What's new

Injector Guidance

I'm looking to pick up an Injector and give it a shot. I have gathered that the blades here are good to start with:

http://hocks.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A557504

I also need to find a good starter razor. Suggestions would be great - I like the look of the M type razors, but would like to know which razors are good for those new to injectors.

Those are good blades. That's all I use.

If you can find a Schick "G" model that should work just fine. I use the G1 in the red case with the clear plastic top. They're pretty common.

Len

Last edited:
Those are fine blades from Hocks.

Here's a question to answer first that helped me figure out what I wanted: with DE razors, do you tend to prefer more or less aggressive? Aggressiveness can be an even more important issue to settle with injectors, is why I ask.

I tend to prefer mild to moderate. A Tech is bordering on too mild (except for the older, triangle-port models which are fine). Really like the feel of the Mühle heads, or a FatBoy on 3 or 4.

S

siouxsie

I tend to prefer mild to moderate. A Tech is bordering on too mild (except for the older, triangle-port models which are fine). Really like the feel of the Mühle heads, or a FatBoy on 3 or 4.

I recommend an adjustable then (M type) or a non-adjustable L-type. The earlier E,G,F razors etc, can be more aggressive.

I dig the E style with schick platinum or feather pro supers trimmed to fit.
Here is my E style with the rare black handle :thumbup1: from a SOTD last week.

proxy.php

S

siouxsie

proxy.php

Good God man, he said he wants a mild/medium shaver! :tongue_sm

The E-Type IS a mild shaver. If it's still too rough, I can recommend a Gold 500. Fantastic razor.

Last edited:
S

siouxsie

Some are and some aren't, they're inconsistent. Add in the Feather Pros and it's not for the meek.

proxy.php

Ohhhhhhhh, PM SENT!!! oh, uh, errr, check that, as you all were. :001_smile

That is a beautiful E. I just about got all my G's filled in, I really should start working on the E's.

-jim

Good God man, he said he wants a mild/medium shaver! :tongue_sm

oops :lol:, I read injector so I added in my favorite combo :blushing:

Some are and some aren't, they're inconsistent. Add in the Feather Pros and it's not for the meek.

oh yes! you almost have to do a reverse pressure or else :blink:

Ohhhhhhhh, PM SENT!!! oh, uh, errr, check that, as you all were. :001_smile

That is a beautiful E. I just about got all my G's filled in, I really should start working on the E's.

-jim

Thank you, I did pay a pretty penny but it is a pretty penny :biggrin1: Im only an E fan or which ever opens easy :biggrin1:

How do you trim the feather blades?

Tin snips or heavy shears, get them at the local hardware shop :thumbup1:

You sound a lot like me, then. except I now prefer moderate +.

I, too, suggest starting with the Schick G - a little extra bite but not horrible, and easy to come by. Anything more recent (except a Pal Adjustable) will be pretty mild by comparison even to the G. At least that's been my experience. The G will get the job done.

[in response to a question about how to trim Feather blades]Tin snips or heavy shears, get them at the local hardware shop :thumbup1:

But how exactly? Some of us like things spelled out.

Inject the entire extra length blade into the razor and trim off as much of the excess as possible? Does that still leave a jagged edge on one end?

Or somehow measure and trim before injecting? If so, how?

S

siouxsie

But how exactly? Some of us like things spelled out.

Inject the entire extra length blade into the razor and trim off as much of the excess as possible? Does that still leave a jagged edge on one end?

Or somehow measure and trim before injecting? If so, how?

It's a very valid question that I've wondered about myself. Is there blade curling? And normal injector blades have the corners cut off, so there are no sharp points on the sides. You would have those with clipped Feather Pros right? Any problems with that? Aren't the best injector blades plenty sharp enough?

I dont have any curling issues and I trim the sharp corner off.

Slivovitz, you sound a bit demanding which comes off as rude to me. Im not sure if that is your intention.

Im no expert nor did I come up with this, I found this out my looking around and reading up.

The way I do it is I trim the blade to the length of the regular injector blade first. I dont use a blade for a guide anymore because Im used to it. Then I snip the sharp corner, which isnt really needed since the nub on the schick razor hides it anyway. Since I use an E style that opens I just open it up and set the blade in. Ive read for other styles you need to load it in the key then inject it to the razor.

Sounds like a hassle but it only takes a few seconds.

The regular injector blades are plenty sharp but if you want the ultimate then go for the feather.

Hopes this helps guys :thumbup1:

S

siouxsie

Well, there you go...questions answered.

Thanks! I'm a bit clumsy so I think I'll stick with regular blades and just use the Pros in my Cobra. I'd have to load them into an injector and I can see blood in my future... :tongue_sm

I dont have any curling issues and I trim the sharp corner off.

Slivovitz, you sound a bit demanding which comes off as rude to me. Im not sure if that is your intention.

Im no expert nor did I come up with this, I found this out my looking around and reading up.

The way I do it is I trim the blade to the length of the regular injector blade first. I dont use a blade for a guide anymore because Im used to it. Then I snip the sharp corner, which isnt really needed since the nub on the schick razor hides it anyway. Since I use an E style that opens I just open it up and set the blade in. Ive read for other styles you need to load it in the key then inject it to the razor.

Sounds like a hassle but it only takes a few seconds.

The regular injector blades are plenty sharp but if you want the ultimate then go for the feather.

Hopes this helps guys :thumbup1:

I have to admit, I had the same questions. I have not heard of anyone doing this before. I may have to try it. Thanks.

. . .Slivovitz, you sound a bit demanding which comes off as rude to me. Im not sure if that is your intention.

Certainly not intentional, and I regret it if you see it that way. Just wanted to make it clear that more detail was desirable, so I asked a direct question. I've seen people mention clipping the Feather blades before, but what may seem obvious to some is not obvious to me.

Top Bottom