What's new

Input on new bag

Hey gents, I'm looking for an accessory for my pens.....a leather messenger bag, lol. Something that can double as a laptop bag and possibly pass off as a briefcase. Okay, maybe I'm just looking for a briefcase/laptop bag that can be carried over the shoulder. I've been looking for a few months and price really isn't a consideration, but style and functionality are important. Has to be leather though, and my dilemma is that I don't really dig the look of Saddleback, but I'm certainly sold on their quality. That said, I'd like something a bit more modern looking with similar functionality and quality. Not too much to ask, huh? That's why this quest has lasted almost 2 months now, but when I buy it...I want to be certain because I'm sure it's going to be pricey.

I've scoured the boards here, looking at all manner of bags and the general consensus is Saddleback. As I stated earlier though, I'm not sold on the "look" of the bags. Don't hate it, but if I spend $400-$600 on a bag...I want to LOVE it, lol. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance and look forward to hearing suggestions.

Last edited:
Months ago I made the switch from a tactical EDC bag to something more "office" friendly. At that time I did not know there where so many quality makers out there so I went for what was popular and quality made which was Saddleback. I am happy with the product but having learned more found I would be just as happy with some of the other options out there. If you're on Facebook there are some really great leather pages on there. Search for "Saddleback and other" , and some pages should come up, one a buy/sell/trade page and the other a review page. Also search for "leather bag hobbists" and "leatherwerk" The last page is a guy named Men Werro, and he specializes in vintage leather. I bought a small purse for my wife that is made from a 110 year old swiss binocular case.

As far as companies here is a small list that I know off the top of my head:
Bexar
Colonel Littleton
Love41
Renaissance Art (my wife has thier satchel , and the leather is incredible)

Can't think of anymore at the moment. Part of the fun is the research, enjoy !

Months ago I made the switch from a tactical EDC bag to something more "office" friendly. At that time I did not know there where so many quality makers out there so I went for what was popular and quality made which was Saddleback. I am happy with the product but having learned more found I would be just as happy with some of the other options out there. If you're on Facebook there are some really great leather pages on there. Search for "Saddleback and other" , and some pages should come up, one a buy/sell/trade page and the other a review page. Also search for "leather bag hobbists" and "leatherwerk" The last page is a guy named Men Werro, and he specializes in vintage leather. I bought a small purse for my wife that is made from a 110 year old swiss binocular case.

As far as companies here is a small list that I know off the top of my head:
Bexar
Colonel Littleton
Love41
Renaissance Art (my wife has thier satchel , and the leather is incredible)

Can't think of anymore at the moment. Part of the fun is the research, enjoy !

Thanks, I'll check them out tonight!! Any other ideas from anyone else?

Ooooh, I do like the Mitchell bags, but my problem is that I don't dig the buckles that much. However, I do really like the layout of the bag and that may outweigh the buckle issue

I've had a Rawlings bag for years that's treated me very well. They've gone up in price recently but they're unique and have plenty of different designs.

Whatever you get - imagine it well worn in. What it looks like in pictures on a website, and when it first shows up is far different than how it will look in 5-10 years. If you're getting a high end leather bag - it should easily last 30+ years, so small things like buckles, etc will be irrelevant compared to the design of the bag fitting your needs, comfort, size, etc.

I find saddleback products seem to get better with age. Often when I first receive them (bull belt, tow belt, full size briefcase, large backpack, bi-fold wallet, etc) I find them to be overly stiff, heavy and uninspiring. After a few years of use, they become a second set of skin. I own a Mitchell's briefcase and am quite fond of it, so don't count them out (I actually did and in-depth comparo) - but I will say the Saddleback products truly get better with age. I received a Large Saddleback backpack as a gift and it's the same story. I got it about 2 weeks ago, but it's so rigid and stiff that I haven't used it once as i've been avoiding the break-in time. That said, i'm confident it will mold/shape to my body and will build character as I break it in over the years. While i'm avoiding it now, i'm sure 10 years from now it will be a dear friend. Not many products on the market can deliver such a unique experience, that only seems to get better.

If it's truly a "pen holster" the Mitchell is unbeatable as you can have them customize it with a full length pen sleeve and such. If you're looking for a "one bag does it all" - then the saddleback briefcase (full size, not slim) is an offering you can't ignore. There are dozens of brands out there and quite a few good options.

Just looked thru the website at Mitchell leather, suggested earlier in this thread. Wow, they make some incredible looking products.

I don't own anything from these guys, but their products look really cool. I have been eyeing the backpack for a while, but I haven't jumped because I would have preferred if it didn't have the leather top. They have tons of other bags and they appear to be very tastefully designed and well made.
http://www.sfbags.com/
I think they make everything in the US, in San Francisco.

Top Bottom