feel better than when I sleep a solid night. I don't get it.

Another insomniac here. When I was in college and law school I got four hours sleep a night. I am up to 6 now - on a good night. I have gone to a doctor who prescribed some sleeping pills and I take those on rare occasions.

Always an insomniac, also a bit paranoid of a person. Not a huge surprise I got PTSD, my wife says I talk in my sleep to and apparently tell her to check the back yard for terrorists, kind of a bit funny. At least I don't sleep walk.

I get 4-6 hrs a night. If I know I don’t have to get up I can sleep for 8 hrs but some nights I get 2 to 3 hrs . I have had good results with melatonin but it makes me pee a lot and if I don’t fall asleep within 30 min of taking it I’m up all night

A single nightcap can help, if you drink. But the best thing I found was retirement. Most nights now 5 to 7 hours of sleep. Reduced stress, better sleep.

I haven't had this affliction, but my wife has a terrible time with it. She used melatonin for a while, but that didn't help in the long run. Now she just goes on facebook or goes and watches television.

Anyone else on here have insomnia? I have had it for years and it seems to be worse at different times. Any cures? I know that as I age I don't need as much sleep as when I was younger, but still...can be frustrating at times. Now when I can't sleep I just read until I feel like sleeping again.

See your doctor; quite seriously, get a neurology referral and a brain scan with contrast. Meanwhile, Unisom.

Odds are it's nothing serious, but get it checked out.

Last edited:
I wonder how many cases of insomnia have an underlying cause such as Apnea? I mention that because I believe various breathing problems while sleeping are more common than many people think and interfere with deep sleep.

Once asleep I can stay that way for a long while, though I have snored myself awake before.

I'm not an Insomniac, I'm a Night Owl.

I've always been feeling most on my game in the middle of the night,
its too bad that artificial boundaries like work schedules got in the way of me reaching my full potential.

Now that I'm #Retired, I can make my own schedules,
so its not unusual for me to stay up 'til the sun rises,
then lay down for several hours sleep.
Its also good to just cat-nap in my car when I'm out and about.

But the OP was asking about cures, and I found one.
Valerian Root is an herbal supplement you can find at WalMart for under $4,
it is safe, clean, no side-effects, and the next day I always feel calm and well-rested.
I take 1 tablet a night for just general purposes,
2 if I want to force myself to sleep for 8 hours,
3 if I want to sleep for 12.

Mine is getting worse as I age. Down to about four or five hours of sleep on an average night. I am taking Melatonin but can't tell if it is helping or not.

I sleep for about 3 hours, wake for a couple, either read or get on B&B. Back to sleep for another 3-4 hours before work.

This is similar to me, Bill. I remember a line from Ridley Scott's first movie, The Duellists:
"I'm an old man - awake at odd times, asleep at odd times . . ." Now I know what he meant.

For the last year or so, I have taken one Tylenol PM (that's half the recommended adult dose), when going to bed. I think it helps me fall asleep, but the main thing is when I wake up 3 or 4 hours later, I can get back to sleep. I feel better with the extra sleep.

Top Bottom