What's new

Ingredients That Cause You Irritation

What ingredients do you steer clear of due to irritation?

Luckily for me it’s only a few scent components. Lime scents normally irritate my skin a little bit, particularly strong ones like Castle Forbes, but I use it anyway because it smells so good.

Cinnamon, clove, and pepper scents can also cause a bit of a burning sensation on my skin post-shave and so I avoid them as well.

Just curious what the most common irritants are among the B&B members.

I wish I knew.

Something in MWF burns my skin. It’s clear when I rinse with cold water, even more noticeable during the aftershave application.

Ph thing, a specific ingredient, I really don’t know… but it seems to make my skin angry.

And arko. A little different sensation, tingling, mild burning, less than MWF, but it’s there.

I wish I knew.
Same.

I have 4x soaps from the same manufacturer, all 4 using the same base and ingredients and only flagrance differs. One soap is fine on my skin, despite having the strongest scent (by far). The other three which have mild scents are burning my skin.

Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather skin food also burns my skin. That one is kind of horrible. The soap is absolutely fine though.

MWF does the same, to some extent.

Can't remember now other soaps that burn my skin. I usually just throw them away after one or two uses and forget about them.

The lanolin I‘d assume
I would have assumed the same, but I have many other soaps with lanolin and they are fine. Maybe it's the concentration, but without knowing more details it is difficult to say.

I would have assumed the same, but I have many other soaps with lanolin and they are fine. Maybe it's the concentration, but without knowing more details it is difficult to say.

I wish. I have other soaps with lanolin and no problem.

Lanolin isn’t lanolin. The difference in quality is vast as far as I know. So I wouldn’t rule it out. But naturally, could be something else.

Art of Shaving sandalwood. I looked like a tomato and it burned. Old spice deodorant did a number on me also. I was stupid and tried it just before leaving on vacation. I thought about going to urgent care due to the irritation. Fortunately, it calmed down.

I have a mild-moderate sensitivity to lanolin, although I used soaps with lanolin for over a year before I figured it out, blamed the post-shave discomfort on bad technique (which, some of it was). Some frags seem to bother my skin a little. Had a pretty strong reaction to Stirling Bergamot and Lavender beyond just the lanolin, over the course of a few shaves. Not sure which component it was because I've had other soaps with either bergamot or lavender that weren't a problem. Although I've read that there are different varieties of lavender used for EOs and some folks have reactions to one but not the other.

Dull blades are probably my other biggest irritant.

Top Bottom