What's new

Ingredients That Cause You Irritation

FWIW, in my experience, it's not the specific ingredients that cause more/less inflammation.
Rather, it's residual too much alkali (potash, lye) leftover!
In my case, it's never been a big problem, just a moderate tingle.
Usually solved with a cold wash cloth rinse, then all good!

I have 4x soaps from the same manufacturer, all 4 using the same base and ingredients and only flagrance differs. One soap is fine on my skin, despite having the strongest scent (by far). The other three which have mild scents are burning my skin.

Curious what the soaps are and if the three that bother you have a common scent component. It’s got to be something in the fragrance, right?

Curious what the soaps are and if the three that bother you have a common scent component. It’s got to be something in the fragrance, right?
The soaps are from Officina Artigiana Milano. The one which is okay is the Stay Traditional. I really like this one, hence why I am on the second jar. My skin reacts with the Maremoto, Narjan and a tiny bit with 5 Oli del Benessere, which is almost lacking any scent. The latter is a super fatty one, I can see the oils clumping at the surface of the soap.

I am not sure if it's the fragrance or the base which might not be ph neutral. I am not a profesional soap maker, a chemical engineer or a dermatologist, so I can't say what's One thing is clear though, if I apply the lather on my face and leave it on for a few minutes without shaving, my skin is reacting. Same with applying the lather on my hands, I feel it a bit.

As far as I know, my skin is not sensitive to fragrance as I use their aftershaves/cologne and I don't have any issues.

Now, their scents and ingredients are described as:

Stay Traditional:
  • Top notes: Grapefruit, lemon
  • Heart notes: Peach, wild strawberries
  • Base notes: Ozone, salt, white musk
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Maremoto:
  • Top notes: Aquatic
  • Heart notes: Ozonized
  • Base notes: Green
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide.

Narjan:
  • Top notes: Citrus
  • Heart notes: Tobacco, violet
  • Base notes: Musk, labdanum, gray amber, cedarwood, sandalwood
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Prunus Amydgalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Methyl Dihydrojasmonate (Hedione), Sodium Hydroxide, Isoeugenol, Limonene

5 Oli del Benessere:
  • Top : birch, black pepper, orchids
  • Heart : honey, whisky, saffron, tobacco
  • Base : wood, amber, guaiac, barley
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil , sodium hydroxide, linalool

The soaps are from Officina Artigiana Milano. The one which is okay is the Stay Traditional. I really like this one, hence why I am on the second jar. My skin reacts with the Maremoto, Narjan and a tiny bit with 5 Oli del Benessere, which is almost lacking any scent. The latter is a super fatty one, I can see the oils clumping at the surface of the soap.

I am not sure if it's the fragrance or the base which might not be ph neutral. I am not a profesional soap maker, a chemical engineer or a dermatologist, so I can't say what's One thing is clear though, if I apply the lather on my face and leave it on for a few minutes without shaving, my skin is reacting. Same with applying the lather on my hands, I feel it a bit.

As far as I know, my skin is not sensitive to fragrance as I use their aftershaves/cologne and I don't have any issues.

Now, their scents and ingredients are described as:

Stay Traditional:
  • Top notes: Grapefruit, lemon
  • Heart notes: Peach, wild strawberries
  • Base notes: Ozone, salt, white musk
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Maremoto:
  • Top notes: Aquatic
  • Heart notes: Ozonized
  • Base notes: Green
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide.

Narjan:
  • Top notes: Citrus
  • Heart notes: Tobacco, violet
  • Base notes: Musk, labdanum, gray amber, cedarwood, sandalwood
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Prunus Amydgalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Methyl Dihydrojasmonate (Hedione), Sodium Hydroxide, Isoeugenol, Limonene

5 Oli del Benessere:
  • Top : birch, black pepper, orchids
  • Heart : honey, whisky, saffron, tobacco
  • Base : wood, amber, guaiac, barley
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil , sodium hydroxide, linalool

I’ve used both the 5 Oil del Benessere and the Maremoto and my experience, plus yours, makes me think the brand might not be the most precise when it comes to mixing ingredients.

I first tried the “5 oil” and liked the performance very much, but as you mentioned, there was hardly any scent to it at all. I next purchased the Maremoto, based on the scent description, but what I received didn’t match said description at all. Not even close.

My Maremoto smelled like the strongest sandalwood and powder I’ve ever experienced. I don’t like either scent component, even in small amounts, and the Maremoto smelled like I’d just stuck my nose in a bowl of sandalwood/powder essence.

It was heavy, cloying, and smothering. The kind of soap I might use if it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 Celsius) outside and there was a foot of snow on the ground.

It was so far off from the description that I wouldn’t consider another of their soaps. It’s a shame because the “5 Oil” was very nice; a top performer. But I could never buy another of their soaps with confidence after my Maremoto experience.

I also acknowledge that I’ve only tried two of their products, so perhaps I just got unlucky. But it doesn’t seem like the biggest brand and I wonder about the quality control given how different the Maremoto I received smelled from what was in the scent description. It makes me think there might be something “off” about the soaps that don’t agree with you.

I’m surprised how many have mentioned sandalwood as an irritant. Never would have guessed that one.
same for me. a soap with real sandalwood oil causes very mild stinging for me.
The A&E Kaizen AS splash was much worse. 30-40 seconds after application I get a burn, no redness, just unpleasant. (and it is nothing like the burn I'd get from overshaving and an alcohol based splash)

The only product I had a bad reaction was Stirling Pumpkin Spice.
Caused my skin to gradually turn red and have a burning sensation. Tried it a second time and had the same reaction.
Shame, but had to get rid of it.
Not sure what ingredient, most likely it something in the fragrance (cinamon?)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I gave away all my scented soaps except one. I just couldn't part with the Acca Kappa Barbershop.... It makes the most luxurious lather of any soap I've used... but it contains peppermint. If I use it sparingly, I can tolerate the burn for one shave but I only do it when I miss that luxurious lather. I'd never use it two shaves in a row, even though I shave every other day at the most.

I'm about to finish my first tub of any soap.. I used the Canada Shaving soap for 80% of my shaves this past two years. That's just an estimate I pulled out of my ummmmmm _____. But I've used it more than anything else. I'm going to 3107 my unscented Baume.be next.... It's almost as luxurious as the Acca Kappa Barbershop so it won't be a sacrifice.

FWIW, in my experience, it's not the specific ingredients that cause more/less inflammation.
Rather, it's residual too much alkali (potash, lye) leftover!

Interesting theory . . . something different from the usual fragrance thesis. Would excess residual alkali be reflected in a high pH reading?

The only Kryptonite to date for me out of 64 or so soaps has been Green Door (HSSC). Just the soap, which stings only the face; balm and splash are actually soothing and fine.

Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Lactate, Parfum, Hydrolyzed Silk Peptides (Silk Peptide), Tocopherol — Green Door soap ingredients

I’ve used both the 5 Oil del Benessere and the Maremoto and my experience, plus yours, makes me think the brand might not be the most precise when it comes to mixing ingredients.
Tried another jar of Narjan today. This one performed great. Since I really like the scent, I will keep it out and use it till I finish it.

Cella in the red tub made my skin turn red and itch, something in it doesn't agree with me. It was a shame as folks really like it and it smells devine.

Vitos Extra Coco doesn't bother me at all so the almond scent isn't the issue.

Top Bottom