What's new

Insomnia Anyone?

Anyone tried SleepMD?

proxy.php

Been extra stressed about a few things so wanted to augment the healthy sleep behavior with something herbal. I bought a box last week and I think its working. Do seem to get drowsy and drift off quicker. Only thing I don't like is the pills stink like nasty feet. Nauseating actually.

Make a tea of chamomile and linden flowers. Drink it half an hour before beddie bye. Also, 50mg of diphenhydramine will also do the trick. Cannot take that constantly but it works. Some also like Valerian tincture. Melatonin may also be of value. I am no fan of sleeping meds. People get up in a hyper somnolent state, fall and suffer horrible injuries. Try naturals first. Chamomile and Linden tea. I double bag each in a tea pot, let it steep a few and drink it. Tastes good and won't hurt you either. If I get 6 hours of sleep I call it a vacation. Before using diphenhydramine or Melatonin and Valerian, speak with your doc or pharmacist. You do not want to take it concomitantly with certain medications.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to sleep reasonably well when I was younger. I worked rotating shifts for many years and then starting to find sleep difficult. I now work mainly early mornings to early afternoons. I find when I go to bed, I can usually drift off to sleep reasonably quickly but I wake after a few hours and then it seems to be every 1 and 1/2 hours a wake again. I have not tried any medication as I have seen too many friends "hooked"on pills. Then if I try warm milks and teas you are up going to the toilet/bathroom during the night. Hassles of getting older.

I used to sleep reasonably well when I was younger. I worked rotating shifts for many years and then starting to find sleep difficult. I now work mainly early mornings to early afternoons. I find when I go to bed, I can usually drift off to sleep reasonably quickly but I wake after a few hours and then it seems to be every 1 and 1/2 hours a wake again. I have not tried any medication as I have seen too many friends "hooked"on pills. Then if I try warm milks and teas you are up going to the toilet/bathroom during the night. Hassles of getting older.

Try Melatonin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is getting worse as I age. Down to about four or five hours of sleep on an average night. I am taking Melatonin but can't tell if it is helping or not.

Melatonin can help you get to sleep, but it's half life in the body is relatively short so it will do little to help keep you asleep.

I have good luck with a combination of Valerian Root and time-release Melatonin. As jkingrph mentioned above, the half life of Melatonin is pretty short, but the time-release version seems to keep me asleep for longer. I also don't do anything on my phone or iPad for an hour before going to bed, and normally I read (book (paper, not e-book) or magazine) for a half hour or so before I turn in. Works fairly well for me, although there are a few nights where nothing works and I maybe get 4 hours of sleep and spend the rest tossing around in the bed.

Weed. Several of my friends say it is the fix but like any sleep aid, it is a patch that can become habit-forming.

If you want to fall asleep, try to stay awake. Eyes open, staring at the ceiling. That's why you always fall asleep just before you have to wake up.

Backpackers know that you get more sleep than you think. Your body handles that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom